Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 26-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
JouMa

Default Oil Pressure not constant

Hi

Went crusin last night and looking at my instrument panel and noticed that every time i looked the oil presure was at a differend level, i monitored it and noticed it moves from quater to just above 3 quaters up and donw constanly as im driving, the light hasnt come on for low presure. It goes low then high.

Is this normal or a problem, or maybe and electronic problem. I have checked the oil and is spot on

Please help

It's an Fairmont GHIA EF II 6cyl 4L

Thanks

JouMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
JouMa

bump....
JouMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Try cleaning the electrical wire as sometimes they get grubby, next try a new oil sender
Ive also heard that the E series were prone to bad earths
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JouMa
Hi

Went crusin last night and looking at my instrument panel and noticed that every time i looked the oil presure was at a differend level, i monitored it and noticed it moves from quater to just above 3 quaters up and donw constanly as im driving, the light hasnt come on for low presure. It goes low then high.

Is this normal or a problem, or maybe and electronic problem. I have checked the oil and is spot on

Please help

It's an Fairmont GHIA EF II 6cyl 4L

Thanks
Unscrew your oil pressure sender and screw in a mechanical (or master) oil pressure guage.

If the oil sender turns out to be okay, (as in the readings from the mechanical one compare to your pressure on the dash) then maybe you need to see a mechanic.

Your oil pump might be on the way out...

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 01:46 AM   #5
Madhatter
EF Fairmont Ghia

you should get fluctuations as you go from idle to high throttle percentages (basically with changes in rpm), thats normal, long periods of idling will see the pressure lower before recovering.

Ford basically suck at this, they pretty much just tell the owner anything in between the orange indicators is normal operation, really it should be a little under 30psi at idle and around 40psi at fast idle (2500 rpm) to indicate sufficient operation.

If it happens when you havent really changed in revs, then you probably have an issue (and start with some of the above).

Make sure you dont neglect your oil changes and use decent quality oil too, if you dont keep up oil changes you start to get build ups of scum and crud which can (and does) play havoc with your oil pressure. Especially if you reach a stage where it blocks (partially or otherwise) the oil pickup in the sump.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote