Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Default rough idle on gas

Just bought a 'new' au series 1 (new for me!) ex taxi on dual fuel. runs great, awesom economy no major issues (so far) but do have a few concerns - so if anyone knows the answers to the following it certainly wouldnt go unappreciated.

1) sounds like its missing a cylinder when idling on gas - especialy predominant when the air-con is on but idles perfect on petrol .

2) automatic transmission slips when the engines cold - I suspect low trans fluid could be the cause but couldnt find anywhere to check or refill.

3)abs light is constantly on, and console doesnt illuminate when headlights are on (not overly concerned by this)

so if anyones got suggestions, im all ears. cheers! it:

robbo_yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
EvilChief
Boost Addict

I think you answered your own question in your first sentence ... "ex taxi"

first of all how many km are on the car ...?

1) This doesnt come to much of a suprise, assuming your car has 500thou km+, gas should use a high comp setup, but due to dual fuel only moderate compression can be used, so its not too uncommona that ideling on gas can get a little funny if servicing wasnt quite up to scratch or the equipment ...

2) Au transmission are full sealed units, so you cannot check for level, also its shouldnt be low in fluid unless it has been leaking. Sounds like the belts are slipping. Get it checked, again if kms are high enough a recon might be the way to go

3) get ABS checked by certified mechnic, console, sounds like the light bulbs might be blown or a fuse, check fuse first then light bulbs in back of dash, removal procedures are on aufalcon.com

Cheers
Mic
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Hi, welcome to ex-taxi ownership, I hope you find it as rewarding as I. I bought mine at 748,000 and am now up to 813,000 in two years. I have replaced the engine ($900) with a low k unit, and the trans ($280) with an EB 4 speed auto.

Plugs and leads are the likely culprit for the missing on LPG, LPG needs a stronger spark than petrol, give that a go. Failing than it will be the LPG tune.

AU transmissions are sealed units but most Taxi's are retro fitted with a dipstick. If not you could do it yourself or go to a workshop to get it checked.

Some dodgy taxi base stations have been known to disable ABS (I still dont know why - Racecraft would know) Take it to an auto electrician and have it looked at.

If the trans is stuffed buy a second hand one for $200 - $400 and put it in. Better than $2500 for a rebuild!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
JL
Ford Focus RS & FG F6

I've just also bought myself an ex-taxi... AUII that just clicked over 600,000ks.

Runs really smooth on gas... injectors have been disconnected anyways so it runs straight gas (impco system) Transmission slips when cold but once it gets goin its fine.

Turbo taxi can you recommend any places to get low k 4 speed boxes? Tempting to turbo it in the future as well
JL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I live in the west of NSW, major cities seem to be the best place.
Just hit the phone and ring around.

Any of the transmissions that were fitted from EA to AU (even the 3 speed I am led to believe) will bolt/wire straight in. You just need to use the bellhousing off the AU.

When I was looking EA trans can be had for next to nothing. AU's range from $400 to $1000, the older the trans the cheaper they seem to be. As for the K's its a bit of a lucky dip. If it is going on a stock car you will generally get 3 months warranty.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
Plugs and leads are the likely culprit for the missing on LPG, LPG needs a stronger spark than petrol, give that a go. Failing than it will be the LPG tune.
Said it all!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
JL
Ford Focus RS & FG F6

What exactly is involved in an LPG tune?
JL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

There are adjustments for flow from the convertor.
They put an exhaust gas analyser in the tail pipe and adjust away.