Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
neb
hibernating

Default It's time to share what I've learnt...

Yes it is time for me to share what I have learnt over the years both from the E-series Owners Club and my own experiences.

Over the last few months I've lost all motivation of finishing my car... I've grown tired of increasing the performance of my car n/a, I was then considering going down the turbo route. But after alot of thought I've come to the conclusion that its a fairly old car, and I have put so much money into it that I will never get back from it. It just seems to be a big money pit.

I will still have the car for a fair while as I now want to save up for a house which I think is more important then a new car. I won't be doing much at all to the car anymore. I've also decided I don't want much attention with it anymore and have gone as far as removing all stickers from my car... thats right no more fordforums or eseries stickers! And I've ordered some different number plates which I'll have within the next couple of weeks, and also might be changing down to a dev3hl cam. I can't really see myself attending many events anymore. I may still turn up at the occasional drag day or meet, but the motivation and passion just isn't there anymore.

Anyway getting to the point... I'm over modifying my car, But I know there are alot of people out there wanting to modify their 6cylinders still. There are always new people asking "what extractors should i get?", "what cam should i get?" etc. Now the majority of this information I know alot will already know and is readily available on the forums, But I think it will be helpful for alot of the new guys having this together...

I present, Neb's Guide to E-Series N/A 6cylinder Performance

I'll still be hanging around the forums but I don't think I will be a very active member anymore. So I'd just like to say thankyou to the E-Series Owners Club for all the help over the years, It's because of the club that my car has gotten to the condition that it is in today which I'm really happy with. This guide is basically my parting gift.

In particular I'd like to thank:
Trouty for starting this club,
Niko what can I say we have our differences but thanks for your help with providing parts,
EFFalcon, John Z, Walkinshaw, Initial D, TIKFD6, easprint, thanatos, injected_250 and many many others for all of your advice I've learnt from the best!

If anyone notices any information that is wrong or thinks should be changed or anything that isn't on there that really should be in the guide feel free to post it in this thread or send me a pm and I'll fix it up.

Neb.

neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Best of Luck to ya mate, Altho dont be a stranger ..!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
InitialD
Low and Loud

Well ben you car will be remembered forever as an example that wagons aint the family slapper ;) and for the quickest one at that!

Good luck with the future and Ill still anoy you for a game of Yahtzee on MSN

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Thats good mate good luck hope everything works out for you!!!!!!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
John_LS1

fwoar! ben, what a shock! i know what you mean about the whole Eseries thing and money pit...LOL i am getting a little bit that way with my car but i know ill never be happy with it and there is always something that i want changed, at least youve put a stop to it. but still dont not attend meets as you go for the fun of it and is a good social thing.

BTW ill swap ya my DEV3 HL for the Dev5 cam ;)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
EFFalcon
Last warning

Good luck ben, been good to have you around
i'm sure we'll see you again ;)
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
Damo
Banned

damn Ben, I thought things were just starting to get interesting with your wagon. It's a beautiful machine mate you should be very proud. I guess there comes a time when other things start to take priority over your car, like buying a house as you have stated and that's understandable, i'm sure i'll be the same one day.

You have to come to another meet though as i havn't met you in person yet : Best of luck for the future, and as SVO has said don't make yourslef a stranger now.

Damo
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

all the best ben, dont be a stranger here...
that seems to be a pretty good read for all the 6cyl brigade...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate i dont realy know what to say
you gave me a bit of advise on a few things on the old ea.
so for the time that your not going to be avail to the new guys and gals is just i dont know not going to be the same thanx for all the help

same as svo347 said

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
neb
hibernating

John: I've already got a friends DEV3HL cam lined up because he is moving onto a new car... But if I'm happy with that cam it means the DEV5 will be for sale.

Damo: As you said theres a point where it has to stop... so much money put into it, yet when I do sell it it won't sell for much more than a stock e-series wagon

As for everyone that has said don't be a stranger I will probably still attend some meets just not as many as I used to, and I will still be on the forums but again not as much as I used to, mainly because of being on here and seeing other cars puts ideas in my head! Which is best to keep away from so I don't even think about it!
Old 04-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #11
John_LS1

sweeeeet, ill but dev 5 if your happy
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #12
Clarke AV
OzECruisers Treasurer

Cheer up mate, just a bit of growing pains. Cars aren't everything, keep the beast you've got, just look at making it fuel-efficient. Enjoy all the new parts you've put into it over the years and be the man who gets to wear it all out. Only met you once, so don't really know your motivations, but hey, who knows, maybe you'll change direction some day in the future and we can swap stories again.
Clarke AV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
But if I'm happy with that cam it means the DEV5 will be for sale.
Whats that? your going to get a dial guage out?

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
sweeeeet, ill but dev 5 if your happy
DAMN IT!!! How in heck can I ever catch you? first manual, then Dev5?
(Runs to work to see if we stock bolt on turbokits for Eseries :P lol j/k)

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Gee that almost bought a tear to my eye its like a break up!

there does come a time where we just.......move on.....

Good luck with the house, and then you will be able to drive the XR6turbo home to it one day.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #16
-jjM-
Banned

i remember seein ur car a while back a cruise, looked mint, as well love wagons, dont know ya but really like ur car, thx alot fot the guide too, will help alot of future members for there little mods too

i can understand the car being a black hole for money, at times it can become an obsession that everything u make gotta go into the car, to get it to where u like it, but then u get bored, and look for more things to do, hence y im so poor atm lol

good luck mate
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

What a pity, but everyone moves on in life. Hopefully your next endeavour is just as challenging and rewarding as the wagon was!

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #18
LTDHO
The one and only

Ben,

I hope I'm not too late but what you are going through isn't new to any of us. I have considered selling up, buying a stocker and quiting car modification altogether. Especially when something goes wrong and ya stuffed!
But after a small break, you jump right back in. There is nothing like the satisfaction off looking at your pride and joy and seeing the work you put in and the driving with pleasure the car you built. Also knowing that it is a one off and no one in the world has another.

All the best mate

Wayne
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #19
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
Over the last few months I've lost all motivation of finishing my car.........................I have put so much money into it that I will never get back from it. It just seems to be a big money pit.................. I won't be doing much at all to the car anymore.
: :evil_laug

haha sounds me every sunday!! :

If you really do stop modding it and visiting the forums and meets and such then good luck with it all.

The wagon was sweet.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 AM   #20
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

C'mon Neb, there goes the Wagon era. Well I know I ain't stopping with my Wagon as yet but I am sure I will in the near future as I too am thinking about the more important things in life than cars.
The Wagon has been in the family for over 8 years now and is here to stay, it will eventually be a project car.

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #21
red_hotxr6
Banned

Best of luck.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #22
MADED-6
MADED.6

neb ive met u many times as u no but i didnt think u'd ever stop doin the beast up that car was my motivation to do mine up.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Neb thanks for all the support mate and its been good seeing you on the forums. I almost gave up a little while ago too....I suppose its just a part of life we experience and then find that weve done it..its over..
I just have problems letting things go...I know it has some more left in it...

Good luck man
Stav

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #24
luke

Default Cheers

Cheers mate, that site's going in the bookmark list. Gives me a few ideas that I can do to my beast.:

Best of luck mate

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 AM   #25
TuMor
its not a!

Thanks for the guide, shall be a good read.

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #26
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

"My name is Hans. E Series cars have ruined my life. I'M 31 YEARS OLD!!!!"

-------

G'day Ben, well I feel like Hans sometimes. Sorry to see your car has caused financial hardship. You can be very proud of what you've achieved and learned, and relative to the cost of a house these days, even blowing 30 grand is loose change - though it's not sustainable. You're wise to draw the line somewhere. It is too late for me, but SAVE YOURSELF!!

I too hope you stick around at least now and then, it's very possible to enjoy the social aspect of the Club without feeling obliged to compete on the track. I've gotten away with (unfortunately) having my car off the road for Lord knows how long, which speaks for itself.

That guide looks tops, I'd love to see a link to it on deleted link.

Take care,
Jack
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #27
Walkinshaw
Two > One

If you leave I will lock you in my bathroom. How you like them apples?

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #28
neb
hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
If you leave I will lock you in my bathroom. How you like them apples?
haha you don't have to lock me in your bathroom... I'm good enough at doing that myself!

i will still be hanging around on the forums and going to a few meets, i'm planning on going to the fordforums drag day (even though the categories are a bit stuffed... i guess i'll be trying to aim for a 15.0001), drag racing its just good fun i can't help myself.

mod wise... i'm just considering putting the dev3hl cam in because i think my car may go better with that.. since it has a stock head and the rev limiter kicks in at 5200, i think my car might be quicker with that and more usable power. apart from that i just want to leave the car alone now.

trouty that hans thing cracked me up. that is the thing i just have to stop now. otherwise i'll end up getting into my later 20s and still living at home with my parents with nothing to show for it apart from a modified car which has had lots of money put into it but not actually worth much money.

but i can't say it hasn't been alot of fun, i don't regret doing it, its just time to move on!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #29
EASPRINT
FPV GT-P 335!

Good luck saving for a house neb........I wish i could think like you..lol. I often think of selling the EA...but then i go to calder or something and i get that rush again!.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #30
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

You make very wise decisions neb, unfortunately at the moment I am in the same boat as EASPRINT, I get this rush to go further with the power everytime I put the foot down.
I too hope to stop soon and move one but it's too much fun.

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post