Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 29-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
jaym
I Wish I Was A Post Whore

Default Eb-ed

hi guys
sorry i know sounds dumb but im new to the e-series, just wondering if you could tell me the difference bettwen EB and ED motors? and would it be worth putting an ED motor in my EB??

Cheer

XR8 On 20s W00T W00T
www.aufalcon.com/jaysxr8
jaym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

its the same motor
Old 29-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

EB engines,

120 kW @ 4,250 rpm (3.9 CFI)
139 kW @ 4,250 rpm (3.9 MPI)
148 kW @ 4,500 rpm (4.0 MPI)

ED engine
148 kW @ 4,500 rpm (4.0 MPI)

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
jaym

Thanks fairlane thats what i was looking for i should of said that my motor is 3.9 CFI
Would be easy to put the ED motor in mine??

XR8 On 20s W00T W00T
www.aufalcon.com/jaysxr8
Old 29-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

The engine itself will bolt in fine... its the looms and ECU thats the biggest problem.
I would say that if you are contemplating an engine swap, you may as well go all out and fit an AU engine. More power, and more likely to find a good condition low k engine.

They bolt in with a slight modification to the sump... but then you are still left with the looms and ECU to sort out. Still, many people on this forum have completed the conversion, so there is a wealth of knowledge out there.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
jaym

i just brought this car for a work car it has high k's and the haed gasket has gone i can get an ED motor cheap with low k's so im realy just looking for a cheap quick fix. i remember a while ago there was a step by step thread on how to put MPI on to a CPI motor, i dont like the CPI so i thought the ed motor would be the go.

XR8 On 20s W00T W00T
www.aufalcon.com/jaysxr8
Old 29-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
jaym

from what i can gather i can still use my standerd ECU with a few mods

Found this on another site:
First things first, let's look at the wiring. If you're lucky, you have a manual or 3-speed and your job is easy. If you have a 4-speed it's a bit harder.

The first bit of wiring, common to both, is to cut the grey/white wire about an inch away from the idle motor plug. Extend it up to the computer loom part of the main loom plug, cut to length and add the pin on the end. Then put it into the plug so that it corresponds with the grey/white wire on the MPFI loom. While you're messing about in the plug, make sure all the other wires correspond correctly.

Then, ONLY if you have a 4-speed, peel about 1/2 an inch of insulation - without cutting the wires! - off the three TPS wires in the manifold loom, a few inches before the main loom plug. These wires are green/black, black/white, and orange/black.

Cut the *gearbox* TPS plug off the old CFI manifold loom, leaving as much wire on the plug as possible. Now wire it up to the stripped wires. It should have a black, a green, and an orange wire. These correspond to the TPS wire colours.

If i do this i should be able to drop the 4lt in right..?

XR8 On 20s W00T W00T
www.aufalcon.com/jaysxr8
Old 29-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
sam12h
Runnin C3H8 & C4H10

Wouldn't it be simplest & cheapest to bolt the CFI stuff to the ED block/heads? Not the best performer (no worse than a 3.9cfi), but certainly easier. You can always upgrade to MPFI later (hopefully with an EF-AU dual length manifold).
sam12h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post