Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
lubeit
Starter Motor

Default I've joined the club!

After quite a bit of looking around, I finally got myself an AU. It’s a series 1 Futura Wagon in black. I’ve been sorting out a few minor maintenance issues. So far I’ve replaced the power antenna mast, changed engine oil and filter, air filter and diff oil. It didn’t really have much of a service history so I’m going over the whole thing to get it sorted.

I have a few questions which I’m hoping someone might be able to help with:

Can anyone recommend a reputable Auto Transmission Workshop on the northside of Brisbane to carry out a service on my auto trans and an approximate cost?

Are there any recommended wreckers around Brisbane for AU parts?

The car has a factory fitted double din stereo with tape deck and CD stacker control. Are brand new stackers available to suit? I don’t think I would want a second hand stacker unless it had some sort of warranty. Otherwise I may just fit an aftermarket single din cd player…I assume in that case I’d lose the steering wheel remote functions and power antenna functions?

I have to refit the seatbelt trim panels on the drivers side. The seatbelts are held down with some big 6 point torx bolts. Does anyone know where I can buy big torx drivers to suit? I believe the steering wheel is also retained with a big torx fastener. If there is a lot of Torx fasteners around the car maybe it would be good to get a set?

Thanks for any assistance.

lubeit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeit
Otherwise I may just fit an aftermarket single din cd player…I assume in that case I’d lose the steering wheel remote functions and power antenna functions?
You can get aftermarket "boxes" which go between your wheel controls & aftermarket head unit and they give you the control of the stereo through the buttons.

As for power antenna, I've read on here that some units will operate it, while others won't.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeit
After quite a bit of looking around, I finally got myself an AU. It’s a series 1 Futura Wagon in black. I’ve been sorting out a few minor maintenance issues. So far I’ve replaced the power antenna mast, changed engine oil and filter, air filter and diff oil. It didn’t really have much of a service history so I’m going over the whole thing to get it sorted.

I have a few questions which I’m hoping someone might be able to help with:

Can anyone recommend a reputable Auto Transmission Workshop on the northside of Brisbane to carry out a service on my auto trans and an approximate cost?

Are there any recommended wreckers around Brisbane for AU parts?

The car has a factory fitted double din stereo with tape deck and CD stacker control. Are brand new stackers available to suit? I don’t think I would want a second hand stacker unless it had some sort of warranty. Otherwise I may just fit an aftermarket single din cd player…I assume in that case I’d lose the steering wheel remote functions and power antenna functions?

I have to refit the seatbelt trim panels on the drivers side. The seatbelts are held down with some big 6 point torx bolts. Does anyone know where I can buy big torx drivers to suit? I believe the steering wheel is also retained with a big torx fastener. If there is a lot of Torx fasteners around the car maybe it would be good to get a set?

Thanks for any assistance.
Welcome to the forums and congrats on a nice choice. AU1's arent exactly the most "revered" AU model but they are by no means a bad car.

Re the stacker, you will be hard pressed to find a stacker that will be compatible with the headunit now, matter of fact I still havent found one, your best bet would be to either get a hold of a factory double DIN in dash CD stacker (they do come up for sale, but as anybody will tell you, they are notorious for dying in a very inconvenient way), or go with an aftermarket single DIN unit and run a stacker from it. Alpine and Pioneer do make indash double DIN stackers though, so it depends mainly on how much you want to pay, and what features you want.

Re the steering wheel controls, if youre going to stick with a factory unit you wont have a problem unless you put an AU2 unit into an AU1 (I think this is right, someone else can confirm, pretty sure there is a wiring issue), but if you do go aftermarket, you'll need whats called a CAT09 adaptor to make them work. It basically converts the signal from the wheel controls to one that the stereo can read, however you will need to make sure the CD player you buy comes with a remote control to use a CAT adaptor. The adaptors themselves go for about $180.

Pioneer headunits are the ones that cant control the factory aerial but it can be fixed by wiring in a switch to control the aerial yourself.

Personally my choice would be to turf the factory setup, put in a nice aftermarket unit, and run a stacker from there, or even an iPod if you have one, up to you.
Old 16-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Welcome

You can get aftermarket "boxes" which go between your wheel controls & aftermarket head unit and they give you the control of the stereo through the buttons.

As for power antenna, I've read on here that some units will operate it, while others won't.
this unit is called the cat and works well with my kenwood note! the HU must have infra red remote facility
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cheers for that au3xr6, I'll have to keep that in mind when I've got the dollars to go buy my aftermarket unit - must have remote control...
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
lubeit
Starter Motor

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses.
lubeit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Brisbane ghia

I get my transmision fully serviced at direct drive '17 mile rocks' cost me $180, i know its western suburbs but gives you an idae on costs.
Brisbane ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post