Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
troystanton78
IR84RD

Default 220 xr8 annoying engine noise/issue

So, i have this noise, it sounds exactly the same as a slipping belt(but it isn't), it only happens whilst accelerating, usually hard, but not all the time, it sounds as if its coming from the right side of engine as you are looking at it, deep though, not a pulley or belt, as i said its not all the time, when it happens it stops when i back off, but i can slip it into neutral and keep it going at around 1500+ rpm, there is no miss or power drop or anything else that i have noticed when it occurs, although i have backed off straight away as i don't know what it is, i have had two guys give 2 totally different suggestions, 1. vacuum noise 2.timing chain bit sceptical on these, what do you guys reakon
cheers

Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Ausfire
BA MkII XR6, 84XE Spak

Is it a rattle sound (Metal), or sound a bit like a knocking from motor.

I just had a similar thing with my XR6, same engine range, under power so I took it to Ford in Cardiff and they reckon it was the heat shield from cat converter, so they removed it.?? Made it a bit quieter, still sort of there so will be watching this thread closely.

Aus

2005 XR6
1984 XE S Pak
Ausfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Cam synchroniser I would say. Do a search- there is plenty of info on here. Very common, not an expensive fix either.

-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
troystanton78
IR84RD

Thumbs up

Thanks crakrz, done a search, amazing how someone has always had the same issue already, one ordered from rockauto, 67 bucks delivered
Old 06-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Yeah, no probs. Just did mine a few weeks ago. Some good info on here that really saves some stuffin around.

The other good thing about it is that you can dismantle the old one, clean it up, re-grease the shaft, re-assemble it and you have another one ready to go on the shelf.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Cam sybchroniser for sure. I've done mine twice in 3 months, but went from original to chinese knock off (rockauto one) and it was quiet until 2 weeks ago, so put original back in and was worse. So put copy one back in and noise gone again!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post