Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Gone to the darkside.....

Well my severe dislike for the Holden brand is being somewhat swayed... recently my folks brought a (cough) VX SS and i will have to say its not a bad car to drive!!! Beautiful throttle response, gorgeous exhaust note, hmmm v8.... sorry i do get swayed easily.... And it just looks fabulous!

I am somewhat hesitant about bagging Holden for their cars now, just their reliability, but you get that with all cars i guess! Its interesting observing the new models that are getting released and to say not that long ago Ford was behind in their development compared to Holden. It's going to be interesting to see Ford's next response to the 6lt Holden V8 soon to be released...

Old 24-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yes well they are a good looking vehicle, and they do go well, just keep and eye on the dipstick, lol.
Old 24-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The VX is a good car, and IMO was the last good looking model that Holden have produced. My folks have a VX and it's been a very good and reliable car. Is it a series 1 or 2, as the series two had a suspension upgrade?
Old 24-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The VX is a good car, and IMO was the last good looking model that Holden have produced. My folks have a VX and it's been a very good and reliable car. Is it a series 1 or 2, as the series two had a suspension upgrade?
Its is a series 2... but i hardly call it reliable for what has happened/happening to it at the moment...... :(
Old 24-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Its is a series 2... but i hardly call it reliable for what has happened/happening to it at the moment...... :(
Whats wrong with it?
Old 24-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Good exhaust note and VX SS aren't usually words that go together. Unless they have the exhaust done I reckon they sound crap. Odd firing order.
Old 24-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

VX imo with the VT were the nicest looking of the latest generation of commodores, Gen III have had huge issues with oil useage and piston slap so watch out for both of those, otherwise they go hard (if u get a good one) but really dont sound how a V8 should even with an exhaust...(My oppinion) once again.

is it the 4 speeder or the chunky clunky 6 speed man?

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 24-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
herbs

Yeah, they do look better than the latest commos, that's not saying a lot tho............
Old 24-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
XRated
Shoot.

Hmmmm I am scared I could be swayed into a VX SS 6-speed.... But no, I mustn't ever let that happen LOL!! Nice cars.

20V Turbo

Old 24-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The VX series was the nicest looking of the holdens - but really, the stuff since then (VY) has been a joke.

If I ever had to buy a holden (note: had) it would probably be the VX series. ( But I'd buy a Magna VR-X over any holden anyway :p )

Oh, and the 6lt holden V8 isn't really anything to special IMO. holden have always had the obsession to pump out 'bigger numbers' than Ford, wether it's capacity, kw or whatever. Really, I don't see anything extra special in this engine, but time will tell

Without prejudice, I really hope the car is flawless for you and that you enjoy it

Oh, and Merry Christmas all!!! :
Old 24-12-2005, 08:37 PM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

AARRRHHH Why is it so hard to find a real Ford purest who will stand on top the Blue Oval with me ........... even when the edges some times rust + bend ?????????????????

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 24-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #12
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Nice! The VX SS is my favourite Holden ever. I would love a black 6 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Old 24-12-2005, 08:52 PM   #13
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Gen III have had huge issues with oil useage and piston slap
There's no denying that the Gen3 had oil consumption and piston slap issues, but seriously, it is something which has been severely blown out of proportion. The amount of units affected by this was something under 10%, meaning for every car with issues there are hundreds out there which are perfectly fine.
When something like this happens people automatically place all their focus on the 'bad' and forget about the good, which is a shame as a small percentage of bad units have ruined the reputation for the many good ones, or so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
The VX series was the nicest looking of the holdens - but really, the stuff since then (VY) has been a joke.
That is a matter of opinion. Personally I would take a VY SS over a VX SS any day of the week. It is your opinion however and I will respect it.
Old 24-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #14
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holdens claim in Wheels mag 2002 (or 2003) was 2% of cars affected by oil consumption. At the time, 70,000 cars had been sold, so it worked out to be around 1500 cars. We all know this is bull****, I see/hear VXs and VYs with piston slap on a daily basis. Thankfully VYII and VZ seem to be immune to it.

But yea, I would say the VX SS is definately one of the better looking Holdens out there, Commodore hands down. Looks especially good in white... fake highway patrol car :
Old 24-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #15
HOON69
Banned

honestly i went out car shopping and i almost went for a SII VX WAGON they do go and sound nice this was a v6 but geez they go alright,but dont worry i went and put my dibs on a ford a few years older :P
Old 24-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #16
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
AARRRHHH Why is it so hard to find a real Ford purest who will stand on top the Blue Oval with me ........... even when the edges some times rust + bend ?????????????????
I'll be there with ya on that rusty badge Whoosha. Only blue blood in these viens :sm_headba

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 24-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #17
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Holdens claim in Wheels mag 2002 (or 2003) was 2% of cars affected by oil consumption. At the time, 70,000 cars had been sold, so it worked out to be around 1500 cars. We all know this is bull****, I see/hear VXs and VYs with piston slap on a daily basis. Thankfully VYII and VZ seem to be immune to it.
Yeah well, I'm not going to sit here and make excuses for Holden, but the majority would/should have been rebuilt/replaced under warranty and the problem seems to have been cured, so I think it's about time people put it all in the past and moved on with life. (not directed at you personally, people in general)
Old 24-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
There's no denying that the Gen3 had oil consumption and piston slap issues, but seriously, it is something which has been severely blown out of proportion. The amount of units affected by this was something under 10%, meaning for every car with issues there are hundreds out there which are perfectly fine.
When something like this happens people automatically place all their focus on the 'bad' and forget about the good, which is a shame as a small percentage of bad units have ruined the reputation for the many good ones, or so to speak.

That is a matter of opinion. Personally I would take a VY SS over a VX SS any day of the week. It is your opinion however and I will respect it.
And it's allway's the Holden purist's that are in denial and believe that it was only 10% off vehicle's affected, there was more than that my friend, the Holden guy's were saying it was only 2-3% off vehicle's and now 10%, but really is that fiqure the amount off vehicle's dealer's had to fix every week, there was more than 10% off GenIII's affected alone in my town, so don't go blowing your 10% crap here mate.
Old 24-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #19
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
And it's allway's the Holden purist's that are in denial and believe that it was only 10% off vehicle's affected, there was more than that my friend, the Holden guy's were saying it was only 2-3% off vehicle's and now 10%, but really is that fiqure the amount off vehicle's dealer's had to fix every week, there was more than 10% off GenIII's affected alone in my town, so don't go blowing your 10% crap here mate.
Refer to post #17
Old 24-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

And the VX SS was the most affected model in the GenIII line up for piston slap/oil consumption.
Old 24-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #21
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Refer to post #17
I don't believe the problem has actually been cured with the GenIII's issue's, I for one would not buy a 2nd hand GenIII.
Old 24-12-2005, 09:20 PM   #22
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so I think it's about time people put it all in the past and moved on with life. (not directed at you personally, people in general)
well then,we'll find something different to critisize them about then,like maybe the power steering pumps : (just playin with ya)

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
Old 24-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #23
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If people want to start a Holden Vs Ford war then I'll hand out a few holidays. Just give it up, yes, Gen3 had oil consumption issues.. so did a few of the Boss motors.. who cares?
I have driven a VX SS fairly extensively and they are a great car .. just not as great as a BA Xr8 IMO.
Old 24-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #24
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Both brands have there goods and bads. The direct rival of the VX SS series II is the AUII XR8 220kw.

Comparing stock vs stock the XR8 has a more raw and traditional V8 feel. The VX SS would beat it at any speed by car lengths from 90km/h onwards. Point them on a set of twisties and the XR8 hits back, you have to work the SS to keep up and use up more tyres.

Styling, well its to the eye of the beholder. Both execute their shapes very well and in their own way.
Old 24-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #25
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
I'll be there with ya on that rusty badge Whoosha. Only blue blood in these viens :sm_headba
I'm there as well,may lightning strike me down if my veins run any other colour but blue!
Old 24-12-2005, 10:24 PM   #26
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Well my severe dislike for the Holden brand is being somewhat swayed... recently my folks brought a (cough) VX SS and i will have to say its not a bad car to drive!!! Beautiful throttle response, gorgeous exhaust note, hmmm v8.... sorry i do get swayed easily.... And it just looks fabulous!

I am somewhat hesitant about bagging Holden for their cars now, just their reliability, but you get that with all cars i guess! Its interesting observing the new models that are getting released and to say not that long ago Ford was behind in their development compared to Holden. It's going to be interesting to see Ford's next response to the 6lt Holden V8 soon to be released...
Well, at least YOU didn't buy one. I thought from the thread title you sold your Fords for the Commy. We can all breath a collective sigh of relief now
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 24-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #27
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
I'm with you buddy, never worry...

Old 24-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #28
awsome4.0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters24
I'm with you buddy, never worry...
Like a wise man once said I WOULD RATHER PUSH MY FORD THAN DRIVE A HOLDEN :Up_to_som
Old 25-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #29
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Gee I"m so happy now I thought I was going to be all alone, not now but "party time"
As dear old dad used to say you can look, touch, and even play with them just dont bring em home with you.......( or tell ya mother, not sure if that bit applys here but..)

LOL Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 25-12-2005, 02:04 AM   #30
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i own a black VX SS, but an auto as some have seen on the dyno day. Mines a series 1 (hence camber issues and inner tyre wear which was correctly pointed out earlier) but it does hammer quite well. Gen 3's respond well to a bit of breathing and love an ls1 edit. As for oil consumption issues, mine has done 108km's and in the last 10 thou kms i have used 300ml of oil, if that. So yeah it looks like i got an ok engine . But dont be fooled into thinking they cured the gen 3 piston slap thing with the VY's - there has been many vy's with the oil consumptions issues etc. And whoever said a gen 3 doesnt sound good with an exhaust upgrade is really one eyed. Most v8's with an exhaust upgrade sound pretty good really, lets not get all kindergarton like on each other.
Closed Thread