Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Struggling to get an electrical apprenticeship and i'm getting nowhere fast

Alright guys, my names Nick, in the middle of last year I worked at bmw in the parts area as an interpreter but it didn't work out in the end as I hated it. After quitting my job at the start of september I went and did an electrical pre apprenticeship which I finished in December last year. Since then i've had no luck with any jobs that have been advertised nor have I found contacts with people around me. It's truly depressing now and i'm starting to give up on doing it now as I'm losing the drive as theres barely any oppurtunities out there, and if they are there on the other side of the city which isn't practical. Most of my mates are useless and can't get any contacts despite working as plumbers, hvac etc and i'm all on my own. I can't really ask for advice from my parents now as they gang up and roast me if I start mentioning jobs, because all I want in life now is to try things that I think I will want to do and i'm getting nowehere fast. I'm 20 in a few months and without a current job, i'm stuck going nowhere fast, just like a dole bludger at the moment, except I don't want to accept or seek payments from Centrelink because I don't want to look and feel more hopeless then I currently am. I am looking for part time jobs also for the time being but no luck so far. Moneys drying out and i'm sick and tired of wasting time now.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: Struggling to get an electrical apprenticeship and i'm getting nowhere fast

Last year you asked for the same advise. I told you to start cold calling electrical company's. you will get a job that way as it shows you are keen.
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Default Re: Struggling to get an electrical apprenticeship and i'm getting nowhere fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Last year you asked for the same advise. I told you to start cold calling electrical company's. you will get a job that way as it shows you are keen.
And I won't be the last one to tell you the same thing - approach as many contractors including smaller outfit's where you may get a wider spectrum of experience.
Not sure where your located but, you thought about doing your time with one of the Defence forces ? you may not get domestic/commercial exp with them but think they do look after you and good benefit's ( medical / home loan / defence housing etc ).
I'm a dinosaur in the electrical field and this was easier when I started my apprenticeship, realise things tougher now but of late all I'm hearing is the experts are saying " tradies shortage is looming "... get out there and annoy the employers and as previously said - show your keen as...
If you can jag a job in the power generation or solar/renewable energy sectors you WON'T go wrong.
Good Luck Champ.
Old 16-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Get a forklift ticket, and a truck licence. Never look back.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yer I posted that other thread but I'd thought I'd rather start a fresh one. Couple days ago on tv my dad said look at the TV and they started talking about apprenticeship shortages etc right, I find it to be the biggest load of bs because they always carry on no one wants to do it etc, but there is **** all jobs out there that are advertised.
Old 16-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

Wow, we struggle to find motivated apprentices when once a year we put a new one on. Try printing an aprenticeship wanted ad I suppose you'd call it with a bit of info about yourself and ask to stick it up in electrical wholesalers in your area. I see that all the time. It worked for the tradesman I did mine under back in the day. It also shows initiative which is a good trate to exhibit.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you considered joining the military
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only advice I'd give you is try and get as much work experience as possible and not give up, l was in my mid thirties and completed a carpenter apprenticeship at forty. It took nearly 12months after my pre app of labouring and cold calling every builder in the yellow pages before l got a job. The main is to be relentless in chasing what you want and dont giveup.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk74 View Post
The only advice I'd give you is try and get as much work experience as possible and not give up, l was in my mid thirties and completed a carpenter apprenticeship at forty. It took nearly 12months after my pre app of labouring and cold calling every builder in the yellow pages before l got a job. The main is to be relentless in chasing what you want and dont giveup.
Twice over the years the mob I work for employed the work experience kid. Both times it was because they showed their abilities and had good work ethics. I still reckon you double your chances if you semi advertise your self at wholesalers because companies who aren't actively looking and haven't put up any ads themselves on occasion see the sheet then decide it's time for more labour and make the call. Obviously still keep an eye out on seek and in the papers. I'd personally be a tad weary of the one man shows, but that's only because a good mate finished his apprenticeship and got the punt in favour of a cheaper new apprentice because his boss didn't want to expand his company and paying a tradesman was too expensive on 2 man jobs. Mind you my mate was lucky because he fell straight into another job with a company he used to sub contract to.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
have you considered joining the military
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57 View Post
Not sure where your located but, you thought about doing your time with one of the Defence forces ? you may not get domestic/commercial exp with them but think they do look after you and good benefit's ( medical / home loan / defence housing etc ).
It's not as good as it once was with regards to benefits, but it's still an option.
Nowadays there is the GAPS option, where you spend a year with defence, and after you can decide to stay on, or leave.
In the late 90's when I was dealing with trainees, it really surprised me the type of jobs they gave up to join the military.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

How old are you?
Old 16-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 19 mate, 20 in June times flying by since schools finished
Old 16-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Unfortunately, business owners seem to expect that a first year apprentice should be 16 years old. They forget that the extra few years makes a huge difference with job commitment and maturity.

Good luck mate.

Hope you find something positive soon.
Old 17-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #14
razbarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
100% agree with giant cranium. Remember, a lot of jobs aren't advertised. Put in the hard and quite often uncomfortable yards by cold calling. It will test your perseverance, however you will make your own luck by working hard at it.
Cold calling will teach you a lot about yourself.
Good luck at it. You have nothing to lose by giving it a red hot go.
razbarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Mate, further to my post earlier...a few of us are sparky's or building trade still working or retired on here, and word of mouth goes a long way !.
What region are you located or maybe looking into moving to for the job ?
You seem pretty keen on something asap so would be happy to keep my big ears and eyes open for any jobs..
If you decide to take other's advice on cold calling, ask can you do a week or so work experience - that way you will get the opportunity to see if you like what they do.
Cheers

Last edited by pursuit57; 17-03-2017 at 11:25 AM.
pursuit57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Word of mouth these days gets you the jobs

But in saying that, you could approach local contractors on building sites and give them (properly written down) your contact details and CV.
On Gumtree there's a section looking for work, can't hurt if your serious, sometimes I find part timers here.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #17
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the comments guys, over the weekend I'll look into finding numbers to call for next week. Also I live in Melbourne northern suburbs pursuit 57, I'm not sure if I'd wana move interstate just yet, being on my own is a big step that I'm not sure I can make right now. If you have contacts down here I'd appreciate any recommendations, numbers etc

And yer I am keen and motivated to do this becsuse I'm getting nowhere in life right now, its getting frustrating watching time pass by, having not much money to do anything, getting sick and tired of it.

Last edited by xr6-FTW; 17-03-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 17-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Write letters to every prospective employer you can find.

And quadruple check it for spelling errors. :P

Let every sparky you meet know that you are actively out looking for an apprenticeship. They might know someone...

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 06:15 AM   #19
paulie

One thing against you in tough financial times for businesses is that you would have to be hired as an Adult apprentice.
Doesn't sound like a big thing. But for many businesses that can be a clincher.

My apprenticeship wasn't advertised. I just called and gave them my resume. (Giving the resume in person can be a big bonus)
I dropped in on Friday afternoon and the boss decided to interview me there and then.
I started my 3month trial the following monday.
And they weren't even looking for anyone.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 06:16 AM   #20
paulie

Double post.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #21
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know you are more interested in electrical but also consider air condition installation and factory maintenance in your search - have you spoken to centre link about possible courses you can do to increase you knowledge or possibly see if you can get a trades assistance job in your desired field.
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #22
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contact NECA in Victoria and have a chat. They are the organisation for electrical contractors that assist with all sorts of business things including group training apprentices. We get our apprentices from them instead of doing our own training/employment and employ probably 80% of them at the end of their 4 years. We probably host 25-30 new apprentices every year in Sydney alone.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #23
sr71

Ive got a few Trade Licenses. Mostly achieved doing Tafe at night, and being available 7 days a week, getting Trade Assistant wages. I was working for $20/hr, and being charged out at full rate after a short time.
I'd already done a 6 month Restricted Connect/Disconnect course and the HVAC trade course ( with Electrical components), before I stared Electrical trade ( night Tafe). And looking back, knew enough to be dangerous, just as the Refrigeration Tafe teacher told us. So your Pre apprenticeship probably has you at the same level.
Talking with other 1 man Electrical Businesses, there is serious concern about taking on a young apprentice, and ending up being the one to tell the parents of the workplace death. And the time lost 'babysitting', while you teach them the right way. And on the day an extra set of hands is needed, it's Tafe day.

You need to be an asset to your employer. Not a liability. Present yourself in a tidy way, and be motivated. You need to be profitable for your employer.

I'd encourage you to get a night job (eg Coles/Woolworths).
And get a work vehicle (ute or van). Then start buying some tools. Getting a job at McDonald's, to buy tools/car, would show you can work in a regimented environment as part of a team.
Plus enrol in 2nd year straight away. Let the other students know you're looking for work.
Snap out of your attitude that you're wasting time, and sick of it. Life's like that!

I've done what you're wanting, a number of times. I've offered to work for free, to prove myself.
And when you get a chance, work hard:
•Work through morning tea, saying you're not hungry. And be the first to stand up at lunch, getting straight back into it.
•Pack up when you're told to. Not at 3:55pm.
•Clean up/sweep often and/or when your waiting for next instructions.

Here's a quote, that all trademen should own!
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" (Henry Ford)

And get rid of your "Attempting to give a damn" avatar. I wouldn't employ you, because of it.

Last edited by sr71; 18-03-2017 at 12:09 PM.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #24
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
Ive got a few Trade Licenses. Mostly achieved doing Tafe at night, and being available 7 days a week, getting Trade Assistant wages. I was working for $20/hr, and being charged out at full rate after a short time.
I'd already done a 6 month Restricted Connect/Disconnect course and the HVAC trade course ( with Electrical components), before I stared Electrical trade ( night Tafe). And looking back, knew enough to be dangerous, just as the Refrigeration Tafe teacher told us. So your Pre apprenticeship probably has you at the same level.
Talking with other 1 man Electrical Businesses, there is serious concern about taking on a young apprentice, and ending up being the one to tell the parents of the workplace death. And the time lost 'babysitting', while you teach them the right way. And on the day an extra set of hands is needed, it's Tafe day.

You need to be an asset to your employer. Not a liability. Present yourself in a tidy way, and be motivated. You need to be profitable for your employer.

I'd encourage you to get a night job (eg Coles/Woolworths).
And get a work vehicle (ute or van). Then start buying some tools. Getting a job at McDonald's, to buy tools/car, would show you can work in a regimented environment as part of a team.
Plus enrol in 2nd year straight away. Let the other students know you'relooking for work.
Snap out of your attitude that you're wasting time, and sick of it. Life's like that!

I've done what you're wanting, a number of times. I've offered to work for free, to prove myself.
And when you get a chance, work hard:
•Work through morning tea, saying you're not hungry. And be the first to stand up at lunch, getting straight back into it.
•Pack up when you're told to. Not at 3:55pm.
•Clean up/sweep often and/or when your waiting for next instructions.

Here's a quote, that all trademen should own!
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" (Henry Ford)
The attitude you just explained is 100%. It's what I find is lacking from the majority of the apprenti I have had. It's all about being pro active and showing initiative. That's how to prove your worth. Being available and willing to work obscure hours also shows dedication. As a second year I worked 20 odd 7 day weeks with the longest shift being 21 hours. Hence why I got paid a massive $12 an hour over the other guys who only got 11 as a second. I disagree when it comes to buying a car for work. If work needs you to have a van or ute, then they can buy it for you. I was given a van and apprentice when I was a 4th year. Had the van been my personal car it would not suite my lifestyle. I had an infant at the time so out of hours the van was parked in favour of my sedan. One thing my dad used to say to me as a child "if you can do your job better then your boss, you will move up and go places". Again, that was meant in the sense of proving your worth not just complaining.
Old 18-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #25
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6-FTW View Post
And yer I am keen and motivated to do this becsuse I'm getting nowhere in life right now, its getting frustrating watching time pass by, having not much money to do anything, getting sick and tired of it.
Buddy I don't wanna be the devils advocate here, but if you're as keen as you say, then why did you make a point in the OP about jobs over the other side of the city being too far?

You're in the Northern Burbs. Central to everywhere. I'm a builder developer now, I lived in Warrandyte and went to Uni in Geelong (doing Construction Management and Architecture Degree) 4 days a week for 5 years, while learning/working on the tools the remaining day and working at pubs/bars on saturdays and sundays. My subcontractors who now do my work for me, some live in Geelong, some live in Frankston/Seaford, and one of my roofers comes from Rosebud. Drives to Melbourne for work daily. I was talking to an apprentice sparky who was on one of my jobs installing a CBUS system and he was from Wonthaggi!

Just sayin, if you're that keen (to the point of depression), probably not the best idea to discount an opportunity because its on the "other side of town"
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #26
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Buddy I don't wanna be the devils advocate here, but if you're as keen as you say, then why did you make a point in the OP about jobs over the other side of the city being too far?

You're in the Northern Burbs. Central to everywhere. I'm a builder developer now, I lived in Warrandyte and went to Uni in Geelong (doing Construction Management and Architecture Degree) 4 days a week for 5 years, while learning/working on the tools the remaining day and working at pubs/bars on saturdays and sundays. My subcontractors who now do my work for me, some live in Geelong, some live in Frankston/Seaford, and one of my roofers comes from Rosebud. Drives to Melbourne for work daily. I was talking to an apprentice sparky who was on one of my jobs installing a CBUS system and he was from Wonthaggi!

Just sayin, if you're that keen (to the point of depression), probably not the best idea to discount an opportunity because its on the "other side of town"
I spend atleast 2 and a half hours combined traveling to and from work. I live in western Sydney and work high rise in the city. I'm simply just used to it. It's the price you pay for better wages and cleaner working environments. My biggest perk is I have a 24 hour free parking space in the city. That's gold right there
Old 18-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #27
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Become a motor mechanic. After your apprenticeship you'll be qualified. After that do all the dealer training and become a master technician and you could earn up to $25/h. Plus a tool allowance of $11/week. The sky's the limit really.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #28
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I spend atleast 2 and a half hours combined traveling to and from work.
This is starting to sound like that Monty Python sketch you can not get the young to work these days......

I must admit I hate commuting across cities but I'm quite happy to travel two days then stay onsite, especially in the country.

Old 18-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #29
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
This is starting to sound like that Monty Python sketch you can not get the young to work these days......

I must admit I hate commuting across cities but I'm quite happy to travel two days then stay onsite, especially in the country.
I'm not poking holes, but I like the fact I can come home to the family every day.
Old 18-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #30
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I'm not poking holes, but I like the fact I can come home to the family every day.
All good, that's cool, I like the fact I don't have to.