Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
LukeyBAXR6
BA XR6

Default Attempting to Lower car

Well, yestaday me and my brother were trying to lower my car. I've got King springs Low rears and super lows fronts.

We got the back left hand side in no worries, but when it came to the back right hand side is when we got stuck. There was no where for the spring to be dis-attached, as it was basically blocked around it and no where easy for the spring to come out.

Was VERY annoying, I'm really not sure what to do from here, I'm contemplating taking my other three springs to somewhere like Pedders and getting them to put'em in for me.

What do you's think? :

Old 16-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you should take it to pedders if your not sure. I usually lower my own cars but am getting lazy. It only cost me $150 and 45 minutes to get my EF lowered two years back.

My brother in law had an interesting experience with spring compressors lately. He was at work lowering a car. He stupidly knocked the compressor around with a hammer. The compressor came off under huge pressure breaking his nose and smashing his teeth. Not a good look.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
LukeyBAXR6
BA XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
I think you should take it to pedders if your not sure. I usually lower my own cars but am getting lazy. It only cost me $150 and 45 minutes to get my EF lowered two years back.

My brother in law had an interesting experience with spring compressors lately. He was at work lowering a car. He stupidly knocked the compressor around with a hammer. The compressor came off under huge pressure breaking his nose and smashing his teeth. Not a good look.
Mmm.. that's certainly looking like what i'll do. Hopefully i can get up early and book it in for tommorow sometime.

Sorry to hear about your brother.. ouch that's gotta hurt!
Old 16-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luke, its pretty straight foreward. You have to remove the shocker completely from the car, undo the top mount, its hidden behind the plastic behind the seat. Undo the bottom bolt and pull the shocker through the bottom spring seat, then the diff can be levered down enough to pop the spring out. assembly is the reverse of removal. Make sure both lower shock bolts are TIGHT or you will get a knock noise in the rear of the car. Nip them up properly with the weight of the car on the wheels.
Also, you shouldn't need compressors on the rear springs, but the front standard springs will need to be compressed to remove them from the shocks.

Darin.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
woodsy109

Don't give up so easily man.

It really isn't that hard. Follow what Darin said, it was exactly the same for my car.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
LukeyBAXR6
BA XR6

Thanks for that Darin mate, we really went about it the wrong way.. because my brother is a holden man.. he's not really all that experienced with Fords (HE MUST DIE )

After we attempted it with the second spring and it didn't work it was quite late at night, had spent a LONG time getting it out. I figured it's proabably just easier to get Pedders or someone to do the spring when the do the fronts anyway.

Thanks heaps for your help again guys.
Old 16-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
gngtho
Banned

Dont give up if you need help just holler your in adelaide so am i, ive raised and lowerd my ed about three times since the E-Series cruise just gone, and all in the matter of 30 mins. If you need the help pm me, we can organise something.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

hey there are heeps of people willing to help and its realy easy, iv done my car 4 times now,
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
Luke, its pretty straight foreward. You have to remove the shocker completely from the car
When I changed my rear SL springs to SSL the other week we got away with leaving the shocks in place. Just unbolted the bottom shock bolts and dropped the diff. Took about 20 minutes, once the car was jacked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.

Last edited by Kenaz; 17-07-2006 at 10:13 AM. Reason: used the wrong word
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Kenaz, with SLs in the car it'd be easier. But the easiest way to pull out a standard spring is with the shock removed.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

lol you left the shocks in? Good work. It takes about two minutes more to just remove them... saves alot of rooting around.

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #12
LukeyBAXR6
BA XR6

eb91xr6 is going to help me tommorow, gnghto was also offering! What a great bunch we have here on AFF!

Thanks everyone
Old 17-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
The compressor came off under huge pressure breaking his nose and smashing his teeth. Not a good look.
He he.. not a good sight... exactly what happend to me.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #14
Damo
Banned

and that is why I don't use spring compressors, they are just not necessary unless you are compressing springs onto shortened struts, that is the only time you should ever need them. I'd much rather pop a tiny nut off into a blanket then cop a spring compressor to the face.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post