Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Inlet Manifold Work

Hey all, hoping some of the more mechanically minded of you might be able to advise me on this one. In pursuit of smoothing my idle the next step is to replace the inlet manifold gasket and put in reconditioned injectors from ford. Parts will be ~$220 for the injectors and gasket, is there anything else needed? Are the bolts reusable or are they those self-torquing one use type? My main question is, is this a job I can take on myself with the aid of my haynes manual, or is it best left to a professional mechanic? Will I really need a torque wrench etc, and is there anything in particular to watch out for or can really stuff up? Being a student if I can save money on labour it'll allow me to get mods rolling a lot faster. I reckon if I get stuck I'll could just put it on a truck to the mechanics around the corner and he can take over :

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its not too hard, with the manual you should be ok...i guess it depends on if you trust yourself. im pretty sure the bolts are reusable, maybe someone else can clarify if they are, as long as you do them up fairly tight you shouldnt need a torque wrench, if you really dont trust them then get some loctite and put that on, then they shouldnt come undone
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
99FalconS
99FalconS

I took the inlet manifold off one of my cars twice and used the same bolts i dont think they are under the same stress as head bolt which normally would be replaced but you coulld put thread lock on them. I think you will be ok if you follow the book.
99FalconS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Changing the injectors and inlet mainfold gasket, ain't gonna change a rough idle.
I'd would say, clean your throttle body(someone did a tech not long back), and reset the ecu of your car before you pull it apart.

If it's till rough, look at the air cleaner, and it still rough, possibly a sensor has died.

But what ype of rough are you talking about? Heavy, shakes the car, or just a slight rough idle

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
99FalconS
99FalconS

If the gasket is leaking that would cause a bad idle but would case alot of other problems. When i put my manifold back there was a slight leak on the gasket which did cause my car all but stall on idle.
99FalconS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If you can ... send your intake plenum to a place that does extrude honing ... if you can ... it's a nice little upgrade on the intake side of things.

A busted intake manifold gasket can cause rough idle and bad fuel economy.

I have heard that some of the rear bolts on the intake plenum can be a PITA to access ... and might be a tad tight to get off initially.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Just be carefull if re-using old head bolts , i used re-used a set in a cleveland v8 years ago and 1 of the bolts broke / the thread snapped off in the block when i re-torqued the bolts ! (luckily i got it out pretty easily ! - it could of been alot worse ! ).

Most mechanics will say replace them / as they are slightly stretched and weaker when they have been used.

Imo too , I'de also use a torque wrench ! , especially on head bolts ! . gl .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the injectors are clogged it'd cause a rough idle and loss of power wouldn't it? Spraying wheelcleaner around the intake gasket didn't seem to change the idle, but looking at it from underneath there's leakage from under it. I've already reset the ECU, put injector cleaner through it (does this work?)changed the leads, new plugs and fuel filter, and the air filter was done not long ago. Also cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve. Crimping the fuel return line at idle did seem to smooth it a bit, but not heaps.
The car drives beatifully, it's just sometimes (and sometimes it's fine) when I pull up at the lights etc it hunts and is a bit rough for my liking. It's not shaking the whole car, more of a bit of a vibration. I'm being a bit pedantic, but if I can change the gasket myself for only 40 bucks for the part I might as well. I'll run some more injector cleaner through before I go and replace them though, they're a bit more expensive and shouldn't really need replacing at 150k kms.
Old 18-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have u checked your oxygen sensor? this can a very rough idle and bad fuel economy.. and about the torque wrench.. if u haven't never torqued a bolt up to say, 40 lbft's before, and u dont know what that sorta torque setting feels like, definately use a torque wrench

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to pick up an oxygen sensor tomorrow from the wreckers and see if that helps. Fuel economy has been pretty woeful too actually, less then 400 kays per tank. Worse than my old EA.
Old 18-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
DATWHY
Starter Motor

no from my experience, on car injector flushes dont work.
only way to clean them properly is to remove them and put them in an ultrasonic bath
DATWHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DATWHY
no from my experience, on car injector flushes dont work.
only way to clean them properly is to remove them and put them in an ultrasonic bath
That's about the best way ... even this way isn't that successful at times ... and can caused damage to some injectors (some injectors can't be cleaned and need replacing).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #13
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont get an o2 from the wreckors.. it might be just as bad as yours, go to coventrys and get one.. i know they are a little on the dear side, but its worth it.. and while your there pick yourself up an o2 sensor socket

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #14
natandy
Starter Motor

dose anyone know how to undo the rear manifold bolts and the best tool to use ?
natandy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #15
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since this thread's been resurrected I might as well say I replaced the oxygen sensor with a new one, and the only difference it has made is my wallet is 100 bucks lighter. I'm going to get myself a torque wrench and get onto the manifold gasket in the next week or so. I'm feeling a bit more mechanical since I replaced my rocker cover on the weekend and it hasn't leaked or anything. Anyone know the torque settings for the inlet manifold? I've got the workshop manual but it just says 'tighten to specifications'.
Old 31-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
WhiteKnight
Donating Member
Donating Member1

natandy,
When I did my inlet manifold gasket the best tool at the time that I found to work on the rear bolts was a ratchet ring spanner. (10mm Kincrome "reverse gear") - from Bunnings, but I would assume that most ratchet ring spanners would work as long as the head is not too large.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #17
HLC
Audi S3

have you changed plugs and leads?
Old 31-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #18
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wouldn't bother with the new intake gasket ,just check and make sure all the bolts holding your bbm on are done up firm.
it may even be the isc valve.i would pull this off and give it a good clean out first.
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post