Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
sanjay

Default New shock absorbers...

hey guys, time for another "sanjay's a moron" thread

this time i did search though! and couldnt find much relevant to me.

i reckon the shock absorbers in my XR6 are gone...after 200,000km i wouldnt be surprised if they were never replaced.

what im asking is - are the shockies in a XR6 VCT any different to that in a standard falcon? and how much am i looking at for the cheapest new shocks all around? i dont do any spirited driving in this thing, i just dont want it bouncing up and down over speed bumps.

Old 13-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've seen Ultimas on ebay for $150/pair front and rear.

edit: Fronts http://tinyurl.com/2rugko
Rears http://tinyurl.com/289lmp

Last edited by ronwest; 13-03-2008 at 10:03 PM.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

i am quite interested in this myself as i think my shockies are on the way out too. i have fitted kink springs lows and as soon as i have some weight on board (tank of fuel and a couple of rear seat passengers) the rear seems to be really soft. it bottomed out the other week at 100k's....not very happy.

at some point the car was used for towing something presumably a largish caravan, and i think the rear shocks havr been changed at some point. is there a heavier duty option?

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest

So Ultimas are good quality then? I've not heard of them. Pardon my ignorance if they're top gear.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what I've read they're a reasonable low cost alternative. Ride quality is reportedly a little firmer than usual, but by no means bad.

I'm looking into getting a full set of these soon myself. I might get fronts first though and see how they treat me before forking out on rears as well. Depends on what they offer in regards to combined postage discounts.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest

yeah but then theres the issue of installation...i wont be doing it myself.
Old 14-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay
yeah but then theres the issue of installation...i wont be doing it myself.
Take them to your local smaller workshop.. Shouldn't take a pro long to switch out shocks.

Why not have a go at it yourself? That's what I plan to do!
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Monroe, Ultima, Pedders, KYB, Gabriel, etc, are all in the budget end of the range and all offer better performance than standard, but not a lot. Expect to pay somewhere around $300 - 400 for 4.

If you want to get serious, Koni or Bilstien are the ants pants, but expect to pay upwards of $1000 for 4. Koni make 2 ranges, reds and yellows, the yellows are the top line.
But they really are that good.

Rick.
Old 14-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
So Ultimas are good quality then?GK
I've never used them George but my brother had them all-round and reckons they're as good as anything else he's had over the years.

I'd break shocks up into two groups - "normal" and "performance".

The price will tell you which is which although I think it's debatable whether a shock that's three times the price is three times better for normal street driving.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
Take them to your local smaller workshop.. Shouldn't take a pro long to switch out shocks.

Why not have a go at it yourself? That's what I plan to do!
yeah ill give my mech a call (why did i have to find a good mechanic, finally, thats like 20km away from me :p)

dont wanna try anything serious myself on this car, that was what the bluey was for (didnt care if i stuffed it up)
Old 15-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I put Ultima's in the back of the ute ... as they hadn't been replaced previously.
They have been quite good ... especially loaded up too.

Quite cheap ... and they do the job well.

I got quoted approx $800 for Koni replacements ... Bilstein was double that price. Was advised to Billies were really for track work and not normal/spirited driving ... more suited to competition.

I have Pedders in the front of the ute ... and after about 120,000km ... I think they are on their way out now ... its starting to feel a little soft again on sweepers ... and just in general.

If i had the cash .... I'd go Koni's.

But for the Ultima's .... so far so good. Especially for the money.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the XR6 VCZT has different rear shocks to a standard AU because of IRS shocks should be replaces about 80 to 100 Ks especially the front where gradual degradation actually lengthens braking distance

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
SVR73
Mr Polish

The XR definately has different shocks, they are monroe's and I've had to replace mine in the past due to the previous owner working it hard on weekends
I just got exact some spec monroe's but eventually when I have enough money, the koni's and as yet to be determined top shelf brand shocks will go in and lower it down a little bit
Old 16-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Had 4 ultima's put in my old lowered AU on King lows (so similiar to XR6).

Around $550 installed, made a tremendous change to the cactus stock 150,000 klms old shocks. Seemed like an Ok shocker to me, did about 10,000 klms with them and i quite liked the setup.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
nitroman
nitroman

I've just installed Koni's front and rear and they have transformed the car from being a wobbly teeth gritting experience to a very stable confidence inspiring on rails feeling.
I was lucky to get them cheap (fronts $440 at local autopro due to the previous shock buyer dogging it, and rears $100 on ebay seconhand in good nick) They are normally $560 a pair. Best mod I've done to the car by far.
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i chucked Boge short shocks in mine and standard length up rear as they are not available for IRS yet (only koni's are available in a short shock)
very happy with them
reasonably priced and made in germany or somthing too.. and are standard equipment in alot of euro trash like porsche etc