Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Auto or Manual honest opinions please

your all gonna hate me for this, but when i first got my licence i was more of a holden man, but iv'e changed now. but i do still have my first car which is a HQ 4 door with a 202 and an aussie 4 speed (which i fitted myself), but i spent about 3 months on the body and preparing it for the gts paint job it has now, which was done four years ago. and i can't bring myself to sell it, so i've decided to do some real big mods to it and i'ts gonna be fast, very fast, as i'm going to V8 it,

and was wondering what is the best trans to put in, manual or auto as i have to buy a V8 trans with a V8.

EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

go a 2 speed power glide
if you want power
and to go fast
then get a Glide and a good stall
Old 20-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Manual, hands down...., or better yet, custom ratio manual box!!!!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
LeMans

The best option is the sequential auto in the new Falcons.

But back in the real world of HQ Holdens, my choice by a country mile would be a manual. If there is one thing that bothers me with autos, it’s that they do what they want when they want it, and usually when you least want it. I like to have total control of all aspects of the car. Combined with the fact that a manual will generally be more economical and more power to the wheels (all things being equal) there is no choice.

Now back to fantasy land, a Falcon sequential would be awesome. A quick smooth shift when you want it and only when you want it.
LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #5
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a B&M shifter will make a trimatic just as good as a sports sequential and a stall converter = shift kit will make a good challenge for a manual, in fact most people use worked autos in drag strip cars cause their quiker, but on the other hand a manual is so much more fun.
Old 20-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
Steffo
LPG > You

Depends on what you do with it.

Drag race? Auto.

Corners? Manual.

Cruiser, street driving etc? Auto.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs
your all gonna hate me for this, but when i first got my licence i was more of a holden man, but iv'e changed now. but i do still have my first car which is a HQ 4 door with a 202 and an aussie 4 speed (which i fitted myself), but i spent about 3 months on the body and preparing it for the gts paint job it has now, which was done four years ago. and i can't bring myself to sell it, so i've decided to do some real big mods to it and i'ts gonna be fast, very fast, as i'm going to V8 it,

and was wondering what is the best trans to put in, manual or auto as i have to buy a V8 trans with a V8.
If you want heaps of opinions about auto or manual transmissions then click here

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i deffinately dont want it for corners, and old HQ on corners, i might as well pushe the thing into a tree or off a cliff, atleast i won't be in the car then and it will still have the same fate
Old 20-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If u want to drag auto I had a 327 Chev in my HJ with Turbo 400 & Shift Kit & my mate Had 327 Chev in his HQ GTS with Turbo 350 & both went very well.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah, Pure drag car.... CVT - lol

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #11
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

If you go for a manual, do yourself a favour and put in a Supra 5 speed or something similar, stay away from the old M20/M21 Aussie 4 speeds, as most of them are stuffed now, and they cant handle much HP anyway.

2 Speed Glides aren't much good unless you run pretty big stalls with them, i would look at a modded Tri matic (traumatic) you can get lots of good bits for them now,
Old 20-04-2006, 11:58 PM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Turbo 400 & Shift Kit .
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i think i might go auto because first of all it's probably cheaper and easier in the first place but what would it be like cruising around town and on the open road with a 2500-3500 stall converter, and also will a stall converter light up the tyres every time you take off. cause as far as i know the car won't hardly move untill it locks up. but manuals also have an advantage, you an have a tall diff and you got more gears to make up for it.

decisions decisions hey
Old 21-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #14
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hhmm, id go the manual, but if you go the auto i've heard the trimatics are not a good choice, apparently they are called truamatics
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
macca_779
Turbine Power

Mate get an EFI 304 for the old girl. Personally go AUTO (T700) as its going to be a cruiser yes. As much as i love manuals and have always owned them, old cars are better suited to AUTO'S in my opinion
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #16
bwhinnen

T700 is the go, neighbour has one in his 383ci (chev) HQ Monaro. Has tricked it up himself and says it's the easiest thing to do when you have the correct workshop manuals... Mind you he does a bit of mechanical work on the side.
bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #17
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alright! it's like this. CRS make a bellhousing so i can adapt a 6 cylinder manual to a V8 (i think they do anyway). Now! i have a chioce of a 4 speed all synchro or 3 speed all synchro, so if i have say, a 3.55 diff or somewhere around that ratio with a 300-400 HP motor what do you think would be best to use. i was thinking possibly a three speed because it is one less gear change and with that much power another gear down low shouldn't make much difference, so what do you all think.
Old 27-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #18
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no comment, NO COMMENT
Old 27-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #19
460cixy
burn out king

this old chesnut. i would be intrested to know who has actualy owned and drivan a manual on a daily basis. or are we all arm chair race drivers ?
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #20
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

YUp i drive a manual every day EB falcon with the heavest cluch ever its a pain in the *** .... used to have a manual in my cortina, with a 260@050 cam, and at one stage 2.92 gears, to say it was a pig is an understate ment used it have to use 3rd at 60-80 km/ph or it would be bunny hopping and stuffing about . Fitted a c9 and a big of converter, and its the easiest thing to drive about, any one that says big converters arnt streetable hasnt driven a car fitted with one. Defently fit an auto t700 seems the go, the old trimatic can be built tuff 2

Last edited by INJECTED_250; 28-04-2006 at 12:21 AM.
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #21
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Personal preference? Manual.

But I think an auto is best suited for you.
Old 28-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #22
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

INJECTED 250 has it covered. I also drive a manual daily at the moment and some days I hate the car, yes it's fun for racing and drifting and all that stuff but a daily driver is so much more enjoyable when it's my wifes Fairmont Ghia (Auto obviously).
If you go for any of the turbo boxes (t350, t400, t700) there are so many aftermarket parts for them it's not funny.
They are only traumatic if they're stock, you can build them sooooo tough!
Personaly if I had your car, if your talking about a 350 chev motor, I would fit a t400.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #23
460cixy
burn out king

thing that gets me is i can drive a 6 banger falcon in to the workshop with the worst gear change and heavy clutch known to man yet its onl;y a pov pack 6cyl falcon. then i could drive in a gtr skyline with twice as much grunt and nice slick box and good clutch feel. that i could drive every day. when a falcon has a decent manual and a decent clutch i will go back to driveing one as for now my old 4 speed manual range rover has a better shift quality
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 01:19 AM   #24
XRchic
Hello

Drive every day and race my manual BA. Its fine with me, I hate autos and Im not good at driving or racing them. However, it very much depends on the car and the person.

If you intend to drag race, then go for the auto - the autos always get better times.

If you intend to race on a track, go for manuals - much better for curves and changing speeds.

If you just want something to cruise in, either manual or auto would be fine, depending on your preference and what sort of cruising you plan to do (city or country).

If you plan to drive mostly in the city/in traffic, most people prefer autos. I drive in peak hour nearly two hours a day and my manual doesnt bother me in the slightest (and I have a poorly healed broken left foot and ankle) but most people dont like manuals in traffic.

Many older cars are better in auto, just depends.

Good luck mate.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 01:35 AM   #25
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I read there is an article in this month’s Motor magazine where 98% of all XR6T and F6’s sold are being purchased with the 6 speed auto.
This will make it very rare to find a manual if your looking for a 2nd hand one in years to come.
Why change gears enjoy your driving, automatic's are that far advanced now, we will see a decline across the board a manual will be a thing of the past.
Its just like a dish washer or a washing machine why do it by hand..lol..

A quote from another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
Manuals are only good for large trucks.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 01:45 AM   #26
xfalconz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I read there is an article in this month’s Motor magazine where 98% of all XR6T and F6’s sold are being purchased with the 6 speed auto.
This will make it very rare to find a manual if your looking for a 2nd hand one in years to come.
Why change gears enjoy your driving, automatic's are that far advanced now, we will see a decline across the board a manual will be a thing of the past.
Its just like a dish washer or a washing machine why do it by hand..lol..

A quote from another thread.
There is something to be said for the 6speed manual in the XR6T. Depending on when and how fast gears are changed you can get the turbo and wastegate to make some great noises!
Probabaly sounds a bit stupid but its satisfying to get a good change on a good piece of road with the Turbo whistling.
When it all comes together its definitly grin inducing!
xfalconz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #27
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

Manual all the way, i hate autos
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #28
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the problem i have is all the manuals i have are 6 cylinder ones, i don't know if there is any difference in strength, i doub't a car manafacturer would cast stronger parts and have twice the work to do, when they can just make one box and that's it. but iv'e also heard that the holden manuals can't take much grunt, but iv'e thrashed the out of the manual i have and have had no probs.
Old 29-04-2006, 12:53 AM   #29
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs
the problem i have is all the manuals i have are 6 cylinder ones, i don't know if there is any difference in strength, i doub't a car manafacturer would cast stronger parts and have twice the work to do, when they can just make one box and that's it. but iv'e also heard that the holden manuals can't take much grunt, but iv'e thrashed the out of the manual i have and have had no probs.
Gearbox or clutch? Clutches tend to be the weaker point in BA 6s, but the gearbox seems to be ok for the most part. Ive had loads of problems with weak Ford clutches in mine, but no issues with the gearbox to date except for dodgy synchro on 5th which is getting fixed shortly.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #30
bazzalong

Lightbulb

not sure what the problem is with the BA's, but you guys have it real good, hydro clutch, twin cam, and a turbo option.

i drive an AU XR6 manual, every day, and i love it.
i have a heavier rated clutch, with old school cable technology.

my advise, go with what you want, if you like auto, do auto, but go for the T700, the fourth speed helps with the economy, but for the manual, you need to get the V8 box, otherwise you will be throwing money down the drain, and they are a to change out by yourself, you definantly should go for the four speed box, because with a three speed you run out of legs at about 120kph, depending on your diff gears, and petrol is not cheap now, so think economy as well as power.

happy hunting
bazzalong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post