Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
matty220

Default mondeo or telstar

hi everyone thinking about buying my wife a car looking at telstar or mondeo does anyone have a reccomendation or drive impression thanks

matty220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty220
hi everyone thinking about buying my wife a car looking at telstar or mondeo does anyone have a reccomendation or drive impression thanks
Buy her a 4cyl manual telstar, the one with the 2,2 3 valve engine. They would be cheap as chips now.

If you want a later one, there's the v6 models but they drink lots. I was driven around in a 97 model or such, actually it was the 626, same car of course, and I was impressed with the auto takeoff even though it was a 4 cyl.

The last model TX5 Ghias always appealed to me.

I have friends who have a mondeo, not the first model but the second (I think), looks really tinny compared the the Telstars.

Just test drive 2-3 of each model and you'll sort it out soon enough.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Mum recently sold her 93 TX5 Ghia 4cyl, it was quite a nice car to drive, went well & was very economical. Didn't really have any problems in the time she had it. I haven't driven a Mondeo, but I think they are pretty cheap for what they are as they aren't as popular.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
XRchic
Hello

My Mum had a 1992 TX5 Ghia and kept it until two years ago. It was totally reliable, very economical and looked a lot better than the Mondeo. It was auto, so it didnt go that well, but it was well fitted out inside. If you get one, try and find a manual. But then with any car that size you wouldnt want to touch an auto.

Hve driven a couple of Mondeos. Besides being ugly, they are plain inside and I didnt like it.

Have you considered a new Fiesta or Focus? Both are good options if a small or medium cars are a must, and MUCH safer, with airbags, etc.

You might want to also consider the Mazda 626 - the last one before the Mazda 6 came out. They are nice cars of that size too.

Good luck

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DONT buy a mondeo, previosuly being a mechanic and presently a parts interpreter I can tell you that the parts are expensive, hard to come buy and any repairs will take longer therefore cost more. And they just generally suck.

Telstars are mechanicly basic, therefore cheap parts and redily avaliable. Much nicer car. As GK said early 90's 4cyl 12valve is the best way to go, repairs on the later motor v6 telstar can be expensive to.

Good luck.

You could also buy something other than a ford? *hiding*
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post