Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default au head gasket whats the difference?

Guys. I have heard that the au head gasket is metal.Is this correct? If so where can I get one?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes; multilayered steel. Any Ford Dealer.
Old 15-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Only Ford sell them for now, although i have been on to suppliers and Permaseal, Durapro and ACL are all bringing one out early this year.

Shaun

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
chief
FTF Club Moderator

As said the head gaskets are steel compared to the e series was is some sort of rubber / plastic. I forget what the material is called.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Thanks for that.I was offered graphite head gasket but I was certain because of previous posts that the orginal head gasket is steel.That has got to be alot tougher for sure. Thanks again

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any chance of them being available in copper??
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

iirc the AU gasket is also thinner than the rest

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

ACL list a copper gasket see http://www.acl.com.au/web/aclwebsite.nsf part numbers BR520CU10-GTR Ford 6 cyl EA-AU 95.00mm 7.0cc 11.3cc and BR520CU16-GTR 3.740”
Old 16-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats the bennifit of copper?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Copper is reusable so useful for racing applications where you do frequent engine tear downs or as ACL say:
COPPERHEAD® gaskets offer the following benefits:
· Excellent heat transfer properties
· Stable material as gaskets are annealed in a controlled environment
· Minimal heat relaxation of head gasket
· Ability to withstand higher compression pressures
· Ability to be reused if cylinder head(s) is removed frequently
· Better options for positioning wire “O” ring on the cylinder block (if
required)
Old 16-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

But copper head gaskets must be re-torqued, with those comparisons they are comparing them to composite gaskets. The steel MLS gasket also has all of the abilities of copper but cant be re-used.

Old 16-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the copper is only single layer , i dont know if it would be as good in this application, the reason the ford ones are multi layered is to cope with different expansion rates of the aluminum head and cast iron block ,someone correct me if im wrong
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #13
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
the copper is only single layer , i dont know if it would be as good in this application, the reason the ford ones are multi layered is to cope with different expansion rates of the aluminum head and cast iron block ,someone correct me if im wrong
True, and obviously helps transfer the heat, another reason for the MLS gasket is to help with electrolosis in the cooling system that the E series suffered from.

Copper has its good points aswell though for a N/A streeter i wouldnt bother unless you may go forced or something down the track.

Old 16-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Again from the ACL Catalogue
Quote:
MULTI-LAYER STEEL (MLS)
Part Numbers which contain a Multi Layer steel head gasket include a reference in the Notes section at
the bottom of each page
As its name suggests, a Multi-Layer steel gasket is constructed with a number of steel layers all with a specific purpose. The functional or outer layer, usually coated with rubber for micro-sealing, provides the means of sealing for the oil and coolant passages and as a back up seal for the combustion area.

The stopper zone, located beneath the functional layer, applies a downward load around down the bore wall and seals the combustion chamber. The distance layer (spacer) within the gasket is inactive and provides the gasket with an overall finished thickness.

A Multi-Layer steel head gasket offers the following benefits:
- Excellent temperature resistance
- May be tailored to the engine system
The fitment of a Multi-Layer steel head gasket requires an extremely tight surface finish and waviness of both cylinder head and black.
Another big advantage on E series Ford 6 is that unlike composite gaskets, the coolant won't wear through the gasket and then into the cylinder, at the front of the head where it blocks of the two redundant cooling passages.

Last edited by aussiblue; 16-01-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: layout formatting of quote
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

and at http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm100178.htm

Quote:
The ultimate head gasket design today is multi-layer steel (MLS), which is used on Ford 4.6L V8s, other Ford engines, as well as Chrysler, Honda, Mazda and others makes. This design typically has three to seven layers of steel. The outer layers are usually stainless spring steel, embossed and coated with a thin layer of nitrile rubber or Viton to provide extra cold sealing. The inner layers provide added support and thickness.

MLS gaskets are extremely durable compared to other types of head gaskets because of their all-steel construction. They won't burn through, and they won't relax and take a compression set that can lead to leaks and sealing problems. MLS gaskets also reduce blowby and improve compression by reducing bore distortion in the cylinders (less load is needed to seal this type of gasket.) But MLS gaskets require a special type of head bolt that stretches when it is tightened ("torque-to-yield" or TTY head bolts, which should not be reused). They also require extremely smooth surface finishes on both the cylinder head and engine block to seal properly.

Aftermarket MLS gaskets have also been introduced as replacements for some problem engine applications that need a more durable head gasket. These include the Toyota 5VZFE 3.4L V6 truck engine and the 2.0L Dodge Neon. On both applications, the MLS replacement gasket works better than the OEM gasket - and requires no special surface finish because an extra thick coating provides the proper cold seal.