Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Updated Cruze with a 1.6 turbo available

Looks like Holden wants to deal with falling Cruze sales. Too bad it looks the same.

New base model has Internet radio, fog lights, 17 inch alloys, reverse sensors for $19,490 which makes it the cheapest small car around and probably the best equipped.

The SRI looks like a bargain with added 1.6 turbo, sports suspension (including EPAS), bodykit, and leather for $22,490.

Apparently Holden have made a lot of changes to the suspension, engine and transmission to make it a lot better than the previous version. Be interesting to see what sales will be like with the new features, better drivability and lot cheaper pricing. It is a very competitive market.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013...es-early-35478

Last edited by Brazen; 08-03-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default Re: Updated Cruze with a 1.6 turbo available

Those prices will see the squeeze on other brands, they may manage to sell a few more to the public rather than just hire car company's.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

The engines in these things (petrol and turbo diesel) rattle more than 20 year old Vn commodores!! And they are brand new cars.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprised HSV hasn't started taking a few to hot up.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Hulsty

I dont mind the cruze having been in a few, but the standard N/A motor is GUTLESS!
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

How can they sell them that cheaply and still make a profit?? Mind boggling.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wheels make it look ok actually...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the boom section of the market...decent sized cars with reasonably powerful engines and good driving manners. That's where the dollars are for a manufacturer...volume sales.

Given the rising costs of running cars...especially in states like Queensland where there are big differences between 4, 6, and 8 cylinder cars...and the rising cost of fuel, people are looking more to four cylinders but still want room. Look how the Corolla has grown over the decades for example, along with a lot of other cars that were once seen as "small".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
I thought the same thing. Still dont like it though.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
SS Eater

Wife bought a SRI 1.4l turbo nearly 12 months ago, for such a small package i was surprised.

They actually go OK, i wanted her to buy the Focus but Ford wouldn't come to the party with trade (12 month old Terry...AWD...TS...$21000...no way.Holden $30000)

Looks wise i prefer the Focus, but as a whole package including the cheaper price i was impressed.
The only thing i really hate is the electric steering, on the highway its way to light and vague.
It has all the whistles and bells any one would want, and nearly 1000kms to a tank, 6.5L per 100km
Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had a drive of 2012 model diesel the other day and they go surprisingly well

I hate to say it but might look at one for the wife when she decides to get her licence

and it was well equiped for what it was as well

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jesus the SRi is a great price, that is a little worrying as they aren't a bad car at all.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At $22,490 I find it hard to believe people would be knocking it when its better equipped than a G6E. As for people suggesting it is gutless, the monthly car sales suggest that normal consumers (the majority) do not care about performance.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

All I know is that a lot of people were let down by the 'hyped up' Cruze when it first came out. In my company, many people paid out their leases early just to get rid of them. One guy even tried writing it off into a kangaroo to no avail!
They may be ok now, but I think a lot of people are turned off the Cruze name after their first experiences with them. Modern day Camira anyone??
I remember driving one of the first ones for a 700km round trip one day, couldn't walk the next day due to the awful seats putting my back out! And let's not get started on how I would struggle to overtake anyone on a country road!
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Deleted

Last edited by M&Ms; 08-03-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Quadruple Post
Old 08-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Deleted

Last edited by M&Ms; 08-03-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Quadruple Post
Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Deleted

Last edited by M&Ms; 08-03-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Quadruple Post
Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
This is the boom section of the market...decent sized cars with reasonably powerful engines and good driving manners. That's where the dollars are for a manufacturer...volume sales.
Volume sales are pointless if no money is made on the sale. Particularly in a market segment like this where the margins are as small as the cars are.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Volume sales are pointless if no money is made on the sale. Particularly in a market segment like this where the margins are as small as the cars are.
Look on carsales, dealers are doing no money deals on cars, the only place to make money is on finance, aftermarket etc, we all need to hit targets by month end too.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The new Cruze with 1.6 Turbo will be an attractive package to Aussie buyers especially at that price
The concern I have is that the car's lower price will see potential profit replaced by increased sales.
I don't see how that helps in the long run Holden's sustainability in Australia needs to be profit based not volume.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Even more pointless is when you have a higher price to get an excellent margin and no one buys any. Your dealer network is also hardly falling over itself with joy at less customers for every aspect of their business.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 08-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The new Cruze with 1.6 Turbo will be an attractive package to Aussie buyers especially at that price
The concern I have is that the car's lower price will see potential profit replaced by increased sales.
I don't see how that helps in the long run Holden's sustainability in Australia needs to be profit based not volume.
Holden doesn't shy away from the fact that volume = continuing investment and viability of Australian production.

In 2016 we will know if Ford Aust have a magic formula that no other mass production manufacturer has yet been able to figure out for making less and less, but still being viable.

To be fair to Ford I don't recall they ever claimed they could, except to cut costs where possible as sales and profits retreat, but some on here have determined Ford have a magic formula making them immune to the realities of mass production.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 08-03-2013 at 02:20 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both the local Ford and Holden dealerships in my city went bankrupt last year. The only new car you can buy locally now are Suzuki's. Plenty of swifts around!.

Those were two very large dealers and just in the last couple of weeks the big Holden dealer in the next city went under. I bet the Ford there is/only hanging on because they also sell Nissan's. These are dealers that have been in business for over 50 years.

The point is if you aren't moving cars the dealers will have nothing to service and they will go bankrupt and then everyone will simply buy a swift!. .

Better to make nothing on the cars and a profit in the future on spare parts than living on instant noodles with your unemployment benefits. You really need to get the cars sold and sold in big numbers, the more you make the cheaper they are to build.

The turbo cruise is a good deal, best thing is it'll make Ford think long and hard about Fiesta ST pricing and even Focus pricing. I know the ST is a much better car but the general public won't know that.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The value proposition is amazing. The SRI and SRI-V are brimming with value and the latter is actually quite attractive, maybe if I didn't have the Focus I'd have one of these in the garage...
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
At $22,490 I find it hard to believe people would be knocking it when its better equipped than a G6E. As for people suggesting it is gutless, the monthly car sales suggest that normal consumers (the majority) do not care about performance.
Or maybe it`s more they are willing and capable of shelling out 22k for car x but not 30+k for car z??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its cheaper to cut profit to the absolute bone in an effort to get them out the door than to sack a heap of workers and pay out redundancies. Doesn't work unless sales go through the roof though. Just delays the enevitable.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #27
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

A friend of mine bought a 1.4 SRiV new about 8 months ago in manual. What a fantastic car (for the price and class that it's in). It's (in my view) an excellent choice for younger drivers or a wife looking for a decent run around.

It's decently made and the turbo helps it out a lot, although it's not an XR6T or a Skyline, it's not ment to be. Although the seats are shocking even with the leather, everything is wrapped in it and it's finished with a nice media system.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #28
Vormund

I have to admit that is a pretty sharp price. New wheels and exposed exhaust help too. I just wish they did something with that rear C-pillar piece...maybe make it smoothed out and body colour.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #29
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
FG XR6 rip-off wheels
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The resale and trade in values will go down with the new model $3k less...Who would buy a 2012 model ?when the 2013 is $3k less????