Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Kiwi Journalist Brands Anzac Diggers Bludgers And Thieves

Quote:
LINK

The RSL has reacted with outrage to comments by New Zealand journalists less than a week before ANZAC Day that Australian ANZAC soldiers were lazy "bludgers" and "thieves".

The remarks were aired on New Zealand's public broadcaster Radio National as the panel discussed a recently published book by former Australian Army officer and Department of Veterans Affairs historian Graham Wilson, who argues a number of myths have developed around Gallipoli.

Journalist Jock Anderson told listeners that "Australian soldiers have been reluctant at the best of times" before attacking their commitment and condescendingly praising the diggers for their cunning.

"They've been essentially lazy bludgers, some of them, and excellent black marketeers, scavengers, poachers and thieves," Anderson said.

The journalist conceded the diggers had their moments on the battlefield "but there is no way they can hold a candle, in my opinion, to the Kiwis."

Freelance journalist Josie McNaught added that she was "so sick of hearing that ridiculous cliche" that Australia's national identity was forged on the beaches of Gallipoli.

RSL Queensland chairman Terry Meehan described the comments as "disappointing" to the many servicemen who had lost their lives.

He said he took particular offence to the term "bludgers" and added that the comments stung even more coming from Australia's perennial ally New Zealand.

"I have never heard Australians talk about New Zealanders in such a way,'' Mr Meehan told the Daily Telegraph.

"Gallipoli was where the Anzac legend started - and it's continued right through history," Mr Meehan said.

JEEZ LOUISE WHY DO THESE PEOPLE EVEN GET AIR TIME.

I HAVE A LOT OF KIWI MATES AND I HAVE NEVER, NEVER HEARD THEM DEFILE OUR TROOPS IN THIS WAY...

ABSOLUTELY SICKENING

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Turboconvert

Default Re: Kiwi Journalist Brands Anzac Diggers Bludgers And Thieves

One thing stands out to me and is that we should not treat the rest of new zealanders] the same due to the view off one journalist. This anzac day I will remember the scarifice of ALL diggers, Australian AND New Zealand, for together they stood tall for both countries. We may be separte countries, but the diggers fought side by side, like brothers and sisters, for the good off BOTH countries. I would ask everyone who reads this not to take notice of this journalists article on anzac day, but remember the scarifice off all diggers and what and who they fought for. Do not get me wrong, this article disgusts me to the bone, but to allow it to shape my opinion of the diggers would be win for such a poor excuse for a piece of journalism

They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

LEST WE FORGET

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Was this a question for Col?

Its just someone looking for attention.
Old 22-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look the idiot up, he is just an kiwi kyle sandilands with the same level of credibility.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a Jock ***.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

peanut..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Spudz27
Call me Spud

What an idiot. Does NZ even have an army lol. Anyway I try my best to attend anzac dawn service. I am really anticipating 2014, I live where the anzacs first left from, so we will be having a huge service that year. Idiots like him don't annoy me because they are just that, idiots, not worth getting upset over.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
nstg8a

yeah... as a kiwi that certainly is not representative of how i view those who fought in the wars, no matter if theyre australian or kiwi.

viewing the comments as from a 'kiwi kyle sandilands' is a pretty fair comment imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz
Does NZ even have an army lol.
no need to stoop to the same condescending bs.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
cosworthfreak

Sounds like a couple of hack NZ journos didn't get enough love from their mommys.
cosworthfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
yeah... as a kiwi that certainly is not representative of how i view those who fought in the wars, no matter if theyre australian or kiwi.

viewing the comments as from a 'kiwi kyle sandilands' is a pretty fair comment imo.

no need to stoop to the same condescending bs.
Just a light hearted joke mate, hence the lol on the end.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok I'll risk a lynching by posting here (being a Kiwi)

I would say the opinions expressed by these journalists are not indicative of Kiwi's as a whole (in fact far from it).

These people work for National Radio, who actually listens to National Radio (probably nobody). I had to google their names as I've never heard of them.

They are actually discussing a book written by an Australian, what did he actually write to give them that opinion.

Very poor timing though.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Sounds like these Kiwis are upset that Australia's diggers have such an awesome reputation for bravery and fighting skill, and they haven't been lumped in the same boat, so they need to cut them down to bring them down to their level.

What a joke. Someone find this clown and punch him in the throat.

My great grandfather landed in Gallipoli in the first wave, and stayed there until he got pneumonia and was evactuated out.

Last edited by flappist; 24-04-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: do not circumvent the swear filter, it will bite you
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

What a pair of douchebags. I hope the pair of them get a brick through their windscreen.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
They are actually discussing a book written by an Australian, what did he actually write to give them that opinion.

Very poor timing though.
Bully Beef and balderdash
http://www.amazon.com/Bully-Balderda.../dp/B007NA9NHG

Unfortunately (as is the Australian way) stories sometimes get better and better with age. It's probably expected that stories around our beloved ANZACs would probably become somewhat enhanced over time. It's good to ratchet it back a bit and have a reality check.

But the comments from the OP are just spiteful.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
What a pair of douchebags. I hope the pair of them get a brick through their windscreen.
Through their skulls mate. Disrespect at it's worst.Sent these two to war and see how they go.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #16
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Just a cheap shot at 15 seconds of fame. Like others of this ilk. They will be back to being nobodies soon enough.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed with Scotty, just someone desperate for attention

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Look the idiot up, he is just an kiwi kyle sandilands with the same level of credibility.
Credibility ??????
You mean stupidity .........

For anyone to bagout any soldier for that matter , no matter who or what they think , should be instant dismisal from their field
Especially radio jocks
Its the soldiers wether whatever war , faught for us to have the moderate life and lifestyle we have
Theres an old digger up town , every year he is there selling ANZAC badges,pins, whatever , he donates his time for free
Some of the stories he has told me would make even the modest shed a tear

There were no posers in war time
No PC or any of that girly stuff
Men were men
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our NZ mate maybe right about them being lazy bludgers and thieves as we as a nation are just that now. it's true !
But that to say all aussies are, is just his point of view.

But that type of thing is in every country.
The pommies bag the aussies.
Hitler did not bag the aussies at all but admired them and only wished he had more the same.
We bag the yanks.
We bag the pommies.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they are just trying to flog a book, and what better way to do it than to spark contravercy so it now gets free media, and what better time to get lots of media attention for this type of rag than just before anzac day.

lets face it would the interview even have had any other air time if it was just a standard interview selling a book? and would doubt this interview would have even rasied an eyebrow if it was done in September

I'll beleive what I want to beleive about the ANZAC's and as some one who marched in the local ANZAC march yesterday I'm extreamly proud of Australias involvment in all conflicts arround the world

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I have no idea on what basis this person makes his claims.
Old 23-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I am sure this soon to be FORMER journalist will regret his comments...what an absolute disrepectful muppet!!

Last edited by Geez Louise; 23-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Geez Louise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #23
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
worse than sandywipe , much worse . To the poin t if he were not a native the Kiwi's would deport the odd little creature
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
BigBlue

Sounds like a NZ radio version of The Circle.

Say anything just so long as it gets people talking about the show.

It actually says more about the people saying it than about the topic.

Peter.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The author of the book has tried to now say that he was only referring to pre 1917, he reckons they became more disciplined and organised later on. I guess he's got the publicity he wanted now though.

Is it any real suprise if they may have been reluctant, the British tended to use them as cannon fodder and for diversions to protect British soldiers, but despite this they still faught bravely and with amazing courage, despite what they probably thought about their so called British superiors.

It just goes to show they weren't mindless sheep who were prepared to cop a raw deal.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #26
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The author of the book has tried to now say that he was only referring to pre 1917, he reckons they became more disciplined and organised later on. I guess he's got the publicity he wanted now though.

Is it any real suprise if they may have been reluctant, the British tended to use them as cannon fodder and for diversions to protect British soldiers, but despite this they still faught bravely and with amazing courage, despite what they probably thought about their so called British superiors.

It just goes to show they weren't mindless sheep who were prepared to cop a raw deal.
There is a book written by Joan Beaumont that apparently exposes much of the mythology that has built up over the years about the high quality of the Australian soldier. According to her, the British cop much of the blame for the pointless sacrifice of good Aussie men, when in fact, Australians were just as good at sacrificing their own troops.

We had an Anzac service today at the school I work at. The guest speaker was a 93 year old Kiwi who fought in the Australian army, attaining the rank of Major General. He was badly wounded in Crete by the Germans, but he said "Forget the Nazis or the Gestapo, the German soldier was the best in the whole war".

Something you don't hear every Anzac day...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Germans were so experienced by the time they came up against the allies later in the war, they were highly trained and very well equipped, and they were also drugged up on speed, to keep them awake and alert, and probably also to make them more aggressive.

Last edited by flappist; 24-04-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: link content inappropriate
Old 23-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #28
ryanstev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Sounds like these Kiwis are upset that Australia's diggers have such an awesome reputation for bravery and fighting skill, and they haven't been lumped in the same boat, so they need to cut them down to bring them down to their level.
As a Kiwi, I find this guy's comment disgusting, but everyone knows that the rest of us don't feel this way.
Unfortunately comments like yours don't help. Insult this guy all you want, but don't insult our troops in return.

Last edited by flappist; 24-04-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: quoting edited post
ryanstev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #29
danthefordman
Leftyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstev
As a Kiwi, I find this guy's comment disgusting, but everyone knows that the rest of us don't feel this way.
Unfortunately comments like yours don't help. Insult this guy all you want, but don't insult our troops in return.
Anyone who has been to Gallipoli and has seen what the soldiers faced both Turkish and Allied forces would not be making such comments about the poor bastards sent there to die. Who are any of us to judge what these men did when we ourselves have not faced the horrors of a war like Gallipoli. There are several memorials in the reserve, as you would expect, both for Allied troops and the Turks and one of those i found most moving was a speech made by Mustafa Ataturk (look him up if you dont know who he is) asking his men not to fight for their country but to die for their country. These are humbling words when read in the context of the battle and when read at the exact site where so many lost their lives. The truth is none of us will ever know the whole story about what happened over that 8 odd months of the conflict and it is not fair to cast aspersions or allegations when those men are no longer with us to defend themselves (not that they should have to). These men Turkish, British, French, Australian and New Zealand Soldiers gave their lives for their countries and very few of us can say that we have done or are prepared to do the same. It would be unfair of me to make the assumption that the person/people who is/are the subject of this thread has/have no concept of what they are talking about as i also know nothing about them. So i will refrain from making any further comment because as we know opinions are like ****holes, we all got em but we cant imagine that our own might just stink.
Old 24-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please keep this civil and on topic guys.

If this turns into a racist rant or kiwi bashing it will go away followed by the perpetrators.

P.S. The next swear filter avoidance will get a warning.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post