Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
creative
I am Batman

Default apparently I have to vote today.

as the title says....

didnt even know there was an election on! and who am i suppose to be voting for as they have clearly done a good job of informing the public of who they are and what they do!

And If I dont want to... $55 fine. democracy my A*$e!

guess I will go stick the tail in the donkey!

creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: apparently I have to vote today.

I wonder how many elections you can not vote, receive the fine in the mail, fill out the section saying you did vote to avoid paying the fine, before they clue on that you are just full of it.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Yea'h funny thing was only talking to my dad about this yesterday been kept very quiet one could be excused for not even knowing an election of some muppets is on. I have not voted in over 20 years not going to start now it was a relatively easy process getting off the voting list.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And yet people in some other countries are fighting to the death for the right to vote............
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
XRDeeze
UTRIED

you have the right to remain silent

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Strange, I would have thought most local newspapers would have been all over it, both of ours have.

But I guess if you don't read newspapers...........
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

In researching Australia for my trip, one of the most surprising and interesting things I learned was that you are required to vote.

One hundred percent participation is certainly an admirable idea, but making it compulsory diminishes it a little.

Over here we only vote if we feel like it, which obviously gives us mixed results.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

because its compulsory they only have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. If it wasn't compulsory and they knew they had to appeal to people who gave a chit, and not just the dumbbasses, the self serving dorks might actually have to do a better job.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

I guess it is compulsory to turn up. Whether you vote or not, is another issue. Just remember though a donkey vote is a vote to keep the status quo.
Even this is flawed. Today I wasn't even asked to identify myself. A few years ago after I actually did vote, I received a fine in the mail saying I didn't vote. I wrote back saying, yes I did. End of story.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
because its compulsory they only have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. If it wasn't compulsory and they knew they had to appeal to people who gave a chit, and not just the dumbbasses, the self serving dorks might actually have to do a better job.
But I can't say our system is any better—typically the candidate who spends the most money campaigning wins.

You certainly have a different approach (the UK doesn't do that, correct?), and it's interesting to see how people feel differently about it.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really dont understand how people whinge about voting?

If you dont want to vote for anyone, show up, get your name off the list, fold the voting paper in half without voting for anyone and walk out.

As long as your name is crossed off the roll.. who cares what you do with the voting paper?

Quote:
And yet people in some other countries are fighting to the death for the right to vote............
exactly right. Sadly we have two issues here in this country.
1) a lack of decent candidates or parties to vote for.
2) a population who is largely ignorant about politics and who cant see the forest for the trees.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
But I can't say our system is any better—typically the candidate who spends the most money campaigning wins.
Least you guys have someone the majority voted for
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Not always!

You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) about how many Americans don't understand that we don't elect a president via popular vote. We have something called the Electoral College. A large number of us (not myself) thought it was invented in 2000.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
creative
I am Batman

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whinging about voting, but its the lack of decent people to vote for. A quick search this morning shows not one candidate that addresses anything that remotely affect me.

Even more so the fact that not one candidate has been out their promoting themselves.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I really dont understand how people whinge about voting?

If you dont want to vote for anyone, show up, get your name off the list, fold the voting paper in half without voting for anyone and walk out.

As long as your name is crossed off the roll.. who cares what you do with the voting paper?

exactly right. Sadly we have two issues here in this country.
1) a lack of decent candidates or parties to vote for.
2) a population who is largely ignorant about politics and who cant see the forest for the trees.

your absolutely right jim . COMPLACENCY AND APETHY .
the frog in the hot pot .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #16
coupxb

yes it is a shame. We shouldn't force those worms who font want the right to vote and keep it for the civilized population.
coupxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the worst part about voting is that the the facts are more often than not are presented to the voter in a way to get a cartain reaction, who ever does the best job at manipulating the facts ends up the winner, either way the poor average voter still ends up no more informed for the experience because pollies are masters of putting the facts they want you see in front ............and leaving pertinent facts buried in a thousand pages of jargon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I have never voted in my life for any government election. That is local/state/federal. I've been eligible to vote for the last 28 years - I refuse to. I disagree with the preferential voting system. I believe in "one vote, one value" I don't want my preferences going to another "preferred party". I can see how the preferential system works, and in theory I suppose it is fair - doesn't mean I agree with it. Majority rules in my case - one vote, one value!

I also disagree with the fact that you can be fined for not exercising your "right to vote" - that is just plain wrong!

I am led to believe that the preferential system does not apply to all elections in QLD - it's optional. In the tally of these votes though - a mix of preferential and "one vote, one value" Seriously!

I'm up for a flame on my opinion here. Change it!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
as the title says....

didnt even know there was an election on! and who am i suppose to be voting for as they have clearly done a good job of informing the public of who they are and what they do!

And If I dont want to... $55 fine. democracy my A*$e!

guess I will go stick the tail in the donkey!
Informing the public costs them money whereas fining the public makes them money.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't care who I vote for, just as long as the greens are marked down last.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Radio has been advertising for weeks about voting, then there are the bloody mug shots on every corner and up every pole of the candidates.

I generally vote the day before... seems I'm always "flying interstate on business" on votoing day on the 6am flight... Beat the lines, and running the gauntlet of touts handing you disposable paper place mats on who to vote for.

I guess I'll get stuck if they ask what business I'm in...

Anyway, as others have already pointed out. You don't need to vote, just get your name ticked off.

Also, a person on the radio said that for a very long time he hasn't voted, he gets the fine in the mail then calls to say he did vote at X location. The time taken to investigate makes it cost more to follow up than the fine so they just take his word for it and drop the fine.

I don't mind voting actually. The local guy who I have met on a few occasions seems decent enough so he got my vote.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Not always!

You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) about how many Americans don't understand that we don't elect a president via popular vote. We have something called the Electoral College. A large number of us (not myself) thought it was invented in 2000.
The name 'Dubbya' comes to mind

As for those who don't vote, I hope you don't complain that whoever is in office is making a mess of things.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Radio has been advertising for weeks about voting, then there are the bloody mug shots on every corner and up every pole of the candidates.
I dont listen to the radio much anymore...except RawFM and they dont do adverts!
The posters, i never look at them. just make my place of living look like a rubbish tip.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty
I have never voted in my life for any government election. That is local/state/federal. I've been eligible to vote for the last 28 years - I refuse to. I disagree with the preferential voting system. I believe in "one vote, one value" I don't want my preferences going to another "preferred party". I can see how the preferential system works, and in theory I suppose it is fair - doesn't mean I agree with it. Majority rules in my case - one vote, one value!

I also disagree with the fact that you can be fined for not exercising your "right to vote" - that is just plain wrong!

I am led to believe that the preferential system does not apply to all elections in QLD - it's optional. In the tally of these votes though - a mix of preferential and "one vote, one value" Seriously!

I'm up for a flame on my opinion here. Change it!

Cheers!
as much as i respect your views , you have no right to voice your concerns or opinions as you let others decide how you live , and so ni assume you have no worries and should be happy regardless .
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #25
gtfpv
GT

i would like to go to a pub with people who dont vote , im sure i could tell them that its thier shout all night . who's going to argue ?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm not on the electoral roll, they gave up on sending me letters finally.

I don't like any political party and their policies so no point voting for anyone.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-09-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I'm not on the electoral roll, they gave up on sending me letters finally.

I don't like any political party and their policies so no point voting for anyone.
How did they know to send you a letter, if you are not on the electoral roll??
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #28
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Remember Big Brother is watching, they most likely know if you have a drivers licence. I got a letter from the Electoral Commission when I moved. I changed my address with the RTA for my licence & rego, then shortly after I got a letter reminding me to change my address with them aswell. Makes you wonder why they dont automatically do it anyway if they already know.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
They probably know because I've got drivers license, health care card and medicare card so I'm probably all over the system they kept sending out enrolment forms to my house.

So I reckon they know.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #30
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I attempted to vote, but was turned away. They said I was supposed to go to the school nearest my address, but it was only 5min til close, so wouldnt make it.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post