Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Default Making the au i6 headwork count?

I have to ask this question to all in internet land.Has anyone got a real measureable real life improvement from cylinder head porting? I know that windsor heads with a port can get terrific gains but when it comes to these sixes it seems that the best in the business are yet to provide a real measure of increase.

Has anyone got any real life gains?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

In my opinion they dont need much work, just a tidy up on the short turn radious's and remove all casting marks and can benifit from cutting down the intake guide and shaping them into a point so it cuts and splits the air rather then hitting a round area. Thats all we do at work but if **** factor is what is wanted then we will do mega port but it does nothing, unless the flow is needed. Ill ask you this how many people get heads ported and then do nothing to the intake manifold? or make sure things align properly.

There is no point getting a head ported so it will flow 450hp when they struggle to make 300hp.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Yes but these heads die at around 470 lift so putting a bigger lift cam than this is well..useless.

What sort of gains have you seem in real life though?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 22-11-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
EvilChief
Boost Addict

for headwork to work effectively you need to match it with an appropiate cam.

We matched my camshaft with a reasonable head port, port match and increased compression.

It showed good improvements over the stock condition, the combination of improvements painted the big picture thou.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
Gianz

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
In my opinion they dont need much work, just a tidy up on the short turn radious's and remove all casting marks and can benifit from cutting down the intake guide and shaping them into a point so it cuts and splits the air rather then hitting a round area. Thats all we do at work but if **** factor is what is wanted then we will do mega port but it does nothing, unless the flow is needed. Ill ask you this how many people get heads ported and then do nothing to the intake manifold? or make sure things align properly.

There is no point getting a head ported so it will flow 450hp when they struggle to make 300hp.
someone needs to do their homework and read a book on aerodynamics. cutting down the intake guides and shaping them into a point to apparently "cut and split the air" is far beyond the truth and crazy. my advice, go and see jim mock motorsport, he will show you "real porting" and the exact gains you can expect. i will be getting mine done soon and i will post the results once its done.
Gianz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianz
someone needs to do their homework and read a book on aerodynamics. cutting down the intake guides and shaping them into a point to apparently "cut and split the air" is far beyond the truth and crazy. my advice, go and see jim mock motorsport, he will show you "real porting" and the exact gains you can expect. i will be getting mine done soon and i will post the results once its done.
Please do post up your results as far as 1/4 mile differences if possible. I would like to see what a great head port will do.I am still yet to be convinced or seen real gains from head porting so far.

. While I have my own theories on porting I have read these from engineering books which I am skeptical about.So my thoughts dont really count unless I put down the numbers at the track.

Well see these results next june /July.

Old 22-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

Tickford
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Jim mock please go and see a real machinist, Have you seen a job from say Flow Craft? Give him a ring and tell him to stop all his guide pointing on his 10 sec engines.

Old 22-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Jim Mock Motorsports LMAO... ahh Gianz, heres an idea, you go see JMM and get your free kw's and let the rest of us go to reputable workshops and get some real work done
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
Jim mock please go and see a real machinist, Have you seen a job from say Flow Craft? Give him a ring and tell him to stop all his guide pointing on his 10 sec engines.
Are these 10 sec engines falcon I6's? If not, what has he done with the Falcon I6? Useless is interested in what can be done on the SOHC I6 which is currently a tough nut to crack. There are plenty of other motors in cars running 10's but if this guy is getting the SOHC I6 into the 10's, why didn't anyone say something before? There are a lot of us looking to find some concrete information about good head work for our motors and if someone's cracked it, it would be nice to see who they are and what they've done.
Old 22-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #11
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate as you know with mine i picked up about 25nm of torque and lost a couple of kw.
i think with your edit and a good tuner you will get some good results.with mine i think its to much for the ecu to handle ,mine flowed 368 @500 thou.its like putting in a bigger cam you loose a lot of vacume @ idle and the ecu dosen't like this.it throws heaps of fuel in and generaly has a spaz.to get it idle half decent and behave itself i had to have the cam advanced 5 degrees .but with your edit they should be able to tune this out.
i do believe there are good gains to be had with a cam matched to the headwork and a decent tuner.
while we are on the subject has anyone had a bbm manifold flow tested yet?maybe these are a restriction also to what a ported head can do
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Jim Mock Motorsports LMAO... ahh Gianz, heres an idea, you go see JMM and get your free kw's and let the rest of us go to reputable workshops and get some real work done
Id have to agree, very rude in answering my questions about their parts.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #13
stiddy
Banned

FS5, the BBM's on these engines make well over 300rwkw in a forced fed application, I dont see how they can be a restriction n/a. I could be wrong, but I just dont see them being a restriction.
I think the restriction is lack of compression, head and a small cam..
Old 22-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
Id have to agree, very rude in answering my questions about their parts.
You should ask them about the 25rwkw Free Voucher you get when you get a dev5 cam.. :Up_to_som
Old 22-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Guys please dont fight or poke fun at particular people or businesess.Its not good. Hot xr6 thanks mate. This is what I am chasing..some real verifiable statistics from head porting. I have information in front of me which expalains head porting on a few heads .An example is a 2 litre sohc pinto engine. They show a 25% increase in horsepower at the wheels. A kent crossflow head..up to 30% increase.

If these results are true then why the heck am I yet to see on this forum one person who has done the head up and gained substantial better 1/4 mile times or substantial increase in power on independant dynos ? Without having a dig at anyone why hasnt anyone done it? Including the e series owners? The ba's are achieving 168rwkws na on the same dyno I get 131? Same capacity but more power.Sure they have a dohc but it does show what real potential that these sohc motors have.

Old 22-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #16
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Guys please dont fight or poke fun at particular people or businesess.Its not good. Hot xr6 thanks mate. This is what I am chasing..some real verifiable statistics from head porting. I have information in front of me which expalains head porting on a few heads .An example is a 2 litre sohc pinto engine. They show a 25% increase in horsepower at the wheels. A kent crossflow head..up to 30% increase.

If these results are true then why the heck am I yet to see on this forum one person who has done the head up and gained substantial better 1/4 mile times or substantial increase in power on independant dynos ? Without having a dig at anyone why hasnt anyone done it? Including the e series owners? The ba's are achieving 168rwkws na on the same dyno I get 131? Same capacity but more power.Sure they have a dohc but it does show what real potential that these sohc motors have.
Same capacity but have you seen the heads up close and stripped? When you look down the intake port in the ba6 head you can almost see all of the intake valve's so the air basically falls in and falls out, it doesnt have to turn much which will cause turbulance. With the pointed guide idea what i was getting at is like the nissans and all new designed heads, they are basically tappered and will be less of a restriction also having the slightly backcut will help on the intake valve aswell. Im not saying these tappered guides will give you 10kw but im just saying the more little things you do to help it will all add up in the end. The bigger port is not always the better port, not even in a turbo, ezy10's crossflow was an unported head he lost power and times with a portjob.

Shaun.

Old 22-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #17
Gianz

all im saying is that jmm has definately done his homework to an extent and has, in some cases the figures to prove it. If anyone knows a ford performance shop that has spent as much r&d time as jmm and also has ported heads to suit our i6's please let us know before i get one. i spent many years as a race tunner working on moto gp bikes and i can sure tell the difference between good and bad port jobs. in many cases extensive porting radically changes the characteristics of an engine, especially in power delivery, when what we all want is smooooth clean power, so often as mentioned its just a matter of cleaning up what the original castings have left behind.
Old 22-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

Ok so whos got the results on this forum from head porting? 2 cases that I have heard of proffessionally done made no real difference on the dyno or the track.

Old 22-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
Can i ask a few questions so we can get an idea for what gains you'll be getting from the head work. What engine do you have mate? What have you done to it? What are you going to have done to it for the head work? What power are you putting out now? Please be specific.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #20
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Ok so whos got the results on this forum from head porting? 2 cases that I have heard of proffessionally done made no real difference on the dyno or the track.
i know of another 2 that have hybrid E'series engines that use AU heads that spent alot of money on porting for next to nothing gains in the real world

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont think huge gains are possible na, because the variable intake runners and long bendy air intake and variable runners, take the edge off extra efficiancey of head work,etc, too many angles slow down air speed, ........would love too see individual throttle bodies velocity stacks, big cam and after market ecu or flash tuned if possible, no proof just my theory
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #22
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i was talking to jmm about there heads he told me i would gain around 10rwk for the streetfighter and 14rwk for race spec .
i decided to get mine professionaly done by headsense ,along with the 3 angle valve cut.like i said i lost a couple of kw,but in all fairness the head i pulled off our series 2 was different to the series 1 i had ported.
i've been talking to some speed way guys and they seem to think you can go to big with your porting (going to big on the exhaust side)and kill performance .from what i understand airspeed was more important than the flow rate????
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 07:34 AM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
FS5, the BBM's on these engines make well over 300rwkw in a forced fed application, I dont see how they can be a restriction n/a. I could be wrong, but I just dont see them being a restriction.
I think the restriction is lack of compression, head and a small cam..
I know someone who has ditched the BBM for the older log-style manifold (which has beem ported/extrude honed to suit his head .... I don't have exact spec on what was done to the head though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #24
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
when i was talking to jmm about there heads he told me i would gain around 10rwk for the streetfighter and 14rwk for race spec .
i decided to get mine professionaly done by headsense ,along with the 3 angle valve cut.like i said i lost a couple of kw,but in all fairness the head i pulled off our series 2 was different to the series 1 i had ported.
i've been talking to some speed way guys and they seem to think you can go to big with your porting (going to big on the exhaust side)and kill performance .from what i understand airspeed was more important than the flow rate????
I believe the Mocks have got the EF series head and cam package flow maximised to perfection and those sort of gains of UP TO 10-15rwkw are possible.

I also believe the head cam flow and packages they developed around the E series didn't work as well on the small port AU heads like the AUII heads we have. I regret not getting Brenden to port my head as it would have cost no more money only time and the falcon six experience is worth paying for in headwork. This said I doubt there is much more than 5rwkw gain in an AUII head.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #25
Gianz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
Can i ask a few questions so we can get an idea for what gains you'll be getting from the head work. What engine do you have mate? What have you done to it? What are you going to have done to it for the head work? What power are you putting out now? Please be specific.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah No problems,

I've got a series II VCT Engine.
Currently fitted with:
Complete HMS exhaust system.
large tickford air intake snorkle with pod filter in air box followed by a 3 inch intake.
autolite spark plugs + spiral leads (made a noticable difference)
unichip ecu (soon to be changed)
Current power output is 135 kW @ rears (somehow lost power after unichip??)

So what do i want to accomplish.
cc and polish every chamber and bump up compression via jmm multi layer head gasket.
Port and polish where needed, only to remove casting imperfections and insert stainless steel valves.
Camshaft would be good but i have not heard of anything amazing for the vct engine.

Aim is to hopefully reach the 180+ rw kW of good smooth power.

So basically i want what everyone else wants.....MO POWER! without taking away the awesome characteristics and sounds of a VCT i6. :hihi:

any suggestions?
Old 23-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #26
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i dont think huge gains are possible na, because the variable intake runners and long bendy air intake and variable runners, take the edge off extra efficiancey of head work,etc, too many angles slow down air speed, ........would love too see individual throttle bodies velocity stacks, big cam and after market ecu or flash tuned if possible, no proof just my theory
This is real world here. The Falcon six is a long stroke tractor engine with all the wrong bore stroke ratios to rev and get good flow from a head limited by the width of the bore and the short height of the head and the 90 degree turns of the inlet and exhaust.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #27
Sapper
Back to the AU

Hmmm, started doing a bit of research on engine theory and i think that the engine internals need to be balanced with the head work. Here's a section of text from wikicars thats a simple explanation of this.
Quote:
One important factor in engine design is the rod/stroke ratio. Rod/stroke ratio is the ratio of the length of the connecting rod to the length of the crankshaft's stroke. An increase in the rod/stroke ratio (a longer rod, shorter stroke, or both,) results in a decrease in piston speed. However, again due to strength and size concerns, there is a limit to how long a rod can be in relation to the stroke. A longer rod (and consequently, higher rod/stroke ratio,) can potentially create more power, due to the fact that with a longer connecting rod, more force from the piston is delivered tangentially to the crankshafts rotation, delivering more torque. A shorter rod/stroke ratio creates higher piston speeds, but this can be beneficial depending on other engine characteristics. Increased piston speeds can create tumble or swirl within the cylinder and reduce detonation. Increased piston speeds can also draw fuel/air mix into the cylinder more quickly through a larger intake runner, promoting good cylinder filling.

An engine where the bore dimension is larger than the stroke is commonly known as an oversquare engine, and such engines have the ability to attain higher RPM. Conversely, an engine with a bore that is smaller than its stroke is an undersquare engine. Respectively, it cannot attain as many RPM, but is liable to make more torque at lower RPM. In addition, an engine with a bore and stroke that are the same is referred to as a square engine.
Question is, which way to go? Do we accept the fact that getting air into the chamber is always going to be tough and make the most of what there is or do we go after getting as much air into the chamber as possible?
Old 23-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #28
Gianz

Knowing all this, we should be very greatful that there are people out there making some attempt to find whats the best combination of porting / headwork, cams ect for these so called "tractor engines". The real question is...who has worked it out with real figures to prove it? and of course who is the best man for the job?
Old 23-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #29
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Knowing all this, we should be very greatful that there are people out there making some attempt to find whats the best combination of porting / headwork, cams ect for these so called "tractor engines". The real question is...who has worked it out with real figures to prove it? and of course who is the best man for the job?
One company that comes to mind, when heads and porting is being talked about is these guys...

http://www.trickandmanswetoracing.com.au/
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #30
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

From what I have heard from a few places ... Trick and Mansweto crate engines in ... and that's it ... no R&D over here. All they do is get an engine from US normally and bolt it in .... that's all.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote