Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Unhappy Demo video - Pajero vs Civic side on accident

http://media.putfile.com/CrashTest23

A civic is hit side on at 100km/h by a Pajero..

Pretty bad to watch this even though its just a demo with crash dummies. Kind of makes you realise how 4WD can tear a part smaller cars.. :

BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

disturbing
Old 26-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Valknutr

ok holy hell!!!! All the dummys lost their heads!!!
Sorry but this is why i really loath any 4x4 on the public roads, fine if they are out in the country and actually have a use but cowboys who only buy them to drive around cities well yeah...
Even if they use the 4x4 a few times a year it still doesnt wash with me at all, they are a pet hate
Old 26-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Agreed. Thats absolutely shocking. What's equally disturbing is the number of inexperienced people driving them to pick the kids up from school, or drive to the shops. The whole premise of bigger is better in these circumstances is so wrong. This is the one point that I agree with Harold Screwball.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how bad these things are in car parks, with kids in the back who open doors up into your pride and joy and dent them. I chased someone for this when I saw it happen and when the police finally arrived, they were forced to pay for my repairs. I can safely guarantee that she will now be telling her kids to be careful when they open the doors.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
slipper

The driver of almost any car that gets struck on the drivers side by another travelling at 100km/h will be in big trouble. In fact, if you were to replace the Pajero with another Civic, I would still bet the "slow" Honda driver would be pushing up daisies. Hell, I have seen pictures of motorcyclists T-boning cars in the driver's door and the car driver being killed.

Don't get me wrong, I hate urban 4WDs as well. But this is nothing more than sensationalist crap.
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
xf_vanner

that video was disturbing. I agree about 4wds and the risk they can have on our roads but imagine what the impact would've been had the honda been hit at the b-pillar as the guy said probably wouldnt b so damaged.
xf_vanner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper
The driver of almost any car that gets struck on the drivers side by another travelling at 100km/h will be in big trouble. In fact, if you were to replace the Pajero with another Civic, I would still bet the "slow" Honda driver would be pushing up daisies. Hell, I have seen pictures of motorcyclists T-boning cars in the driver's door and the car driver being killed.

Don't get me wrong, I hate urban 4WDs as well. But this is nothing more than sensationalist crap.
I agree. Any vehicle (I mean any) hitting a civic at 100kph like that would have killed everyone in it. Fact is that anything above 50kph impacting you like that is considered highly likely to kill you.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I agree with everyone, and I personally hate 4WD, But if hit someone at 100kph (60MPH) i'd some serious damge to their car as well.
You hit a concrete piller at 70kph and your in deep trouble.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 10:04 PM   #9
Transit Truck

Can't wait till I get the landcruiser with a bull bar in the front.... I am invinsible :nutsycuck
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 10:09 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man that was insane. Compact car anyone?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Anyone else really impressed with the way those cars are accelerated by the winch system????
Old 26-10-2005, 10:43 PM   #12
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Not always. A motorcycle certainly has a small centre of mass and as such will apply its forces on a small portion of a car that it T-Bones. Essentially meaing that if the bike his centre on of the door, it most probably will go through and kill the vehicle driver. But if the bike hits the centre point where the B pillar Runs, the car will sustain little Damage.

The Difference for a car to a Bike is the car will focus its force over a larger area. So it wont concentrate on the door or the pillar but all round. Again, comparing to a 4wd which is higher, the car will do less damage.

I have been i n a T-Bone accident where i was T-Boned by a Car travelling a just over 50km/h. Enough damage was sustained so as to right my car off, but the other persons car's airbags didnt go off (it was a Commodore, maybe it didnt work? : ). The hit was centred on the passengers side door. Lower COG and Spread of damage Area meant that the total damage was limited. Only reason my car was a right off was because it was an EA and the repair costs were to much.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what happens when a bike T-Bones a car....At an estimated 250kmh

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 11:00 PM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Not always. A motorcycle certainly has a small centre of mass and as such will apply its forces on a small portion of a car that it T-Bones. Essentially meaing that if the bike his centre on of the door, it most probably will go through and kill the vehicle driver. But if the bike hits the centre point where the B pillar Runs, the car will sustain little Damage.

The Difference for a car to a Bike is the car will focus its force over a larger area. So it wont concentrate on the door or the pillar but all round. Again, comparing to a 4wd which is higher, the car will do less damage.

I have been i n a T-Bone accident where i was T-Boned by a Car travelling a just over 50km/h. Enough damage was sustained so as to right my car off, but the other persons car's airbags didnt go off (it was a Commodore, maybe it didnt work? : ). The hit was centred on the passengers side door. Lower COG and Spread of damage Area meant that the total damage was limited. Only reason my car was a right off was because it was an EA and the repair costs were to much.
He clearly said another car hitting a car at speed would do the damange, no one mentioned motorbikes.

The results weren't really surprising at all. Especially when you consider that the Civic is a cheaply done monocoque and the Pajero is a full-frame chassis. In an impact like that, full frame >>>>>>>>> monocoque (aka. unibody). Though, its worth pointing out, full frame's are equally poor at handling side-on impacts like that.

The fact that cars are mandated to be safe to a 64.4km/h (40mph) limit according to testing regulations isn't too re-assuring. Simply going, say, 67km/h, puts all those saftey features designed for the 64.4km/h speed into irrelevance. Most people gravely underestimate the amount of kinetic energy a 1200-1700kg (most of today's road cars) object carries at those speeds, and how much just 1km/h can add.

Accidents like that are extremley dangerous, and I hope no one ever has to be faced with one, the results can be worse then catastrophic.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
Blue Thunder 2

Man, put a shiver up my spine.
Blue Thunder 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 11:06 PM   #16
Leah
www.madel.com.au

OMG! That made me feel sick! Its scary to think of the amount of damage the 4x4 caused! Scary to think how many crazy school mums are driving 4x4's!!!
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 01:30 AM   #17
Franky
Bring back the Phase

am I the only who who thought it was cool?

In real life though.... different story
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 02:01 AM   #18
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I wonder what a "Landwind" vs civic video would look like :P

I'll bet the civic comes out in better nick ;)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 02:30 AM   #19
Danny
GT4.

Cool, but scary. Imagine real life having to scoop out the driver from the civic.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 03:37 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would have been interesting to see the honda civic hitting the four wheel drive in the side at 100ks, .....lets face it small cars are economical coffins really, ban the small car not the 4wd.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 04:33 AM   #21
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
it would have been interesting to see the honda civic hitting the four wheel drive in the side at 100ks, .....lets face it small cars are economical coffins really, ban the small car not the 4wd.
Well, the Pajero uses the old full-frame chassis. The weakest point in the vehicle's structure is the side of the passenger compartment, in the centre. Slam the Civic into its side at 100km/h and the people sitting both cars will die, and the Pajero will most likely roll.

100km/h > any regular road car's saftey system in a direct impact.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #22
fast66

my work computer wont let me see these videos, so i can't tell which model Pajero it is, but the current model Pajeor is not full chassis, is a monocoquoe, just like our Territory, and weighs the same.

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Deskt...ias=carpointau
Lets not get on the anti 4WD bandwagon, as people like "Harold Screwball" will be on our case next regarding high powered cars, or the green push hybrid cars etc. Theres always going to be a group that doesn't like something, and the media loves to jump on board with sensationalized garbage.
fast66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #23
slipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
I said that a bike hitting the drivers door would be bad news for the car driver. I said nothing about hitting the B pillar.

As for the bike causing little damage if it did hit the pillar, I think that is a little optimistic. The combined weights of bike and rider (say 220kg for a big bike, 80kg for rider, 300kg total) travelling at 100km/h would certainly cause lots of damage to the car no matter where it hit.
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast66
my work computer wont let me see these videos, so i can't tell which model Pajero it is, but the current model Pajeor is not full chassis, is a monocoquoe, just like our Territory, and weighs the same.

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Deskt...ias=carpointau
Lets not get on the anti 4WD bandwagon, as people like "Harold Screwball" will be on our case next regarding high powered cars, or the green push hybrid cars etc. Theres always going to be a group that doesn't like something, and the media loves to jump on board with sensationalized garbage.
It was an old one, 80s model.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 09:47 PM   #25
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
I said that a bike hitting the drivers door would be bad news for the car driver. I said nothing about hitting the B pillar.

As for the bike causing little damage if it did hit the pillar, I think that is a little optimistic. The combined weights of bike and rider (say 220kg for a big bike, 80kg for rider, 300kg total) travelling at 100km/h would certainly cause lots of damage to the car no matter where it hit.
Not always.

The point where a pillar connects to the Rest of the Body is an area of high strength. It certainly would cause probably significant damage. 300kg total coming to a stop isnt anywhere near as bad as 2000kg coming to a stop.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 10:40 PM   #26
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Anyone else really impressed with the way those cars are accelerated by the winch system????
hell yes! I'm guessing they're electric, anyone know?

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 10:48 PM   #27
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath_48
hell yes! I'm guessing they're electric, anyone know?

-Stu
I pretty sure a tow truck or something with the other end of the cable tied to it drives up to a certain speed whilst the cables do their work etc... saw something similar on the discovery channel or something a few days ago where they used that system.
Old 27-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #28
VilkasBAMIIXR6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
http://media.putfile.com/CrashTest23

A civic is hit side on at 100km/h by a Pajero..

Pretty bad to watch this even though its just a demo with crash dummies. Kind of makes you realise how 4WD can tear a part smaller cars.. :
Been to a few fatals, none yet with a 4wd. A recipe for disaster. Shocking video. Everytime I sit behind a 4wd I look for signs of off road use, few and far between..... Maybe the next trend for families after 4wd will be b doubles.
VilkasBAMIIXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 10:51 PM   #29
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't laugh.... the 8 seat people-movers are making a comeback.....
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #30
VilkasBAMIIXR6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
Don't laugh.... the 8 seat people-movers are making a comeback.....
God, I remember my mothers Nisan Prarie. What a joke, went to Perth and back with trailer, 6 people!!
VilkasBAMIIXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post