Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Default Is dedicated gas worth it?

Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering if any of you out there with a BA on dedicated gas can tell me if it's a good option to go with. My wife has just started back at work full time and she wants to update to a better/safer car than a Hyundai now she is doing more kms (500-600 kms a week) She would like to get a diesel VW Golf, but I think at nearly half the price, a 12 month old BA E-GAS could be better. Any input on L/100 and kms to a tank would be great. How many useable litres is the tank and in a sedan where does the tank go?
Thanks Greg.

GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yes for sure

Much nicer, more comfortable and safer car with good resale than any hyundai. LPG is clean and dedicated LPG cars last forever- note taxis

its an 80l tank and i get 600/650klms to a tank pure highway and thats in an AU, a newer BA would be better

480 klms in mixed

380/400klms with a heavy foot in town .

Tanks in the under the boot (wagon has two tanks), where the spare normally goes and the spare i wrapped in carpet and sits in the boot, but you can get extra space with a space saver wheel. Rear seats still fold down though, so if your in the market (base models) i cant see why anyone would go for the petrol versions.

*LPG is between 48 and 58 here on the central coast- Diesel is like a $1.50 , dieseals stink and the waiting list for a golf disel would be about 3 months.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Some people say it isnt worth it, you need to factor in the amount of Km's you do and work out the savings. Also, ive heard they need to be kept pretty much in tune or they will become more uneconomical and this will reode your savings.

Somebody im sure will post more detailed info, just presenting the other side for ya.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to bathurst last year in a BA mkII with dedicated gas, 3 people in the car, covered 2400km for $98.00. I think that speaks for itself.
There is no tuning required on dedicated gas Falcons, just make sure the system is serviced as required every 15000km's which would be done during normal vehicle servicing.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

I have done 130 000 k in my Dedicated gas Ba ute and would not have a petrol one for the work I do.

I know the sedans have a smaller tank than the wagons and utes but the range will depend upon your load and type of use.

NOTE the BA uses slightly more fuel than the Au NOT less as suggested.

My Ute is very heavy (2750kg) with a canopy that does not help it's aerodynamics, and does a mix of highway and city miles and i average 15.6 L/100km.

Things to watch are
regular servicing,
air filters are critical for gas cars
Cattalytic converters tend to be short lived in the gas cars as the exhaust is hotter, when the cat goes always put a hi flow unit on and I am told they respond very positivly to a less restrictive exhaust (will improve your economy by about 2 L/100K according to a mate who uses his for courier work.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

dont worry about it mate . get it . i've had lpg vehicles for 13 years . i do 30 000kms a year. thats 400 000kms . at about 40 to 45% the cost of petrol. so imagime $45 a week instead of $100. thats $55 a week x52 = $2860 x13 = $37180 @ todays prices .
dont even think about it just do it . buy a 2nd hand 1 year old with gas already on it . you wont pay more than a petrol one 2nd hand. do it bro do it. also you can tow put a family in it and it is big powerful safe car. no regrets here .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
nods

Default dedicated gas

The tank in the sedan is where the old fuel tank was not like the au's
and i think by memory it holds 95 L and the wagons hold 115 L great car
ive had mine a couple of months im so happy with it I traded up fro an au2
dual fuel
good luck cheers nods :eclipsee_
nods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Mrs is a fleet manager and recons the E-gas Falcons are damn expensive to maintain. Constant issues with the gas systems she reckons.

The Mrs wants a Toyota Prius buzz box. As they cost bugger all in fuel and maintenance. I wouldn't mind one but they cost s**tloads for a 4cyl car.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

brenx. PRIUS battery packs are $3100 plus fitting. sell it before warranty expires.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Duel Fuel

I have a duel fuel AU1 Forte, and the only problem i have is starting the bloody thing, i always have to put it on petrol then after a couple of k's i switch it back to gas and it's all good!

I say go the BA on dedicated gas, it's so much cheaper!

I wouldn't mind knowing how much they are going for????? As i could see my self after i've paid off the AU1 to go n buy a dedicated gas AU or BA!

Cheers

Simon :eclipsee_
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

My sister-inlaws dad had a BA Ute dedicated Gas, It was his company car, Was a heap to drive trust me it had problems, They replaced it with BA MKII non Gas I6, He gets good km's in that 600-700 on average but he drives like his age almost 70. They love to use the Ute they have a AU III Classic but always use the Ute to get around in.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:29 AM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

Daily driver + lots of kilometres + not a sports car = go for LPG.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 01:02 AM   #13
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Do it, do it, do it, do it!!
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #14
turboute
turboute

Definitely do it - but buy a petrol BA and convert it to a Sequential gas setup - no power restricting Gas rings!, P.S this is exactly what I will be doing at the end of the year

My Current ute gets about 350km's for $25. (50/50 mix hwy/city)
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #15
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Dedicated Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
Definitely do it - but buy a petrol BA and convert it to a Sequential gas setup - no power restricting Gas rings!, P.S this is exactly what I will be doing at the end of the year

My Current ute gets about 350km's for $25. (50/50 mix hwy/city)
I'd go dedicated gas, dedicated gas engines are built for gas cars.....Less problems....Duel fuel systems are 50/50 i've got duel fuel n its a pain in the a$$ on gas to start and it im havin to get the gas mixturs reset.....Go dedicated gas! It'll be a much better option!

Again i'd like to know how much either the AU or BA dedicated gas sedans go for....More so the BA's

Cheers

Simon :evil3:
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #16
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

[QUOTE=brenx]My Mrs is a fleet manager and recons the E-gas Falcons are damn expensive to maintain. Constant issues with the gas systems she reckons. QUOTE]

Just had a look at the running costs of my BA xr6 and the BA Xl ute (dedicated gas), had both since new.

Both have done over 120 000 km, even with replacing the air filter more regularly, and the (very) expensive plugs in the ute it is significently cheaper to run. both cars factory serviced

As far as constant problems with the E gas , I too have had issues with back firing and more recently with the Cat (come to think of it probibly linked) but at the end of the day much cheaper in running costs, and with gas at 59c and Ulp at 1.39 the difference is getting bigger.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #17
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Some guy on here mad a LPG conversion calculator to see if its worth it for people on the forums, I have it on my computer PM me if you want it.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #18
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Thanks everyone for your input, it seems like a good way to go. Now I think my only problem will be convincing my wife to for it as she seems to have her heart set on the Golf.
Greg.
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #19
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED XR8
Thanks everyone for your input, it seems like a good way to go. Now I think my only problem will be convincing my wife to for it as she seems to have her heart set on the Golf.
Greg.
Just tell her that you want to support Australian made and are concerned about the increasing costs of imported spare parts
Old 05-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #20
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED XR8
Greg.
Whos paying for it ???? if its u then i say she gets what shes given after all u could explain to her there will be more money to spend on clothes and shoes she will surely see it your way hahahahaha
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #21
GraveDilute

I just bought a stock BA and am getting a sequential gas injection system put in as part of the deal.
No restrictive gas rings, and almost same economy as petrol.
I also plan to mod mine, so will be interesting to see how close the results are when running petrol vs gas. Looking to surprise some of the naysayers.

I say, go LPG.
GraveDilute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #22
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveDilute
I just bought a stock BA and am getting a sequential gas injection system put in as part of the deal.
No restrictive gas rings, and almost same economy as petrol.
I also plan to mod mine, so will be interesting to see how close the results are when running petrol vs gas. Looking to surprise some of the naysayers.

I say, go LPG.
Can you please explain to us uneducated whats the difference between sequential and other gas systems and how much have you been quoted for either or at least the sequential. Thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #23
GraveDilute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Can you please explain to us uneducated whats the difference between sequential and other gas systems and how much have you been quoted for either or at least the sequential. Thanks
Yep,

I think this gives the best overview of what the system does in comparison to the traditional converter/mixer type.
http://www.tartariniauto.it/productlist.php?cat=6&sub=2

Local network is Victorian Autogas:
http://www.vags.net.au/BA-falcon-LPG-tartarine.htm

I rang around a bit, and prices fluctuated wildly, but went from $3400 right up to $4500. Definitely pays to do a bit of research before asking for a gas system to be installed. This is for a BA Wagon, which needs the toroidal tank and relocation of spare tyre.
Workshop has the car for 2 days, and was told that the kit itself is 2.5k. So the labour costs and registering are fairly reasonable I think.
GraveDilute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 AM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My EL runs fine on Gas, a little down on low down torque compared to petrol, but its still adequate. Its setup to start on petrol and then switches over once running, the start is a little rougher than when on petrol, but otherwise you wouldnt notice in how it runs.
Its a Viele(?) system.

I can nearly get 400kms from 55L mostly city driving thats about the same as petrol. I just wish the tank was bigger (actually no I dont, it takes long enough to bloody fill it already).
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #25
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

I'm getting the fairlane put on gas in two weeks. The guy said to get the impco mixer as it's alot better with the tickford engine , is this right?? Also how often should l change the air filter then or will cleaning it more often do the trick??
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #26
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
My Mrs is a fleet manager and recons the E-gas Falcons are damn expensive to maintain. Constant issues with the gas systems she reckons.

The Mrs wants a Toyota Prius buzz box. As they cost bugger all in fuel and maintenance. I wouldn't mind one but they cost s**tloads for a 4cyl car.
You Mrs. has no idea. Tell her to compare a Toyota Prius vs Ford Falcon XT with eGas:

- purchase price (Ford wins)
- annual fuel costs (Toyota wins)
- maintenance costs (Toyota wins)
- replacement batteries (Ford wins)
- insurance (Ford wins)
- performance (Ford wins)
- practicality (Ford wins)
- Australian made (Ford wins)

I laugh every time I see a Prius on the road as people who buy/lease these vehicles are misguided.

Article about Prius' hidden costs

FF

Last edited by Falcon Freak; 06-05-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #27
jobeli

Talking

Hi all.
I've got an E-Gas BA MkII SE auto ute with canopy which I bought new in oct '04.
I always carry about 500kg of equipment in the back (i'm a tradesman) and i've now got about 54000kms on the clock.
I have had a couple of very minor warranty issues which were happily fixed by the local dealer but definitely no engine/major probs.
While hesitant about LPG at first, i'm now rapt in the car and the economy.

Driving round local area (Doncaster Vic.) which is all hills about 16-18 l/100km.
General suburban running, about 14-16 l/100km.
Long trips on freeways, about 11-12 l/100km.

On a recent trip Melb- Surfers Paradise via Syd return (abt 3500kms) average speed of 110-120 km/h 40 degree heat AC on, TOTAL fuel cost of $200.00. Try that in a golf diesel.

Economy improves significantly when the back is emptied.

Am I happy. Hell yeah.

BTW my last workcar was a petrol VW Transporter, and whilst it was a good van, the cost of any spare parts was enormous.

Hope this helps.
jobeli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #28
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

[QUOTE=XR6 Martin]My EL runs fine on Gas, a little down on low down torque compared to petrol, but its still adequate. QUOTE]

\
Interesting point Is that due to the conversion and the ability to run both fuels?? ie. compromised tuning ??

Now Waiting to get shot down by someone with a spec sheet but From memory the AU Dedicated gas had higher torque than the petrol engine.

I thought this was due to the higher compression and higher octane rating of the LPG.

Can anyone confirm (or shoot me down LOL) would be curious to see comparative figures on BA dedicated to petrol. I know the power rating Kw will be down slightly but would love to see the torque curves.

Hmmmm curves now that gets me thinking
Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #29
Marhleet

Cool

get it
do it
I just filled up my new car
used to be $30 for a full tank of LPG
petrol got me 22 litres, $90 for the fill
wonder how far it will go, the trip computer guesses 480km

I'm getting gas put in asap

and something I hadn't mentioned on the old stolen EA
17 years old, it still had the original exhaust system, front to back !!! :
Marhleet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #30
Falcon Freak
Banned

A mate of mine last month received a brand new BF ute with the eGas engine. He told me he got over 650km on 80 litres of LPG. He loves the car and stated that this car has more power and is more economical than his AU ute which also had an eGas engine.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post