Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-02-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Sweet EL

Default 2 Problems. Need Help.

Hi Guys, I've got an 98 EL Fairmont Ghia, Tickford enhanced, whiteline sup kit.

The problems I got is the when I'm accelerating the EL seems to have problems between 2000 - 3500 rpm. Its seems to stop reving then keep going. It dose about 3 time in that rev range... Any ideas?? I've been told it could be the ECU or the Auto slipping...

The 2nd problem is only when I turn left there is a knocking sound coming from the back drivers side... Theres nothing in the boot, and it seems to of olny started about a week or 2 ago and I can't seem to find the problem..

and help would be good.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The knocking is either diff, or I bet the bushes in the rear.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
Sweet EL

I hope its not the diff, coz that'll cost alot and coz of all this rain I haven't been working.. but if it is the diff whats making do that???

Last edited by Sweet EL; 09-02-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
chelvdog
Soul baby

Your revving problem sounds like you got a miss somewhere, could be leads, coil, dizzy cap or maybe your ecu is playing up. Generally when an auto starts slipping it happens when gears engage, you'll notice your car takes longer to change gears. Your rear end sounds like a worn bush to me ( hopefully, coz a bush is a shiteload cheaper than a diff!!)
Old 09-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

how long ago was the suspension fitted?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
Sweet EL

how can I check of its the leads, coil, dizzy cap or the ecu??

the suspension fit fitted as far as I know coz it was on the car when I got, would of been about 2 - 3 years ago...
Old 09-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #7
pauly85
commodore bogan

the knock could be a loose shocker, i had the same prob with my old el ghia...just turned out to be the loose shocker
pauly85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

The missing aceeleration problem is the EXACT problem that I have been putting up with in mine for the last 6 months... No one seems to be able to give me a straight answer, but mine does the exact same thing, and I dont know what it is. Its utterly infuriating....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
MAD
Petro-sexual

The revving problem you are having definately sounds like something to do with the ignition side of things, be it leads, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor button or the coil itself.
The EF at work had the exact thing and new leads/plugs fixed it.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #10
Sweet EL

I'll hav to check if it a loose shocker on the wkend, how can you tell if the bushers need replaceing?? um where are they. I've never had to fine so I don't know what I'm looking for...

I'll check the plugs on the wkend too and if anyone knows if there any way to test the leads, coil, and dizzy can you let me know so I can do that while I'm at it...

Thanx
Old 09-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #11
EB6
apprentice grease monkey

to check your leads measure resistance on them for every 300mm of leads i thing there should only be up to 10 ohm of resistance (not too sure on that number trade school was a year ago). spark plugs look for a rounded edge on the bottom piece of the plug that the spark jumps too also look for cracks dis coloration and general signs of it bein crap. the dizzy cap look for cracks very fine ones as well can cause alot of trouble. when was the last time ya put injector flush through your car, ive seen mis fires that ya would swear are igniton being fouled up injectors. Also get a can of carby cleaner take your PCV valve off with the engine running and spray it into the hose into the intake manifold NOT THE ROCKER COVER. this will clean your inlet manifold and the back of your valves and the head, the enigne will want to stall doin this so keep the revs up.
EB6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
Sweet EL

kool thnx guys I'll hav a look at all those things asap... I'll let ya know how I go..
Old 10-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #13
4lex
the pom

Don't overlook the obvious either - the wheel bolts are tight aren't they...
4lex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #14
Sweet EL

Ok I found the knocking problem... Its my crappy exhaust, so next week when I get a new one put on that will be gone, all the other thing seemed to be fine...

The revving problem seems to hav gone, I put a bit of injector cleaner and made the gap in the spark plugs a little closer (they just look far apart) but they where all clean there dosen't seem to be any cracks in the dizzy cap...

also where is the fuel filter?? Is it the silver can thingy under the car on the rear passenger side?? If so whats the best way to remove it and clean it???

Thanx for all your halp guys.