Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Default Few questions - proformance orientated :P

My mate has an EL, and we've been talking about how I'm building a complete engine etc and he's actually gotten into the "My car can go faster than yours" type thing. Which is nice, because now I have someone to talk to :P

Anyway, he doesn't want to spend majopr cash, his diff seems to be on the way out, so when replacing it what will it cost and what ratio should he go for best accel?

He has an EL Fairmont Auto, I6.

Also, proformance wise I think he wanted to head for a new cam, or a regrind on the stock one...

In there much use to regrind the stock? Or should he buy a total new one? and how much will both of these options cost?

Also, when changing the cam, should the valve springs be changed ? (Even if the cam doesn't need them changed?).

Are there many gains to be had with having a nice cam in the stock head? Or very little? Should he get his head port and polished and port matched? Or not worry?

He only wants to be quicker than a commodore, which I'm sure he already is stock, but he has a few non-stocker friends he'd like to be some compatition against.

Cheers. Both from me and my mate :P

volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

to get the most from a new cam add extractors and get the head worked
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom20
Anyway, he doesn't want to spend majopr cash, his diff seems to be on the way out, so when replacing it what will it cost and what ratio should he go for best accel?

you want Take off speed ... . go 4.11 s
to rebuild your diff with new bearings is around the $450 /500 Mark even with single spinna or l.s.d.

then get your self a cam to suit .

Revs at 100km (auto) will be between 2,300 to 2,600
Old 25-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Search button is your friend, these topics have all been covered a million times, in quite a lot of detail as well.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
heckaz performance

If it has 3.45's I wouldn't bother going much lower. 4.11's give 2400rpm@100kmh. A big stall will get a better 60 foot time for the bucks. About $600 bucks either way. Diffs can be more.
heckaz performance is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckaz performance
If it has 3.45's I wouldn't bother going much lower. 4.11's give 2400rpm@100kmh. A big stall will get a better 60 foot time for the bucks. About $600 bucks either way. Diffs can be more.
I keep reading info on revs as being a standard thing. Does everyone assume a set wheel size (ie: std)?

Im just asking because it never seems to be mentioned, and wonder if Ive missed some net norm.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 02:07 AM   #7
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
I keep reading info on revs as being a standard thing. Does everyone assume a set wheel size (ie: std)?

Im just asking because it never seems to be mentioned, and wonder if Ive missed some net norm.
Wheel/tyre rolling diameters are pretty much the same for E-Series Falcons if you want to stay legal. a 235/45R17 is 0.65% smaller than a 205/65R15, so theres very little difference.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 02:51 AM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Wheel/tyre rolling diameters are pretty much the same for E-Series Falcons if you want to stay legal. a 235/45R17 is 0.65% smaller than a 205/65R15, so theres very little difference.
Yeah I understand that the profile differences make the gearing change minimal in that sense. But no-one asks ifs hes running the 15's with 60 series tyres, or worse still, 195/55/15 he got given from a ricer mate. I know a few people who've put ricer wheels on Falcons because they were cheap because they all want 17 - 19's, but yeah 195/55's *shudders*.

Some people run 18's and fit tyres according to whats cheapest at the time. It seemed odd to assume a tyre size is all when referring to gearing and revs at 100.

It helps to know the assumption is keeping it legal though. Cheers.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 03:58 AM   #9
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

4.11's actually gives 2600rpm at 100kays
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 05:56 AM   #10
BABOSS

In there much use to regrind the stock? Or should he buy a total new one? and how much will both of these options cost?

The benifit of a regrind is it's much cheaper than a new cam. Regrind around 130 bucks from Wade or 300-400 bucks for a new one

Also, when changing the cam, should the valve springs be changed ? (Even if the cam doesn't need them changed?).
It depends on your cam, if you get a big one, yes you will need stronger springs, you should get new lifters when doing a cam change too.

Are there many gains to be had with having a nice cam in the stock head? Or very little? Should he get his head port and polished and port matched? Or not worry?

Of course there are many gains to be had at first, not as many as there could be but if you can afford it get the head port/polish, if you can't then do it later down the track. It's also a good idea to get an Engine managment system or chip such as Chiptorque.

He only wants to be quicker than a commodore, which I'm sure he already is stock, but he has a few non-stocker friends he'd like to be some compatition against.

What are we talking a VR,VS,VX or VZ v6's? All he realy needs in order to smoke em is an exhaust, decent set of extractors and a cam with the option of a chip and maybe a better diff, they will be left behind in a puff of smoke.
BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherEF

The benifit of a regrind is it's much cheaper than a new cam. Regrind around 130 bucks from Wade or 300-400 bucks for a new one

It depends on your cam, if you get a big one, yes you will need stronger springs, you should get new lifters when doing a cam change too.

Of course there are many gains to be had at first, not as many as there could be but if you can afford it get the head port/polish, if you can't then do it later down the track. It's also a good idea to get an Engine managment system or chip such as Chiptorque.

What are we talking a VR,VS,VX or VZ v6's? All he realy needs in order to smoke em is an exhaust, decent set of extractors and a cam with the option of a chip and maybe a better diff, they will be left behind in a puff of smoke.
Ah, all my questions answered. Thank you so much

My mate thinks he might go with the wade camshaft regrinds. He's tossing up between two sorts.

The 1521a or the 1604, also, are these regrinds, or complete new cams?

the 1521a requires new springs, but the 1604 doesn't. Is the 1521a worth the extra trouble? Or will the 1604 have enough grunt to do the job?

He is after the quickest cam, so if the 1521a is worth it, I think he'll take the whole head of and get it port/polished at the same time.

And for a regrind does he have to send it away to wade? or can it be done locally? We're not in the city, so it's a bit hard :( And he doesn't want his car off the road for too long :(
volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #12
XRated
Shoot.

You'll need a chip to have the 1512a run properly, and heavy duty springs.

To beat a Commo, he won't need much more than:
a) shorter diff gears, or
b) manual conversion.

I'm punting that if he put in a medium-big cam, he'll lose take off speed and by then the Commo would be out in front. That is unless he changes to 3.9s or 4.11s at the same time.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
heckaz performance

Ah 4.11s are 2400 rpm with an auto. Stock with 3.08 is 1800 4.11's is 2400 I have the speedo recallibrated properly. 4.11 divided by 3.08 = 1.33 1.33 x 1800rpm = 2401.94Rpm GOT IT SMART ИИИИ
heckaz performance is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

what about a stall convertor?
5speedeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post