Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Default Beating temptations

Hey guys,

There is a Brand New XR6 with a 6sp manual at work that is just screaming BUY ME! But I cannot afford it. It's so so enticing to throw every cent I have at it and then some. It is such a beautiful car.

Share your experiences with a car that you just felt you HAD to have but know you couldn't afford/missus would shoot you if you bought.

Kable72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Beating temptations

Lol my missus was against me buying the xr6t at first saying we can't afford it... Just means you gotta work harder for the things you want.
Ps she came around and loves it now too, so I say go for it. You only live once
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

When I say I can't afford it, I REALLY can't afford it. I'm only a trainee so I don't make alot of money.
Old 31-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy XR6 Turbo
Lol my missus was against me buying the xr6t at first saying we can't afford it... Just means you gotta work harder for the things you want.
Ps she came around and loves it now too, so I say go for it. You only live once
Same happened to me, i made some sacrifices and i can afford what i wanted.
Old 31-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
When I say I can't afford it, I REALLY can't afford it. I'm only a trainee so I don't make alot of money.
Well I guess u have to be responsible and wait till you can afford it. Like I said you need to work hard for the things you want but there needs to be a degree of comfort too. Ive wanted a xr6t for years and wasnt in the best position to buy one buy I COULD make it work. If you can't make it work just hold out
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well in your case you just need to seperate your "wants"from your "needs"!

I do this all the time even though I am probably in a better possition than you in terms of income. I do allow myself a few wants but not usually majorly expensive ones.
In this case you have to ask yourself, do I already own a reliable car? If the answer is yes then chill out, forget about this particular car at this particular time, and bide your time until you are in a position to afford it and can justify it.

The good news is that these things ( cars) only get better and better. By the time you are in a position to buy a new one, it will most likely be a heap better than the one you are drooling over at the moment anyhow.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Save and wait. Then buy a XR6T. You'll regret buying a regular XR6 once you go for a drive in a XR6T.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford
Save and wait. Then buy a XR6T. You'll regret buying a regular XR6 once you go for a drive in a XR6T.
Yeah I did have a think of that. If I was to go down the 6T path, I would go a late BF model as they are often cheaper and still go like lightning. Plus I like the aesthetics of the BF better than I do the FG regardless of the better technology in the latter.

Also, considering I'm off my P's in about 8 months or so it should give me enough time to save up some money/increase my income to make it easier to own said vehicle. How difficult are these to get in 6 speed manuals?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How difficult are these to get in 6 speed manuals?
Not too difficult! I've owned two BF2s, both manuals.
You can buy mine when off your Ps if you like! LOL
Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

And it's in Octane. I love that color!

Might have to think about it if you offer me the right price ;)
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Hey guys,

There is a Brand New XR6 with a 6sp manual at work that is just screaming BUY ME! But I cannot afford it. It's so so enticing to throw every cent I have at it and then some. It is such a beautiful car.

Share your experiences with a car that you just felt you HAD to have but know you couldn't afford/missus would shoot you if you bought.
I test drove a FPV GS earlier this year and fell in love, I could have bought it, but it meant getting into more debt that I would have been comfortable with. In the end I thought about how much I wanted my XR6T before I got it, over time I realised it would be the same with the GS, I'd eventually want a GT-P and so on. Sometimes you just have to live within your means and be happy with what you have. I tend to value things more if I've worked hard and sacrificed to get them, rather than getting it immediately and resenting the scrimping and saving that goes with holding onto it.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And it's in Octane. I love that color!

Might have to think about it if you offer me the right price ;)
Well its got all the fruit ( sunroof, sports leather, premo sound system, FPV steering wheel, etc) and only 70,000klm so you might need to offer me the right price to consider selling it!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thinks of 5 litre supercharged GS's starting second hand in the low 40's and second hand supercharged GT's in the mid 50's to high 50's..

There's my cars i would love to buy but commonsense has me "putting" around in my BF mk11 XRT.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Lol, Hulk, I don't think an XRT is classed as 'Putting' around when they can reach some pretty amazing numbers!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
SeduceXR
Seduce FG XR8

On a light note, this short video might be helpful http://con.st/252491
SeduceXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lol, Hulk, I don't think an XRT is classed as 'Putting' around when they can reach some pretty amazing numbers!
Was spectating at wsid raceway on the last "WICKED WEDNESDAY" and watched an FPV GT 5.0 litre supercharged reel off flat 11's on the quater mile. -"i drooled a lil bit" my 12.68PB doesnt seem so fast lol.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I drove a GS Ute this week (pros of working at a dealer and being "in" with the salesmen/women" and OH MY GOD. If I had 50k...

I pinned it and I think my downstairs weeped a little..
Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
No.6

In 2003 i started work as a part time employee in a large company. I wanted an xr6t but could only afford an xr6 by 2005. I slugged around in that for 5 years but continued to aim for getting an xr6t. I worked hard, so hard in fact i was promoted to a management position - youngest to be promoted to such a position. In 2010, i finally achieved the goal that i set my eyes on in 2003, i bought myself an FG xr6t, with all the options i wanted. My next goal is an F6...but i am so content with what i have that i dont have the desire nor as much passion to get it or a v8 model as i did for the xr6t.

The moral of the story is, set yourself a goal and work towards it. It may take 1 year, it may take 10. But damn does it feel good when you finally reach it haha

My new goal is to actually beable to drive the bloody thing. A recent operation to remove a brain tumor is keeping me off the road for another 4 months and its gut wrenching not being able to drive my baby! But good things come to those who wait...

Last edited by No.6; 01-06-2012 at 04:19 PM.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

nice one SeduceXR, i was going to post that.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
markm7843

I've always been a Ford man and when I was 18 (1998) I purchased my parents 89 EA - S pack in Indigo blue, 5sp manual. Never been on a dirt road, never spent a night outside, no dings or carpark abuse, just perfect.... I LOVED that car until one morning I was driving to work and spotted a 1995 EF series 2 XR6 in red 5sp manual with every option except sunroof.
It was like that scene from Waynes World "it will be mine... oh yes... It will be mine"
Walked into the dealer, test drove, signed finance paper work, drove it home. Ma and Pa did not share my enthusiasm. I was only 20 and still paying off the EA, I sold it privately and paid it out, but I was so blinded by my lust for this car, I didnt even look at the interest rate I was being charged. Just another silly thing I did in my youth. Anyways, I loved it, it was hot, but it was way too expensive, car payments, pay-by-the-month insurance, fuel, tyres etc etc every week after all the bills where paid, I think I had $77 bucks left! After living like a uni student for 18 months (with a hot car!) I sold the "Big Red Machine" and purchased another 89 EA S pack 5sp manual Falcon, got it with 12 month rego for like $2400
It was a good car to me for many years..... Then I crashed it... Then came the Rover 416I..... And I blew it up... Then came the Toyota Echo (1st brand new car) paid $13500 brand new, did 70000km's and sold it for $10500! Then came the BF XR8 6sd manual ute (brand new comapny car - sweet) then came the Honda Accord Euro, rare 6sp manual aka the "rice cooker" but a nice luxury car, also brand new company car, finally the 50th anniversary FG XR6 turbo 6sp auto, also brand new company car.
Moral to my story.... did I waste WAY to much cash on cars when I was younger???? YEP! If I could go back in time, would I change anything???? NOPE!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
XR8_ash
2 wheel pilot, V8 novice.

Good thread with sound advice. I'm in the other side of the fence. Have to coin to drop on one but F-me if I could really justify my savings for a GT.....
I guess I'm a tight a22 though..... I like my BA XR8. I'd LOVE a GS SC Ute but I just couldn't do it..... Its the same with my bikes. They are old and really quite worthless now and I always drool when I see a BMW 100RR, SXV Aprilia or cross plane R1 for sale. They won't make me ride faster but I'd still love drooling over them ....
XR8_ash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
Matwilliams91

Not me, but back in the day my old man had the chance to buy The French/leonard Morley Ford coupe, genuine race car. $4000 back in his day, said no due to buying a different car. Upon hearing this I was not too happy haha.
Matwilliams91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I couldn't really afford the F6,.... but I'm still driving an F6

It's all about what you decided to put first on the priority list.

As I've said before, a house would've been better long term!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I'm thinking of going down the XR6T path when I'm off my P's. There are a few around that are in pretty decent condition and without a whopping price on em.

Going to open up a third bank account and throw all the money that I have after bills in there. I want this car and I'm going to make it happen. Wish me luck, Gentlemen!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

hmmm....can we making this beating off to temptations? And start postin some pics?! Might liven up things today...
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #26
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Hmmm yes temptations....its not always about money! Do I get the GS ute and my kids walk to school or the Ranger and drive them? Well they do need the exercise and their vitamin D levels may be deficient (tells wife). If anyone has any other good reasons PM me!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #27
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Tell her it's something that you need to do for you. I tried that once with one of my exes and it got me what I wanted. Mind you, it wasn't for a car but for a new Guitar I think. It still set me back a couple grand lol.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #28
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
It's all about what you decided to put first on the priority list.
Well this is true.
Do you want your own home and a 5 year old xr6T,
or
are you willing to sleep under a bridge or at your mum and dads house until you're 40 and drive the latest supercharged GTP!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #29
gtfpv
GT

if you cant afford it DONT DO IT . however the question is how you conclude you cant afford it ?
i read 2 things in your post , i cant afford it , ( which is probably true)
the 2nd thing is your going to buy one soon .

now this bug will not go away . soooo buy it or hold off . but think of other wants and needs before you make a decision , no matter how much cash you have everytime you make a big purchase , the same thing your going through now applies .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

being able to 'afford' something is a fickle thing
it'll mean one thing to one person and something else to another
heaps of people 'afford' things through loans and leases etc
can i afford a coyote 335? you betcha.
Do I realise that I would be compromising some aspects of my future by spending money I don't have? you betcha.

It also comes down to how you view life. If you've got the majority of your grandparents remaining, then life looks really rather long. If you or someone close to you has been affected by cancer, life looks rather fleeting.

You don't get to re-do your life, but then again, life isn't short. It's the longest thing you'll ever do!