Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Pitty FPV wont sell the RS...

HSV to develop Cruze small car

http://www.theage.com.au/drive/motor...0922-g00t.html

Quote:
HSV to develop Cruze small car
STEVE COLQUHOUN
September 22, 2009 - 6:00PM

A performance version of Holden's soon-to-be-Australian-made Cruze small car is being considered by performance partner HSV.

Holden Special Vehicles will next year market an LPG-based dual fuel option for models in its high-performance range that owners haven’t asked for, and its dealers don’t want.

HSV admits that fuel economy does not rate in its customers’ top 10 concerns and managing director Phil Harding says HSV dealers have openly opposed the plan but that he was committed to doing it anyway.

“I’ve done a survey with my dealers and they’ve told me they don’t want it and I said ‘I don’t believe you’,” he says.

“So I’m doing this program without a solid customer demand for it. But I know that we started this program when petrol was $1.60 and heading north, and does anyone want to speculate that that won’t come back?

“My philosophy is that I’ve got to have that (LPG) in the cupboard. If we start off and people don’t option it, that’s fine, but there will come a point where they will.”

With the motoring world focusing on cleaner, greener cars and European performance rivals leading the charge to cut consumptions and emissions, Mr Harding admits HSV has no choice but to pursue an alternative fuels policy for its V8-based range of performance cars.

“We’re convinced it will become an issue and we’re trying to pre-empt that,” he says. “When fuel was $1.60 and companies were thinking that maybe they shouldn’t have V8s on their company car fleet, we felt we had to respond to that with some action.

“That’s the way this program started and I’ve come to love this program so much that I’ll do it anyway.”

HSV rejected diesel power in favour of an innovative LPG system, called liquid petroleum injection (LPI), which maximises the fuel’s power and economy benefits.

“We genuinely did look seriously at diesel,” he says. “We had an engineering prototype with a diesel engine in it, then it goes through a business case. Diesel fell over for investment and return, the LPI package didn’t.”

HSV still has E85 – an ethanol-rich blend of petrol – on its radar as a secondary alternative fuel strategy.

“That will come when people get more excited about that in terms of availability.”

For now though, HSV is focusing its energy on the LPI system.

“We have vehicles undergoing cold weather testing, we’ve got engines on test beds,” Mr Harding says.

The system will be offered as a cost option across all models in the HSV range except for its station wagon, the R8 Tourer. The LPG tank will be installed in the boot in sedans and in the tray for utes, and fully trimmed to eliminate its visibility.

“Where before you might get three golf bags into the boot of one of our cars, with the tank in there you’ll probably still fit two,” Mr Harding says.

“Because it’s dual fuel, when you floor the throttle it goes back to petrol. Those who have driven it can’t tell which mode it’s in, because it’s seamless.

“It will become accepted and one of the things I want to do is get rid of the taxi-type stigma with the cars.

“Why wouldn’t you take the car, because you’ll spend less on the fuel.”
Old 22-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Weird, the title states they will building a HSV Cruze, but the text is all about LPG?????

I would like to see the focus RS here, it is a strong contender in the strong hot hatch market. It would great up against the Golf R32, WRX STI etc.

I would prefer FPV leave it alone, it is great the way it is. FPV would not bring it here without adding their touches, such as colour mismatching and plastics that fall off.
Old 23-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Weird, the title states they will building a HSV Cruze, but the text is all about LPG?????

I would like to see the focus RS here, it is a strong contender in the strong hot hatch market. It would great up against the Golf R32, WRX STI etc.

I would prefer FPV leave it alone, it is great the way it is. FPV would not bring it here without adding their touches, such as colour mismatching and plastics that fall off.

Seems other sites are doing the same thing.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257639002191DB

Go-Auto seems to have a whole paragraph on the the HSV cruise.