Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Default Issue with my Fairmont

Hi guys,

Only started happening today, but when driving along at around 55km/h, when my car drops into 4th gear it drops down to about 1000rpm, and has a major vibration, like an old deisel engine vibrating under load when your in a gear higher than you should be.

It only does it in 4th, if you shift it back to third and try at same revs it wont do it.

I had the auto serviced noly a couple of months back so i hope its not that.

The car is a '98 AU Fairmonth Automatic

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Col.

TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Torque converter playing up perhaps?

Sounds like the trouble I was having in my SR before I converted it to manual. I found that if I gave it a bit off the line and then eased up on the pedal, it did what you're describing. It would then seem to find itself and be okay again.

It was like it was going straight up to 4th, where it was labouring, then dropping back to 3rd or so.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Maybe you could look at the bush in the Gearbox rear extension housing? when they wear they can allow a vibration? The bush is replaceable just takes a little bit of time. A Bush, new extension seal and that just might be the ticket? Could be a good thing to start with
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will also pay to inspect/replace the universal joints.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Night

Had the exact same problem in a old vn I had. I can't remember what it was called, might be torque converter I'm not sure but when I took the trans off there was a few bolts holding this thing on and they were loose. It vibrated in forth at about 55klms just like yours does. The only way I could tighten these bolts was to remove the trans but I have been told that some cars have a plate under the belmouth I think that you can remove to tighten these bolts. I'm not the best when it comes to transmissions so sorry if what I wrote is unclear but I hope it helps.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
Maybe you could look at the bush in the Gearbox rear extension housing? when they wear they can allow a vibration? The bush is replaceable just takes a little bit of time. A Bush, new extension seal and that just might be the ticket? Could be a good thing to start with
This is usually the main cause ... tailshaft needs to come out to replace it though ... it's not the bwest of jobs ... but has to be done.

Another thing that can cause it is the rear rubber transmission mount can crack and cause excess movement in the transmission and cause vibration as well. (I have this at the moment ... but it's not that noticable for now).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
Adgum

Yeah, same thing happens with mine. Apparently the possible cause on mine was the previous owner who towed a boat around.

Since i brought it 5 days ago i can probably get it covered under the 3 month warranty :P
Old 07-01-2008, 02:08 AM   #8
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
Hi guys,

Only started happening today, but when driving along at around 55km/h, when my car drops into 4th gear it drops down to about 1000rpm, and has a major vibration, like an old deisel engine vibrating under load when your in a gear higher than you should be.

It only does it in 4th, if you shift it back to third and try at same revs it wont do it.

I had the auto serviced noly a couple of months back so i hope its not that.

The car is a '98 AU Fairmonth Automatic

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Col.
Converter bolts are loose .Gte under there and fix it before it munches the box .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Thanks for all the replies guys. I booked into my auto mechanic today. Just took it around there, he believes it to be a computer issue, locking in the talk converter to early. He had a check over it while it was there and says thats it. He has seen it with other falcons aswell, utes especially bad as the vibration is amplified by the tub.

Is there any way to check if the ecu is putting out fault codes for any of th sensors that may be involved??, Is there anything else that could help, as you cant modify the standard ecu at all can you to change shift patterns.

All he could suggest is drive in 3rd around town, and wait until up to 70 or 80km/h then drop it into 4th on the highway.

Thanks again

Col.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgum
Yeah, same thing happens with mine. Apparently the possible cause on mine was the previous owner who towed a boat around.

Since i brought it 5 days ago i can probably get it covered under the 3 month warranty :P
I wish you luck and hope your car dealer is better to work with than mine. My car heads back one day before the warranty runs out (Thursday) for the FOURTH time to fix issues that have been known about since a week after I bought the car.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 AM   #11
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
I wish you luck and hope your car dealer is better to work with than mine. My car heads back one day before the warranty runs out (Thursday) for the FOURTH time to fix issues that have been known about since a week after I bought the car.
if the issue is raised while under warrentee they have to fix it... thats my understanding..

so make sure they dont stonewall you

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #12
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Falcon 99
if the issue is raised while under warrentee they have to fix it... thats my understanding..

so make sure they dont stonewall you
Car goes back in about 7 hours.. Will let them send it to their alternate mechanic and see what happens.
If there is anything they refuse to fix that I've notified them about I'll go straight to fair trading with my case. No more mucking around and no more mr nice guy.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 AM   #13
Werd.
nou

Take economy off so it doesn't shift as early? Or if you look in the handbook theres 3 "modes" you can set using a combination of brake pedal and 1-2-3 gear or something.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #14
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

To me it sounds like loose torque converter bolts. I hope your mechanic is right for your sake. If it is the converter bolts and they come out you'll be up for a new gearbox for sure. Your mechanic should have or have access to the codes and the tool for reading the codes. That would tell you if its an ecu issue.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Ok, an update on this issue. The car had been running fine since, it seemed to have cleared up. or at least i thought.

I went for a run down to ballina to a car show & Shine on the weekend (about an hours drive) was fine on the way down, running on gas. On the way back i ran out of gas about half hour from home, switched it over to fuel. It has a major hunting/surging issue on fuel smack bank on about 100-110km/hr. When it was doing this it heated up, turned the climate control into diagnostic mode to see temp and it was getting up around 108deg. If i ran with aircon off and dropped back to 80-90km/h it would drop down again. When back intown i tested it abit, got some more gas and it still did it (temp going up). Got stuck in a traffic jam for about 15mins, sat there dead stopped with aircon cranked and sat perfectly on 92deg. Only when i start running it heats up. Also nioticed gearbox playing up again when hot. Tested since aswell. On a hotter day (29-30deg) it will play up when warm (gearbox & temp), but when cold gearbox will be fine & eng temp will be fine. Seems to be when box plays up, temp goes up.

So to sum it all up,

- Hunting at 100-110km/h is fuel related - Doesnt do it on gas. Changing fuel filter this week. Any other suggestions???

- Overheating - doing radiator flush & coolant change this week. Might change thermostat as well, hasnt been done in the 100,000Km i have had the car for. Any other suggestions what could be causing it, or all three issues??

- Gearbox - still unknown. Will get ford to test if still playing up after i do the above.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

Col.
Old 15-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #16
T-Pak Addict
Jim

dont forget to drill the thermostat out for lpg when you replace it.
Otherwise you get no flow to the convertor when cold

Old 15-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Falcon 99
dont forget to drill the thermostat out for lpg when you replace it.
Otherwise you get no flow to the convertor when cold
What???

Please explain.

Does it effect it that I have injected system on it??

Thanks.
Old 15-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #18
T-Pak Addict
Jim

if it has a convertor for the LPG then you will have to drill a small hole at the top and bottom to allow water to bypass to feed the converor otherwise it will freeze up.

one small hole at the top and 2 on the second stage (bottom)

Old 15-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #19
JoesAu

my car does the same thing at 55km-60, when i switch to power mode it stops doing it. its the overdrive isnt it?? also mine chugs like a old manual sometimes like its hesitating what could that be??

Last edited by JoesAu; 15-01-2008 at 07:12 PM.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Yeah my auto mechanic said its the ECU locking up the torque converter before it should, so its labouring. I tried running in power and it still does it. Mine also gets hot when its doing it though, which is a problem. I dont think my current thermostat was drilled when i had the LPG put on. My system starts on petrol then automatically switches over to gas when the engine temp is right, but i will look into it as i am hopefully doing it tonight. Thanks for the replies.
Old 16-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #21
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try driving the car in 3 for a little while.. That should stop the converter from locking up. Flick it into D when you hit 80km/h (or put up with driving around at higher revs)
Old 16-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #22
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Thats what the auto guy said, but the thing is i shouldnt have to do that and if im on the highway and i drop down to 60ish km/h in traffic i dont want to have to keep flicking it back to third all the time. If i need to drive it that way, i will pull the thing out & drop a manual in (which i am considering). Might do some more research on that actually.

Cheers.
Old 21-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Hey guys, still havinging issues.

How do i check if the torque convertor bolts are loose myself, or do i need a mechanic/ford to do it?? Do i need to drop the box off like mentioned earlier or is there access without removing the box???
I do have a workshop manual somewhere but im in the middle of moving and i have no idea where it is so i cant check it out in that.

Im a dummy so as much info as possible would be great.

Cheers

Col.

Last edited by autickfordfairmont; 21-01-2008 at 11:00 AM.