Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down another wonderful ford service experience

well yesterday i fitted an earls replacement oil line as i figured the car was getting to an age were those little safety measures are a good idea.with out a hoist i couldn't get it fully tightened an the ford dealer being the closest place figured i would just drop past pay 50 bucks or something they could throw it up on a hoist and it would be done. How wrong i was. I returned to pick up the car to a bill of $216! They decided that due to the age of the car to replace the stock oil filter, which i had taken out of the fitting. So i got charged 81 for the filter, 98 for labour and 16 for 2 washers when i questioned it they said its in there now the old one is in the bin not much you can do then went on to tell me that now i just have 2 filters... Gee thanks for making my other purchase useless after arguing for about 20min they turned around and said bring it back tomoro and well pull the filter out of the line. At the cost of another hours labour.

The thing that got me is wouldn't they have thought they should maybe call when they decided to replace a part? I thought that was standard practise? Long story short i will not be taking any car to ford service. I will stil buy ford but I'll be taking even a new car somewhere else and making sure my partner her family, my family and my friends(there is 6 of us with falcons). I'll be making sure i do my best that no one i know returns to this dealer for service reasons

Old 19-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: another wonderful ford service experience

So did you give the service guys clear instructions on what you wanted them to do?

And did you aks about labour costs before leaving the car there? Surely you didn't think they would charge $50 an hour? My dealer charges $110 an hour.

I recently needed window reg pop rivets and only Ford sold them (at $4.50 each!), trick is you cannot use the standard size riveter to pop them on, so I asked at the service department if they can just pop them on for me using their machine and was told minimum charge was $110, I said no thanks and went and bought the machine instead for $95.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

told them what i had done and what i needed to do that it needed tightening as it was leaking. Its a job i could have done in 5 min with a hoist, maybe they go by a minimum hours labour? If that was the only cost i would have got over it. It the fact they put the stock filter back on after i explained id removed it. Then after pointing out they did work i didn't want the offered to take it off at an hours labour. Am i over reacting? Probably but now Ive paid for all that im goin to have to pay someone else to take it off again as im not taking it back to ford. So in the end i would have paid another 100 for labour and 80 for the flippin filter that i didn't ask for or get notified that they wanted to put it on.

I called the ford customer complaint line sat on hold for almost an hour and stil got nowhere as i had to get back to work. Ive sent through an email but highly doubt I'll hear back
Old 19-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
RAPID_BA
Banned

My xr8 had the brake lights not working. I also noticed my cruise control was not working. Drove to ford,
The service department guy come over with saliva coming from his mouthN frothing at the mouth and was ready to hit Me for a home run.
We gotta do a diagnostics test, it would be this, it could be that. Mininimum charge $90 plus parts etc etc,likely brake booster, brake switch etc etc.

I thought I'd have no choice so booked it in and had to come back. On the way out stopped at auto electrician and told him the story. He dropped what he was doing and pulled my fuse cover off, plugged in a fuse and finished. Worked perfectly. He said the cruise and brake lights work off same circuit and it was a no brainer. I said how much do I owe you, he laughed and said nothing mate. Imagine what the ford bill would have been???
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Mate I made an earlier thread about my experience with my Bosses XR50. I just got my XR8 back from Autotech now and they found 2 faults in 2 weeks of it being there. Both had been replaced at time of build, everything done free of charge including labour as it was under warrenty.

Several personal experiences with Ford plus friends aswel which has helped me decide to not go through them again.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Mate I made an earlier thread about my experience with my Bosses XR50. I just got my XR8 back from Autotech now and they found 2 faults in 2 weeks of it being there. Both had been replaced at time of build, everything done free of charge including labour as it was under warrenty.

Several personal experiences with Ford plus friends aswel which has helped me decide to not go through them again.
are you saying that autotech can perform warranty works free of charge . i thought only ford could do that ???
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

i cant believe people still chose to go to fraud even after all the horror story's that get told on here
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Hoist for a oil line replacement,am I missing something here?

What made you go to a dealer to fix your problem?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
GT-E

THIS is what NSW Fair trading says about it
They should not have done any work outside of what you specified.
I had a delaer try to charge me $45 for wiper blades and $30 labour to fit it. I did not pay as I told them it was not requested.
Old 19-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Hoist for a oil line replacement,am I missing something here?

What made you go to a dealer to fix your problem?
the one right on the block, i just couldn't get to it with the car on stands as i only have a small jack and can only get the car on the first run of the stands which didn't give me enough space

if i had any other choice i would have taken it somewhere else but it was 3 on a Thursday arvo and i was working all day Friday so i just had to get it done as no one else could fit me in.
Old 19-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As GT-E pointed out if they perform extra services that you have not requested then do not pay for it.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not only do you have a claim with fair trading for the work they shouldn't have performed you have a claim for fixing their stuff up.
I see negativity to all ford service departments but this is a bit unfair. we have a few ford workshops around here ( all the one company though) and all are shoddy except one they are professional they listen to you and they doo small stuff for free ( I needed them to pop my stereo out recently and couldn't find my tools , no charge) funny thing is they are their smallest yard

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
i cant believe people still chose to go to fraud even after all the horror story's that get told on here
Exactly. I'd always try and find a way to do it myself.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 03:14 AM   #14
Till_Lind
E-series fan

I always take the precaution and clearly state that I want a call if there will be any surprise expenses. Shouldn't need to be said though really.
Old 21-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #15
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
As GT-E pointed out if they perform extra services that you have not requested then do not pay for it.
a bit hard when you need to pay the bill in order to get your keys back.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
there are good dealers out there. i'm more than happy to take my car to my dealer.

i also find that often, the attitude of the customer can play a big part.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 03:32 AM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
a bit hard when you need to pay the bill in order to get your keys back.
thats easy you have 2 options use your spare keys or call the cops to get your keys back they have no right to retain your keys for a service you didn't ask for. retaining your keys in a case like this is theft

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

When I get work done on my car, I give the mechanic a written list
of what I want. My phone number is also on the page with a note
asking to be called if there are any issues.

I've never had any problems with this method, but I do use
an independent mechanic and steer well clear of the local Ford dealer.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA

I thought I'd have no choice so booked it in and had to come back. On the way out stopped at auto electrician and told him the story. He dropped what he was doing and pulled my fuse cover off, plugged in a fuse and finished. Worked perfectly. He said the cruise and brake lights work off same circuit and it was a no brainer. I said how much do I owe you, he laughed and said nothing mate. Imagine what the ford bill would have been???
I can answer that one. Ford would have charged between $70-$90 to change a fuse.

I was on holiday in Ballarat a few months ago when the ciggy lighter stopped working. We were relying on the GPS to get us around and had no road maps or local directory with us.

Pull out the log book... "The fuse box is in a compartment under the glovebox" or words to that effect. No pictures showing exactly where.

So, after a bit of looking around I couldn't find it and decided to call the local Ford dealer. I asked if I could drive it in and can someone show me where the box is so I can change the fuse.

"Ohhh we are fully booked mate, can't do it till possibly 3pm. Yeah those fuses... seen it happen all the time, we get people plugging in double adapters into em with phone charges and GPS units and blow em caus it can't handle all the current. You see mate.. phone charges and GPS chargers are rated at 15-20 Amps and the fuse is 5 Amps.. so you see how easy they are to blow?? Should really only plug in 1 thing at a time mate".

At no time did I say I was using a double adapter lol, I did say we had been using it to charge the phone and to get around with the GPS (you know... using it how it was designed to be used)...

Anyway... I explained that the issue wasn't that I needed the fuse changed, the issue was that I COULDN'T FIND where the hell the fuses were hidden. I read back the books 'location instructions'... and his reply:

"Yeah mate, you need to remove the plastic trim in the footwell, then you need to open the glove box, there are 2 screws there... but you see mate, they are torx screws, so you need a special tool for that, but no worries mate.. like I said, bring it in around 3pm and we may have time to have a squiz" (I called at 9am)....

So what will the charge be I asked? "We got to charge minimum labour mate, looking at $70 to $90 depending on how long it takes"... to change a fuse, or to show me where the box is I questioned? "Both mate, by the time we show you we may as well change it".

I hung up the phone scratching my head. I have changed enough fuses in enough cars to know that it CAN'T be that hard a bloody process. The other problem was that it was raining and had no undercover area at the hotel to tinker with the car.

Anyway after enough digging around, wet knees and swearing at how bad the design of the book and fuse box was I found it. No need to remove any panels, no need for a torx screw driver.......

Found it was a 20amp fuse and changed it for the cost of a packet of fuses $5.

Yup, the guy had NFI what the hell he was on about, and he was the SERVICE MANAGER lol.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
thats easy you have 2 options use your spare keys
most people dont carry theirs with them.

Quote:
or call the cops
civil dispute. they'll tell you to go to court.

Quote:
retaining your keys in a case like this is theft
I'm not a lawyer, but IIRC, its called a mechanic's or posessor's lien, and may be legal depending on the state.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

at the risk of receiving death threats, here goes.....

i am a service adviser at my local ford dealership, and while a minimum rate may apply for diagnosis and repairs (it is upto the individual workshops), it is entirely unacceptable to be charged for unaurthorized work.

at the time of delivering the vehicle you should have been presented with a Repair Order. essentially it is a document with your details, the vehicle dtails and an outline of all work to be arried out on the vehicle. you should have been asked to sign the RO, this gives them the authority to perform the work, and covers the workers in the case of accidents. this then forms the official contract to perform the job, and receive payment for the work performed. if you didn't sign it, technically you haven't authorized ANY work to be done.

now, technically if all you wanted done was tighten oil line, that's what the RO should have stated...(can you recall what the RO had on it by any chance?? if they gave you an invoice -it is illegal not to- it should also have a summary of the work performed.), and that is all they have been authorized to do, anything further requires you to be contacted, the additional work explained, cost quoted, and permission to go ahead to be obtained.

basically, if you didn't sign for it or give additional permission- you don't pay for it. furthermore if you didn't authorize it, you don't pay for it to be returned to how you left it.

i would request a copy of the original Repair Order, they have to keep them on file for 5 years, so don't accept the old "it's already been filed" BS. check exactly what you have signed for, you may have a case to take it further.

at the very least i would lodge a complaint with ford CRC (13FORD) so there is a process started, maybe others have lodged similar concerns.

now that i'm outed, i'll be over here with all my friends.....

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project

Last edited by v8falconsrule; 21-08-2011 at 10:21 PM.
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
most people dont carry theirs with them.

civil dispute. they'll tell you to go to court.

I'm not a lawyer, but IIRC, its called a mechanic's or posessor's lien, and may be legal depending on the state.
Most people have heard this story on here. basically ford in townsville got my xr8 sideways right in front of me, big smoke show. they didn't know i saw it, they rang to say it needed this and that, i told them to do it. when i picked the car up they said it would be $800, i asked for my keys and they said no. i explained to them that i wanted to go and test the car before i paid. went to the car started it up, jumped in the drivers seat, told them i wouldn't paying and why and i drove off. never heard a thing from them ever again, not even those service reminders they usually send.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #23
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

one of 2 things are likely happening here-
1- the dealer/ service department is a rogue and is trying to screw you for more money
or
2- the dealer/service department doesn't have the necessary processes in place.

i can assure you if this happened in my department and the boss got wind of it, he'd be on the phone within 2 minutes wanting an explaination- and not much gets past the boss. maybe a meeting with the dealer principal could be in order?

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
and you still got ripped off by an auto store on the fuses lol
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #25
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I can answer that one. Ford would have charged between $70-$90 to change a fuse

Yup, the guy had NFI what the hell he was on about, and he was the SERVICE MANAGER lol.......
Wrong... Ford would have changed everything else first and checked the fuse last... I reckon $500+ and it only needed a fuse. I would have got brake booster or brake light switch as well.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #26
hawker

Quote:
Yes. Because every Ford Dealer is crap, and a waste of time. None are good. Oh wait.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #27
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Absolute joke some of these guys. Several phone calls and nearly 2 months later, I'm still waiting on Ford to fix the damage they did to my sunroof. Apparently " parts have been order " I bet if I was a paying customer, and it wasn't being fixed at their cost, the parts would be here, at no more than a weeks wait.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For all you know the part could actually be coming from Japan or somewhere in a similar situation. I've had to deal with a similar problem on the dealer side of things where a part couldn't be found for 6 months!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #29
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

yeah im really looking forward to taking the turbo for its first service
bet its got an extra 10 kms on the clock
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #30
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Had another good experience at Etheridge last week. Going to be doing a lot of driving over the next few weeks so got an interim 7500km service done, the Territory has 98,000km on it. Have the extended Ford warranty so despite the car being registered in August 2007, it is warranted to the end of August 2013. Service done as requested, $218. Both rear shock rubbers replaced under warranty, and two of the new designed front ball joints went in too.