Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
TickfordXR

Default Car Full of Problems.. Help!?!

Hey my EB XR6 is driving me insane it has these problems that keep getting worse but i cant seem to find what they are.. it has just hit 261,000k's so to no surprise it obviously should have problems...

ive made a list of the problems i have come across and would really appreciate some help from the knowledgable bunch of people here on FF..

1. Oil Pressure Guage Problem.... see this thread http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=37219

2. an odd erratic idle i have just picked up.. i am running an auto ECU in my car which was converted to manual in march.. but i have never had this bad of an idle.. after about 2 mins of idling it starts to idle between 300rpm and 800rpm and occasionally stalls.

3. a rattling/grinding sound coming from my gearbox that is quite noticable but goes away when u put the clutch in.

4. rattling and banging under my car in the driveline while accelerating, taking off and changing gears it seems to shudder the car real bad.. especially if i let the clutch out to the friction point and hold it.. the car starts to clunk and rattle real bad... and if i cruise along in 1st then put the foot on the clutch some thing clunks under the car its as if the driveline drops and has slack.. i have recently replaced all 4 trailing arms with nolothane varients and also replaced the drivers side engine moun so that rules them out..

sorry about the long post but im just about fed up with my car and if i dont find these problems i think im just gonna have to hand over the keys to a knew owner.. :(

all help is very much appreciated

thanks, brad.

LOWXR - Back to stay - Awaiting forged bottom end
TickfordXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

hey mate ive had and still have a problem with dizzy/ignition module that has been on goin but im gonna get it fixed because i love the car. i have spent over $4000 keeoing the car running because i couldnt stand to sell it.

if you really love your car could u hand over the keys to somone or do u bear with it and fix things as the happen

brendan

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickfordXR
3. a rattling/grinding sound coming from my gearbox that is quite noticable but goes away when u put the clutch in.

4. rattling and banging under my car in the driveline while accelerating, taking off and changing gears it seems to shudder the car real bad.. especially if i let the clutch out to the friction point and hold it.. the car starts to clunk and rattle real bad... and if i cruise along in 1st then put the foot on the clutch some thing clunks under the car its as if the driveline drops and has slack.. i have recently replaced all 4 trailing arms with nolothane varients and also replaced the drivers side engine moun so that rules them out..
Mate check out the gearbox mount...

It's pretty easy to check, brace the gearbox with a hydraulic jack and some hardwood packing, unbolt the crossmember and it should come out on that...

A quick test would be to see how far the gearstick moves from side to side when you give the engine a rev...

Mate, don't EVER replace the engine mounts with that nolathene ИИИИ, unless you enjoy going to repco every weekend getting them exchanged, expecially true for a manual car.

A bit of advice, the original rubber ford engine mounts were about $2 cheaper each, and far outlasted the nolathene ones (even in a high speed frontal impact!)

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
SB4
E-Series Member

Quote:
2. an odd erratic idle i have just picked up.. i am running an auto ECU in my car which was converted to manual in march.. but i have never had this bad of an idle.. after about 2 mins of idling it starts to idle between 300rpm and 800rpm and occasionally stalls.
I had similar problems with my EA. The isc was full of crap apparently, cleaned it out and it worked fine after that. You might want to give this a try first if you already haven't.
-Sam
SB4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
efgiar
rofl copter

yeah mines idling funny and stalls sumtimes, im 99.9% sure its the ISC just havnt been bothered to have a look might do that tomorow tho :P

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 01:38 AM   #6
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Check for a vacuum leak with the bad idle... Thats the main culperate Ive found.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 01:42 AM   #7
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

clutch shudder means im pretty sure your clutch is due for a change, as for grinding that goes away, guessing its your thrust bearing (i just changed clutch and new one already making noise), check out your trailing arms as well... see if the bushes are gone..

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

E-series and problems stick together like peas and carrots. I'm at 220,000 and problems include:
- A gearbox that gives a harsh thump between upshifts (particularily 1st to 2nd). It's been serviced recently and it helped a little bit, but it doesn't have much life left in it.
- My power steering pressure switch, which I replaced only 4 months ago, has started leaking again.
- Aircon needs regassing. It was last done about 2 years ago.
- Throttle cable and cruise control cable are badly worn.
- My fan belt is squeeling when the car is cold.
- Suspension is squeeking. I know how to fix it. I just need to get the equipment to do it.
- Brake pads are worn. The sound those brakes are making could wake the dead.
- Engine is running a bit warmer than I'd like. The gauge is also worrying me when I switch off the car and restart it after a couple of minutes. The gauge goes straight up to the top of normal before slowly working it's way back down to the bottom, where it should be.

Even still, I wouldn't even consider selling the car. Just think, everything you replace means you shouldn't have to touch it for a while (except that damn power steering pressure switch), so you can enjoy plenty of trouble free motoring.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post