Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
sly
Sly like a G6

Default Anyone with a Supra gearbox?

To keep out of GK's T5 thread, I'll restart this here.

I see manual conversions are almost entirely T5's here... has anyone done a Supra 'box conversion? I haven't looked them up for about 4 years, but back then they were going into V8's, I assume they'd be strong enough for an I6, either NA or force fed? And the shift quality would p155 all over the T5?

The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If it's any help I had one behind a Fuel Injected '78 V12 Jag. Worked really well.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
To keep out of GK's T5 thread, I'll restart this here.

I see manual conversions are almost entirely T5's here... has anyone done a Supra 'box conversion? I haven't looked them up for about 4 years, but back then they were going into V8's, I assume they'd be strong enough for an I6, either NA or force fed? And the shift quality would p155 all over the T5?
The reason people doing manual conversions are using T5's is not to do with strength of the box. This was a factory fitted item, they are the cheapest and easiest option. As far as strwngth goes, I don't think they can be compaired, the supra guys putting out unusable power aren't "upgrading" their supra boxes with T5's.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
odysseyesm
I dunno, it looks right..

Castlemaine Rod Shop or Dellows will have kits to do a conversion for Supra gearboxes, make sure you get the Turbo version with the steel section in the housing where the shifter is. If it hasn't got this steel bit I'm pretty sure it's NON-Turbo.

I put one on the back of a 302W in my Shelby replica, Dellow usea Toyota clutch pack and CRS have a Holden 1 tonner clutch pack from memory. I got mine about 10yrs ago though so they may have changed?

As for the tie-up to the factory Ford wiring loom I reckon that's up to you to work out unless there's someone here who can help?
odysseyesm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
The reason people doing manual conversions are using T5's is not to do with strength of the box. This was a factory fitted item, they are the cheapest and easiest option. As far as strwngth goes, I don't think they can be compaired, the supra guys putting out unusable power aren't "upgrading" their supra boxes with T5's.
And y would they the T5 isn't that good and there not that cheap to buy or rebilud. I think the supra box would be a lot stronger and would be much more suited the power outputs the I6's and V8's have.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
Abacus
Life's a Gas

How do you sort out the speedo gear?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseyesm
Castlemaine Rod Shop or Dellows will have kits to do a conversion for Supra gearboxes, make sure you get the Turbo version with the steel section in the housing where the shifter is. If it hasn't got this steel bit I'm pretty sure it's NON-Turbo.
AFAIK Mal Wood would do complete kits too? I'm thinking the R154 'box would be a good match with the 3.23 diff in the wagon.

Do Mal Wood normally answer email enquiries, or do I have to bend someone's ear on the phone?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

^^^ Would you believe they replied within minutes of me posting this... who here is the Mal Wood mole LOL?

BTW they recommended the T56... $$$ouch!

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
If it's any help I had one behind a Fuel Injected '78 V12 Jag. Worked really well.
DO tell , photo's ? as I am thinkging of something similar .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
Boosh Brus

I got a supra box running behind a 351. Works well
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
odysseyesm
I dunno, it looks right..

Default Supra Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
How do you sort out the speedo gear?
Oh yeh, 4got about that...
The kit I got from Dellows had a speedo cable with it, depending on the type of gauges your running you have to adjust the signal/speed at the the instrument end (I think?).

I'm sure someone here would be able to point you in the right direction?

Tailshaft wise I used the Supra uni and spline and had it mated up to a Jaguar IRS diff & uni using a section of XD Ford (maybe not XD but def Ford of some type) tailshaft as the O.D. AND wall thickness was a good match-up.
I had Truckline spares in Adelaide do the welding and balancing as they were by far the cheapest. From memory it was about 50% less than all the Auto performance shops and I'm sure all they do is to send it off toTruckline anyway.

To get the length of tailshaft bolt-up the diff plate & uni and put the Supra spline onto the output shaft of the G'box, then measure the maximum distance between the mating flanges where the tailshaft will go.

NOTE: You have to make sure there is some "front to rear" float on the gearbox spline so that it doesn't bind up when the suspension goes through it's travel as the tailshaft slides forward and back the engine also moves on it's mounts. It's not much but it will bind up and stuff things up. I think I had about 15mm float but then the tailshaft was only 1 pce & 50cm along with an IRS diff. A live axle and a longer tailshaft may need more. Best to give the tailshaft guy the maximum dimension and tell him what sort of set-up you have and they'll sort it 4 you.

DON'T D.I.Y. THE WELDING OR GET A MATE TO DO IT FOR YOU : :togo: , UNLESS THEY ARE QUALIFIED TO DO THAT SORT OF WORK. IF THE WELDS FAIL OR THE TAILSHAFT IS OUT OF BALANCE IT WILL FAIL AND WILL DO SERIOUS DAMAGE, THINK ABOUT IT...

It only cost me about $150 + parts from a wrecker, so do it properly.

I just remembered; try and get the factory rear rubber G'box mount when you find a box, then you just have to make up a bracket from it to the chassis, also try and leave all the weird metal weights attached as they reduce vibration.

I'll dig around over the weekend and see if I can find some piccy's of the finished job.
odysseyesm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
DO tell , photo's ? as I am thinkging of something similar .
Photo's?? Oh Sheet, that was a long time ago, I may have a couple of interior shots. Any good?

I did'nt do the job but it was a Dellows kit that was used.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
^^^ Would you believe they replied within minutes of me posting this... who here is the Mal Wood mole LOL?

BTW they recommended the T56... $$$ouch!
6speedXR8 is, he IS Mal Wood.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post