Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
montyLalor
Padawan Learner

Default Factory Roobar Works!!!

: So much for a car-maintenance-free-weekend!!!

I had to go and hit a ferkin' kanga last Monday night (actually 3am Tuesday on the way home from work). Typical scenario: came out of nowhere, made a single bound towards my car, then away, then back in front and *punt*! Take that, Skip!! (10-12m drop-punt - oh so satisfying). Just glad it didn't come up over the bonnet! As it is, it's just bent the roobar "back and to the left" "back and to the left". No panel damage, just some busted bumper clips and the unused front left indicator got whalloped by it's tail and broken. And the bent front rail/roobar brackets.

Was quoted $400ish to have it all stripped, straightened, and assembled. Might be worth it if AAMI didn't raise my excess to $500 (was $400). Now I'm gonna have to strip it myself and get the repairer to straighten the body for a 'by the hour' rate. As for painting, it's only the roobar that needs paint, and that is only because of scratches from the previous owner (been there, undisturbed for 4 years!).

Okay, got out of it fairly luckily. But there goes today! :

Your fronter manoeuvres with the eloquence of a fiery wall of disintegrating fuselage...
montyLalor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel your pain. I have an 80k trip through a roo & emu infested forest. Not much fun. Thankfully the Sprint doesn't have to be used for the trip but it still isn't much fun in the laser.

Did you get the car straightened??
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
montyLalor
Padawan Learner

Yeah, ended up doing it all on the weekend. Took the assembly off, separated the roobar and bumper skin and put the roobar back on and pulled down on it with a length of 4x2! Wasn't that badly bent. Then removed the roobar, put the skin and air-dam back on (I love pop-rivets!) and it just fell back on. Pretty painless, actually. Worst part is I've gotta yet scrub the dirty fingerprints of the white duco! (Constant battle.)

Your fronter manoeuvres with the eloquence of a fiery wall of disintegrating fuselage...
montyLalor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lost my first ground-up rebuild to a roo that didn't look left, right, left again. It could have been worse, it was only a Commodore - but it ended up being a pretty nice one at that after many hours after school in the garage with it.

That was years ago and ever since that I always have the little roo whistles for $4 bucks from Repco on the front bar. Still see plenty of roos, but (touching wood), haven't come across any kamikaze ones. When I was living on my property full time I had proper shoo-roo's on both cars, but just don't spend the time out there to justify putting it on the Subie or 'Lane. (Mini has never been to the farm - has an aversion to long distance freeway work because of the expansion joints + sport suspension + runflats).
Old 26-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
ch33z1l
Dawn

Few months ago, passed a guy who had demolished one at 110km/h in a old one-tonner. Spun the one-tonner sideways and speared across the highway. (we thought we was doing a skid so we got it on video). Smashed the radiator back into the fan assembly.

Dragged the kangaroo off the road, and all you could here was bones jingling.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
hannem

Was working in one of the power stations up in the Snowy mountains a few years ago and a mate was driving his EH ute up to do some work there as well.

On the way up a stoopid roo decided to come bounding out of the forest and smash into his drivers door caving it in nicely, luckily that was the only damage and "easily" replaceable.

Another one years ago traveling interstate on a family holiday when I was teen, Dad driving the VW Kombi van with me in the front seat. Rest of the family asleep.

Usual roo stuff, boing, boing, BANG. Problem is that when we hit it, it must have opened up his poo parts and spread then all down the side of the Kombi.
(or he shat himself when he knew what happening) :

Front caved in drivers door stuffed and burning fur and smell. Yuk.

Cheers M
hannem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post