Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Alcopop tax killed in the senate.

A blow to the Labor government, Senator Steve Fielding sided with the Opposition to oppose the bill. The Fed government is now forced to hand back $300million to RTD companies, and is set to lose $1.6 billion in revenue.

I believe the alcopop tax was nothing more than a tax grab, and would have had no effect on alcohol consumption. Australian has a booze culture, it wouldn't matter how high the price of alcohol was the consumption will remain.

What are your thoughts?

Old 18-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
rodderz

I'll drink to that!
Old 18-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm looking forward to cheaper JB & Coke premixed while watching my favourite DJR cars racing around

Thank you Mr Fielding!!!
Old 18-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I'll drink to that!
Old 18-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
n1ck

hell yea cant wait to go get some more cheap jd to refill my jd fridge
its only had coke in it for the last few months ):
Old 18-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

This is good news being a non beer drinker.

And I agree about it not having an affect on drinking. Everyone I know were still drinking but just ended up with less money at the end of the night.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I think I will send Senator Fielding a case of Bundy & Cola! What a deadset legend this bloke is for finally showing an Iron fist without the velvet glove and giving Krudd and his Health minister Nicola Roxon a taste of the canvas and sending them back to the drawing board!!
Old 18-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
A blow to the Labor government, Senator Steve Fielding sided with the Opposition to oppose the bill. The Fed government is now forced to hand back $300million to RTD companies, and is set to lose $1.6 billion in revenue.

I believe the alcopop tax was nothing more than a tax grab, and would have had no effect on alcohol consumption. Australian has a booze culture, it wouldn't matter how high the price of alcohol was the consumption will remain.

What are your thoughts?

You are spot on ... it was a blatant tax grab by a fiscally inept federal government bereft of any intellegent ideas.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
bob^
LPS

And now a win for the RTD companies who pocket an extra $300million from sales in the last few months.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

The system works!!!!!!

It was a stupid tax to begin with. All it did was make me buy more beer or spirits over pre-mixed.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
F6T
Has V8 envy

I read that sales of bottles of spirits had increased indicating that the bottles were being purchased and THEN mixed often to a level far higher than the premixed alcohol level. meaning that they were getting even more ****ed for less!!! so much for that idea.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
Old 18-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yay, everyone will be happy at school tomorrow haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by madxh96
I read that sales of bottles of spirits had increased indicating that the bottles were being purchased and THEN mixed often to a level far higher than the premixed alcohol level. meaning that they were getting even more ****ed for less!!! so much for that idea.
I rarely drink beer and I can tell you now that was 250% the case with me and all of my mates etc; might not go back in fact...

the damage has been done haha

It was such a stupidly blatant tax grab that backfired in the end; but who didn't see that coming from the day it was proposed.. oh thats right.. THEY didn't! :
Old 18-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #14
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Bitchin I didn't keep all my reciepts, I'd love to add them to my tax refund in July
Old 19-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Blatant tax grab using the (youth) binge drinking culture as an excuse....

As far as i could see the same amount of p*** heads where still getting wasted, tax or no tax....

According to SBS (09:30pm) the Rudites are not going to hand the $300m already collected back to the Alcopop companies without a fight, instead they want to direct the funds into fighting Australias drinking problems..... _2:

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 19-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

about bloody time. lumping "alcopops" into a purely teen subculture. I was very very sick of mixing my own, or drinking only beer. a slab of JDs for 100 bucks is ridiculous. Rudd you are a wierd one, i both love and hate ya. Thanks for the 950, no thanks to that silly alcohol tax! at least you like the strippers.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 19-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #17
DaveGod
Your not Ron

I dont know why the money would even go back to the RTD companies? I mean it was the consumer that paid the increase (the TAX) not the company, the RTD companys would be getting free money???

And yes everyone i know including myself who used to drink RTDs before the tax just bought bottles and mixed ourselves. RTDs were just easier to travel and dispose of.
Old 19-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #18
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGod
I dont know why the money would even go back to the RTD companies? I mean it was the consumer that paid the increase (the TAX) not the company, the RTD companys would be getting free money???

And yes everyone i know including myself who used to drink RTDs before the tax just bought bottles and mixed ourselves. RTDs were just easier to travel and dispose of.
Dont know either, but they are after it....

One things for sure, Joe Public wont see it....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 19-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #19
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

We can finally stop getting ripped off though. bet plenty of the "against tax" voters like a cold JD n Coke...in a can.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 19-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #20
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
According to SBS (09:30pm) the Rudites are not going to hand the $300m already collected back to the Alcopop companies without a fight, instead they want to direct the funds into fighting Australias drinking problems.....

well imo its a good idea you should need a license to drink .
Because there is plenty of people that cant handle the high performance stuff.
Old 19-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #21
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

incredibly hard to police that though. would there be a learners(winesacks and low alcohol beer) provisional (west end, VB, other somesuch swill?) and full licence(bacardi 151)?
Game. Reinvented.

Old 19-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #22
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im just taking the puss

But i think there is a alcohol problem in australia , I should know i have one coke just doesn't taste right without it .
Would not have a clue what to do about , Not all that worried yet that is until i can no longer afford to live in a decent area
Old 19-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #23
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least prices will get back to reality!

Once went to a drive through and saw a banner for Jack daniels premix- $117!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
Old 19-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will bet anyone a 6 pack of square bear and cola that the price of a 6 pack of square bear and cola is still "tax included" tomorrow.

There is a legal dilemma here. The collected tax is not the property of the grog floggers so they cannot have it. I wonder if comrade chairman kev will find it should be "redistrubuted" and make up part of the $900, or BETTER still, 300M / 5M tax payers = $60 each do we get $960.

Or maybe it could go to road improvement or driver training?

Nahhh it will be used for a new sensitivity training scheme for disabled left handed gay freckled fleeby-doos for sure.....
Old 19-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

[QUOTENahhh it will be used for a new sensitivity training scheme for disabled left handed gay freckled fleeby-doos for sure.....[/QUOTE]

yeah thats what we need, more of that stuff.
yeah i thought you where snappy, just makin sure.
well, come friday JDs better be cheaper...
Game. Reinvented.

Old 19-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #26
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how long it will take for the prices to drop . I think there might be a few store might take advantage of this to .
Does not bother me to much ive gotten used to buying my jack in a bottle. There was no way i was paying 7 dollars a can from a bottleo.
And what ever the spend the cash on it will most likely disadvantage us so the longer they take to decide the better.
Old 19-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #27
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

About freaking time! now my nights out go back to being 100 a night instead of 150!

But also am wadering WTF the money goes back to the RTD co's? should be going back to US (impossible to do i know) so it shoudl go to some better cause, but not the ALco Co's
Old 19-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #28
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I heard as part of the agreement the government was keeping all tax collected so far.
Old 19-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #29
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i work in the liqour industry and we had received our price reduction notice last night at about 5 pm i think you will find that they will beging to flow on emediatly in some places

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #30
cob115
COUPE WHORE

this is yet another example of how completly incompotent Labor /rudd are at running any thing ,morons !!!! it was a ill thought out done on the run dumb asssssssss idea ,also the idiot has given the $900 to dead people and crims ,this would all be funny except WERE ALL PAYING THE BILL

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
Closed Thread