Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
thepedster
EA Wagon

Default Quick transmission fluid help!

I have the car downstairs all set to go with the right fluid and a funnel and rags and stuff ready to top up my trans fluid, I have checked the dip stick and its sitting at just under half way o nthe fill up mark, so I know it needs some juice in there,

but how much roughly? I don't want to be tipping in 50ML at a time doing the whole getting in the car, going through the gears, jumping out, killing the engine and getting the dipstick in there process only to find its like a litre down!

I have checked the handbook but it doesn't say the quantity of oil needed for the maximum>minimum marks :( I thought if you guys knew, it would save time messing around with it!

thepedster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

most dipsticks indicate 1L between low and full

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
thepedster
EA Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
most dipsticks indicate 1L between low and full
yeah, thats what I was thinking, I know the oil marks are, but I was thinking perhaps the transmission fluid is a lot more 'delicate' and 'precise' than that, cos I know its going to be a pain to try and syphone it out if I ИИИИ it up!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Yeah at the bottom of the "range" on my EF's transmission dippie, it says add 500ml... so the difference between the bottom and top of the "range" marked on the dipstick will be about half a litre...
Old 05-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
thepedster
EA Wagon

I took just a bout 500ML to get it from 1/3rd of the 'ok' section to maximum, but then I spilled quite a lot of it too so can't be sure of the exact amounts, but thanks for you ideas and help!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
4.9 EF Futura

She'll smell great when the fluid on the exhaust heats up a bit lol
Old 05-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
QUIKXR6
Kurucu Performance

If its an auto make sure u check the oil from the dipstick when the car is running and in neutral...or in drive with the park brake up cheers...

Www.KurucuPerformance.Vze.Com
QUIKXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura

IIRC the procedure is to start the car, work through the gears a couple of times (whilst stationary) and check with engine running and transmission in P
Old 05-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
F6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
IIRC the procedure is to start the car, work through the gears a couple of times (whilst stationary) and check with engine running and transmission in P
This is correct. You should always cycle through the gears, leaving it in gear for about 3 seconds each gear. This was the oil circulates through all the transmission.

Check the fluid when it's operating temp and in 'Park' position.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

mate auto fluid smells the worst!

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #11
thepedster
EA Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIKXR6
If its an auto make sure u check the oil from the dipstick when the car is running and in neutral...or in drive with the park brake up cheers...
The way the handbook and Gregorys say to do it is (not tredding on your toes just raising a question):

With the engine up to operating temperature (handbook says minimum 8KM trip) park the car on a level surface and open the bonnet, remove the dipstick and clean and lay to one side, work the car through the gears with the parkbrake on and obviosuly still the engine running, then put it in Park, switch off the engine and check the fluid within 10 seconds of switch off.

Thats pretty much what I did, and I can see why it all has to be hot under there and why you cycle through the gears, I guess they only say kill the engine so you dont get your arm caught in a belt or something by mistake! Safety first and all that...