Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Cardigan Comes Of Toyota..TOYOTA TRD !!

The fight for the final frontier in Australian motoring has begun with Toyota firing up its special vehicles brand, TRD. It is starting with a TRD Aurion and HiLux at this month's Melbourne motor show. Both will be on sale before the end of the year.

A third model, not a TRD Corolla but probably something in the 4WD family, will follow. Toyota's objective is simple but difficult, even for Australia's No.1 carmaker — it must attack the special vehicles heartland occupied by Holden Special Vehicles and Ford Performance Vehicles.

Toyota Australia says it is not directly aiming at the homegrown heroes with TRD (Toyota Racing Developments), but it's obvious to anyone who knows the car business that the cars will be measured against the V8 hotrods from HSV and FPR.

Toyota is taking a different path with its TRD Aurion and HiLux, partly because it must (they have no V8 engines or rear-drive cars for the job) and partly because it believes it can win a slightly different following by going with supercharged V6 engines, more emphasis on comfort and refinement, and a slightly less obvious styling direction. However, the message is the same.

"This is how we show people we have thrown off the cardigan — forever," TRD corporate manager Greg Gardner says. Gardner leads a team of 15 at TRD, but is able to tap the talent at Toyota Style Australia and will rely on Prodrive, the British company that controls Ford Performance Vehicles, for final assembly of the TRD Aurion and HiLux in Melbourne.

The mechanics of the job are relatively straightforward: V6 engines, bigger wheels and tyres, improved brakes, upgraded seats and cabins, and predictable body bits.

But it is the packaging that is really tough, and doing it without any heritage. Gardner and his team have to win new customers without driving existing owners away.

"We don't want Toyota drivers to think it's too loud, but Toyota buyers must think it's more sporty. The key to attracting people to the Toyota brand is to have something different," he says. TRD has been in the works for more than two years, as has the Aurion. It is the final development of a project started with a supercharged Camry for motor show display and technical testing in engine bay, suspension, brakes, and more.

"The basics are there in the Aurion. It's a good chassis and a good base vehicle," Gardner says. "It is pointing in the right direction. It responds well.

"And the driving has come out well."

On the HiLux front, the TRD model is a double-cab four-wheel-drive with a supercharged 4.0-litre V6 engine.

The final pricing is still being set, together with the TRD presence in Toyota Australia showrooms, but Gardner is aiming for about 1000 cars in total in the first year and much more than that in impact.

"It's not huge volumes. But it is hugely important," he says. "We see this as a brand-building exercise, not incremental sales.

"I will be happy if a TRD car brings someone into a Toyota dealership and they buy something else in the range."

TRD is not talking about price or performance just yet. But the Aurion will have at least 235kW to be fed to the front wheels through its six-speed automatic gearbox. The focus for the HiLux is on torque. The Aurion has 18-inch alloy wheels, special sports seats and a body kit.

The HiLux, meanwhile, gets similar treatment — but with underdone alloys — and is pitched as a work-and-play family hauler.

"The TRD Aurion will be on sale on August 13 and the TRD HiLux on November 12."

Gardner is prepared to hint about Aurion pricing, but without going into details.

He says: "It's going to be more expensive than a Falcon XR6 Turbo or a Commodore SV8 ... but it won't be as expensive as an HSV or FPV car. It will not be priced against the Falcon XR6 turbo, though. It's a lot more than just an engine upgrade."

TRD has been a semi-official hot-up business in Japan since the 1970s, and made a successful transition to the US in the 1980s. The TRD logo has been on racing cars and came to Australia in 2006 on the sides of the championship-winning Corollas campaigned by Neal Bates and Simon Evans in the Australian Rally Championship.

It is also attached to all sorts of go-faster parts for cars throughout the Toyota range.

The chief designer employed on the TRD project certainly knows a bit more than most about special vehicles.

Long before he joined Toyota Australia, Paul Beranger headed Nissan Special Vehicles and was the man who brought the Skyline GT-R to Australian showrooms as a local model.

Herald-Sun

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Besides the wheels i like it, looked great at the motorshow and Toyota have a pretty good history of making good performance engines hopefully this one is no differn't.

Still a shame it's FWD & Auto only though...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sleep:
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Front wheel drive???? Sporty ladies car.
Old 20-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

I think everyone is going to **** can this car so bad till an awd / rwd variant comes out, then it will be serious enough to take note of.
I like it, and I think it will do really well.
IS there any concrete info on what will be under the hood, figures etc??
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks pretty sexy. And sexy is good
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

That car is howling out for all wheel drive. Until that happens it will always be seen as a wannabe performance car. Dont pack the cardies just yet.
Old 20-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks good but i don't see how it will out do the rivals from Ford (XR6T) and Holden (SS-V). At the price they're asking it will sell to a select few in the Toyota fan base. However it is good to see another brand stepping up to the plate. Toyota have very deep pockets so while this one maybe a bit of a dud, further R&D into the next model could be a winner.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Dezza
Parts bin special

The name TRD still makes me think it's missing the letter U from between the T and the R

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
The name TRD still makes me think it's missing the letter U from between the T and the R

BINGO :

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
mean & green
EL XR6

Gardner is prepared to hint about Aurion pricing, but without going into details.

He says: "It's going to be more expensive than a Falcon XR6 Turbo or a Commodore SV8 ... but it won't be as expensive as an HSV or FPV car. It will not be priced against the Falcon XR6 turbo, though. It's a lot more than just an engine upgrade."

:

xr6 turbo is more than just an eingine upgade over an xt is'nt it?

or am i wrong?
mean & green is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

pretty much wrong, apart from bodykit and badges and donk. ok your right..?? or am I wrong??
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL I can see gramps in a riced up TRD lining me up at the lights now

Oh well sure beats them doing 20km/h under the speed limit :

In all seriousness it looks not bad but still no AWD or RWD. Too big for FWD.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #14
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

TRD Hilux is a good idea, dont know about the Aurion, but every model needs its hero.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #15
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
TRD Hilux is a good idea, dont know about the Aurion, but every model needs its hero.
Yeah I'd look at one,have always bought hilux for the work/everyday car,the new 4.0 V6 5spd auto goes real well,a supercharged one would be awsome..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #16
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Yeah I'd look at one,have always bought hilux for the work/everyday car,the new 4.0 V6 5spd auto goes real well,a supercharged one would be awsome..
I reakon they will sell heaps of them. You see plenty of pimped up new ones. Now they are going to have a ripper motor aswell.

Also will match the people they buy say quad bikes, or dirt bikes and jet ski's etc etc.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well lets just hop and pray that Toyota don't take a leaf out of Jeeps handbook and make a 13 second Hilux.

Lining up at the lights in your bling++ FPV only to get thrashed by a couple of tradies going to the pub after work......

How embarrasment.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #18
Walkinshaw
Two > One

looks pretty damn good. mount the gear box the other way round and drive it backwards

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #19
GT-E

Old 21-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #20
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
Oh dear!
You and OutbackJack might want to qualify that statement and your pedjudices a bit more. Otherwise there are some very quick FWD's that could tear a lot of RWD's a new bellybutton in circuit racing.

Even in the wet.

I agree that larger cars (Magna, Camry) with big HP through the front hoops are starting to push uphill with a pointy stick. Just try and remember that not ALL FWD's suck.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 21-03-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 12:46 AM   #21
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

It'll be interesting to see what rrp on the hilux will be,isnt a new sr5 twincab already about 60k?I'd think the trd will be pretty hefty in price going by that.
Old 21-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #22
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's interesting to read the marketing blurb about how they're scared to alienate toyota owners by going too racy with their image. Racy worked quite well in the 80s when they released corollas with twin cam 16 written down the side in six inch high letters. I guess people will judge them on how good the vehicle is but I can't see them winning too many converts if they aiming to be dearer than an SS or XR turbo.
Let's just ponder that for a minute, will I settle for an XR 6 turbo or stretch to a typhoon, oh wait a minute I could go something in the middle and buy a TRD........ don't think so.
Regards,
Tote
Old 21-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #23
mbukukanyau
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
This is the best quote ever
mbukukanyau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #24
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
LOL I can see gramps in a riced up TRD lining me up at the lights now
Dont be too cocky, on a rolling run with a bug eyed Rexxy the Aurion beat it by two car lengths... s/c will definately be a quick little unit.. Regardless of what wheels are powered!

I don't see the problem with where it will be priced. As Toyota does, the vehicle will be specced up as good if not better than something like a Typhoon.. guaranteed it will have all the tricks like electric seats and sat nav as standard.
Old 21-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #25
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
"We don't want Toyota drivers to think it's too loud, but Toyota buyers must think it's more sporty. The key to attracting people to the Toyota brand is to have something different," he says.
And this is where Toyota need to improve - why dont they want Toyota drivers to "think its too loud"? Because they know they are boring, cardigan wearers? Pretty good way to insult your customers IMO. Can't they remeber the Twin turbo Supra, the V8 Soarer, the supercharged Corolla and 20V version ect. These won them many fans but they are too scared to go back to them for some reason...They won't be winning any young buyers which is what they need to do (they already have most of the oldies stiched up after all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Err, from the same article the TRD Aurion consists of (drumroll).... body kit, wheels, seats and engine. How exactly is that different from an XR6T, which from memory is body kit, wheels, seats, engine, and transmission (over an XT).

I think the Hilux will sell like hotcakes (I would be interested in one to as it is so versitile) but the Aurion with its 235kw through FWD? How exactly will that work? Also seems a bit underpowered if they say they are targeting FPV and HSV and not Ford and Holden. Entry level FPV is 270kw...Supercharged 6 is also a lot more $$$ to modify (not that you would want to with FWD) than a turbo 6.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #26
XR8putts

Torque steer anyone?
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #27
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well lets just hop and pray that Toyota don't take a leaf out of Jeeps handbook and make a 13 second Hilux.

Lining up at the lights in your bling++ FPV only to get thrashed by a couple of tradies going to the pub after work......

How embarrasment.......
Hahah,A mate got just such an embarrasement the other night in his vx commo,the lux gave him quite a shock,the funny part is the canopy was full of tools,pity I hadnt heard of these new beasts a month ago....
I reckon there are already 13 second Hilux's out though,the 4.0 V6 in a cab chassis manual,fitted with slicks :
Mines the auto dual cab,so I cant test my theory
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Dont be too cocky, on a rolling run with a bug eyed Rexxy the Aurion beat it by two car lengths... s/c will definately be a quick little unit.. Regardless of what wheels are powered!

I don't see the problem with where it will be priced. As Toyota does, the vehicle will be specced up as good if not better than something like a Typhoon.. guaranteed it will have all the tricks like electric seats and sat nav as standard.
WRX's aren't that fast once they are rolling. They are quick off the line but thats about it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #29
peterban
AULTD

Wonder who thought of the name Toyota TRD, probably some overpaid marketing exec!!!
Any time I see one I will only think of what dogs leave behind on the nature strips.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post