Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-11-2007, 02:40 AM   #1
sikzk

Default xr6 head on normal engine

hey guy i was just wondering if i put a xr6 head on a normal engine will i have to do any mods or any other xr6 gear on the car as my mate says i dont but i wanted some advise from you guys
cheers phil

sikzk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

yeah it should bolt on no worries at all.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I am going to get shot down on this one ..again. Dont waste your money.I have seen flow figures and they are the same as standard head.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
stiddy
Banned

Your right stav. There was a few minor differences between an XR6 and stocko motors.

slightly different profile cam, more agreesive tune and fuel regulator?
thats about it from memory.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Yes well ..... In this I have to agree as well.

A Stock E-series head is better then a AU XR head.

Its only when you start "working" the head that the AU head is better.
Old 22-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dunno ,i'm going to disagree .the tickford head cam and 3.5 bar reg seem to work fine .even with the standard au ecu i manged quite a few 14.8 runs @ 93 +.
Old 22-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I think Tripower's AU before he sold it shows what an AU stock head, stock cam engine is capable of.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
PaulMac

Fellas,
My wife has her eye on an AU series 1, xr6, VCT, manual but it has very high klms on it. My question is similar to sikzk's, can I replace it with an AU3 block and keep the Tickford head and fuel gear from the series 1? Is there any benefit in doing this? What would be our best option if the above are a waste of time?
I'm unfamiliar with the AU series and just trying check our options by sneaking over from Ozecruisers for a read, couldn't resist butting in on this question though.
Cheers
Paul
PaulMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

there shouldnt be any problem with doing that paul, though i would give the fuel gear a freshen up, new fuel filter, injecter clean maybe run a fuel system cleaner through. just to ensure the fuel system works fine so you are able to get as much power as possible from your motor.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMac
Fellas,
My wife has her eye on an AU series 1, xr6, .......VCT, .......manual but it has very high klms on it. My question is similar to sikzk's, can I replace it with an AU3 block and keep the Tickford head and fuel gear from the series 1?
Cheers
Paul

VCT changes everything .

I am told that NO you cannot interchange a VCT engine with a normal engine .
( I am problem wrong about this but check just in case )
Best to ask CASPER about this.... OR at least do a search in his build up thread .
Old 23-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
sly
Sly like a G6

AFAIK if you replace a non-VCT engine with a VCT one you need to do a complete replacement, with all the external accessories to make sure you get all the sensors, wiring and of course the VCT oil lines etc, and of course the PCM to make it all work. If sourcing an engine from a wrecker, you ask for a conversion. But of course this doesn't answer PaulMac's question.

The VCT engine differs from the stock 6 in the head and external accessories. AU blocks are interchangeable so what PaulMac is asking should be completely feasible. As to whether it should be done, that's another question. How many k's are on it and are there any signs that work needs doing? I'd suggest getting a compression test at least before buying. My AU at over 320,000km still has excellent compression and uses no more oil (5W/30) between changes than many new cars.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
PaulMac

Thanks fellas, good advice au2sw and trick_XD, Sly thanks for the confirmation re the VCT setup and blocks. It has 380,000 on it and doesn't look like it's finished running in yet. Apparently it runs smooth and strong so probably nothing needs to be done ATM. I wasn't planning to just rip the engine out, should she get it, but like considering the future. If I trip over a bargain AU3 engine, I'd store it [properly] as a spare for the EL engine we've got anyhow, so this knowledge gives us more options. A compression test, fuel system check etc would be done ASAP. I'll give her the good news.
Thanks again for your advice,
Paul
PaulMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post