Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default Speed cameras arent for revenue

I heard an interview this morning with Ken Lay and John Brumby. The premier was sprouting that speed camera revenue is never taken into account as a budgetary income. I nearly punched the stereo when I heard it!!
How many times have I heard that the gov 'expected' $xxx from xxx camera.

He then went on to say he would be happy if they received no money from them.

I say put your money where your mouth is and only take points for speeding fines.

I cant believe the influx in new cameras in the last 3 months or so. How many 'black spots' or 'notorious intersections' do we have on the one stretch of road?

I am so damn sick of this, is was a joke before, but its getting passed the point of utterly ridiculous.
I think this gov is going to find themselves in an uncomfortable position soon. I know where my vote is going next election.

:

Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh gawd- another rant on speed camera revenue. Doesn't matter which government is in power, once a cash cow has been released, it will never be put to bed.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 things became absolutely crystal clear from that interview;

1) The Brumby Govt and Police are absolutely in love with speed cameras and they will NEVER be removed and

2) The Govt and Police are absolutely 100% convinced a new recreational motorsport facility will NEVER reduce the road toll and supporting one will be seen as a "reward" for "hoons" and possibly make the problem worse by encouraging "improper use of a vehicle"......
L.Hamilton was used as an example.

They both did concede however that "car enthusiasts" and "hoons" are not necessarily one and the same....

Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Speed cameras arent for revenue

Is this another April Fools Day gags :
Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Arkturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor

Haha exactly what I was thinking!
Arkturus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor

Must be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VMan
They both did concede however that "car enthusiasts" and "hoons" are not necessarily one and the same....
Looks like two furfies in that story to me!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
2 things became absolutely crystal clear from that interview;

1) The Brumby Govt and Police are absolutely in love with speed cameras and they will NEVER be removed and

2) The Govt and Police are absolutely 100% convinced a new recreational motorsport facility will NEVER reduce the road toll and supporting one will be seen as a "reward" for "hoons" and possibly make the problem worse by encouraging "improper use of a vehicle"......
L.Hamilton was used as an example.

Exactly, and that is not what I want my government to do...November cant come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

I hope there is some sort of voice for the 'car enthusiast' during the campaigning. With 42,000 members here alone, surely there are enough enthusiasts to cause an impression.

OT: Could we get somewhere if we call it a motoring 'culture'... Australia seems more than willing to bend over for every other 'culture' why not ours? :
Old 01-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is ther a link to the station or pod cast or somthing
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If speed camera's aren't about revenue, make the demerit points double, triple, even quadruple what they are now.

See how many people will speed when it'll take 1/4 of the infringements to lose their licence.

People can live without $165, most can't without their licences.

Oh, that's right, NSW already do this on holiday weekends and their road tolls are generally the same on those weekends... Hmmm, funny that.

The moral? People are going to right themselves off whatever the government says and however many cameras they stick on the roads. No matter how much money the raise from these things, the only thing that will make a real dent in the road toll is driver education. Make advanced driving courses mandatory for every person wishing to obtain their licence. Getting a licence should be a privilege, not a right.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
wonk123
Starter Motor

WHy do you believe anything a government says? Do you think pokies would be legal if the government weren't getting 100s of millions ??
wonk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I heard an interview this morning with Ken Lay and John Brumby. The premier was sprouting that speed camera revenue is never taken into account as a budgetary income. I nearly punched the stereo when I heard it!!

I say put your money where your mouth is and only take points for speeding fines.
I cant believe the influx in new cameras in the last 3 months or so. How many 'black spots' or 'notorious intersections' do we have on the one stretch of road?

I am so damn sick of this, is was a joke before, but its getting passed the point of utterly ridiculous.
I think this gov is going to find themselves in an uncomfortable position soon. I know where my vote is going next election.

:
now that has merit, ppl dont want to lose their lincence so yes let's see govco put their money where there mouth is.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonk123
WHy do you believe anything a government says? Do you think pokies would be legal if the government weren't getting 100s of millions ??
Look on the bright side.. imagine how much more our income taxes would be if there was no revenue from speed cameras, pokies or cigarettes...???!!!

Atleast with these forms of revenue i have a choice about if i pay or not... there's no choice with income tax.

Old 28-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

4vman has a point. Once governments get used to the additional revenue they recieve from speeding, alcohol, ciggarettes, etc, it will not be removed, as the loss of this revenue means they would need to find other alternate revenue sources.
Imagine if you started getting $200 per week from your mate. And it looks like he will never stop giving you that money. And then you realize he will increase the payment if you punch his arm. And so you start spending this money on, say, a new mortgage. You keep punching, he keeps giving you more. You get used to it, what if he just stopped? You wouldn't be too happy to lose that cash cow now would you?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Look on the bright side.. imagine how much more our income taxes would be if there was no revenue from speed cameras, pokies or cigarettes...???!!!

Atleast with these forms of revenue i have a choice about if i pay or not... there's no choice with income tax.

Don't forget alcohol and petrol they're a nice money earner.
Old 28-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Don't forget alcohol and petrol they're a nice money earner.
Yep, very true...

People only focus on pain associated with the revenue..

Dont forget they spend it back on us too.... If "we" were less demanding there'd be less need for raising revenue...

Old 28-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
what an unaustralian, nanny statist thing to say
why should someone who lives within the rules get a choice - i thought the only ones who should get choices are the ones that screw it up for us all

it is amazing isn't it. we have a choice, but still complain that we are unfairly treated

Last edited by gtxb67; 28-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
SVD

Quote:
Yep, very true...

People only focus on pain associated with the revenue..

Dont forget they spend it back on us too.... If "we" were less demanding there'd be less need for raising revenue...
i fail to see how them having paid holidays sorry, work retreats... is spending it on us...not to mention all the free ******** they give themselves and their huge pay packets and their nice retirement funds etc...

Did i miss anything they actually spend road revenue on? because they definitely don't spend it on trying to improve road quality, or giving us a bypass which will be free sorry again, tolled...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
i fail to see how them having paid holidays sorry, work retreats... is spending it on us...not to mention all the free ******** they give themselves and their huge pay packets and their nice retirement funds etc...

Did i miss anything they actually spend road revenue on? because they definitely don't spend it on trying to improve road quality, or giving us a bypass which will be free sorry again, tolled...
"You pay peanuts you get monkeys"

Politicians would be some of the lowest paid professionals in the workforce if you analysed their hrs of work, intrussion and stress...
I wouldnt do what they do for the cr@p money they get....

What % of total revenue goes to politicians costs? less than a % of a % id say...

Here's a thought... maybe if they paid decent wages to pollies we'd attract better skilled people from the private sector....

Last edited by 4Vman; 28-04-2010 at 07:03 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #19
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

Here's a thought... maybe if they paid decent wages to pollies we'd attract better skilled people from the private sector....
The MD at my work is the highest paid of any state/territory owned corporation in Australia. His pay is twice that of the PM. We have a $4B turnover and make $0.5B, the Australian economy is ~$1,000B.

But his pay pales into insignificance against the bank & mining CEO's. They would make 20 times the PM.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #20
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

:
Yes, they definitely are for revenue purposes. About 6 years ago a speed camera got installed at the bottom of Jesmond/Nth Lambton hill. When that happened I knew that the much promised bypass (which would take probably 1/3rd of the traffic away) would not be built anytime soon. Still hasn't.

On the Pacific Hwy around Macksville, Urunga leading up to Coffs Harbour there are about 6 cameras within 50km. Several at the beginning and end of overtaking lanes... With the exception of one camera which will still be used on the dual carriageway, these places will be the last to have the bypasses and dual carriageways built. Sadly, these places also included roads which had 4 deaths whilst on holiday there last week.

Plenty of police on the TV talking about the tragic loss of life (it is), but where were the cops sitting, around Coffs Harbour in the 50 zone at the bottom of a hill after you leave a 60 zone. Facing the downhill traffic after dark.

End rant.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #21
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Politicians would be some of the lowest paid professionals in the workforce if you analysed their hrs of work, intrussion and stress...

What % of total revenue goes to politicians costs? less than a % of a % id say...

I'll agree with there and i think we should pay them better.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
Bluntman
Loves the blunt

The private sector??? Do you really think there are better people there?

It seems every large company I know is run buy idiots and staffed by them to. No one cares about their job anymore or takes pride in it. Its always someone else fault.

Stupidity is becoming an epidemic in this country. The fact the government thinks every problem on the road is caused by speeding alone, and the fact most of the population agree is proof of that.
Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntman
The private sector??? Do you really think there are better people there?

It seems every large company I know is run buy idiots and staffed by them to. No one cares about their job anymore or takes pride in it. Its always someone else fault.

Stupidity is becoming an epidemic in this country. The fact the government thinks every problem on the road is caused by speeding alone, and the fact most of the population agree is proof of that.
ABSOLUTELY

In the private sector incompetence leads to termination not promotion........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #24
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
ABSOLUTELY

In the private sector incompetence leads to termination not promotion........
But with a 'Thank you' package, that a lottery winner would be jealous of.
Old 29-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The problem is they do it for the POWER not the MONEY.

Also in the party system we are stuck with, it is not the "best and brightest" who gets the gig it is the "most connected" and "done their time".

I personally know of complete morons who were failures at school, could not hold a job anywhere in the private sector who joined the party then were "placed" in jobs with QNGOS, gradually promoted into management and earn huge amounts doing almost nothing.
One actually was put up as a candidate for state but managed to poll LESS than the donkey vote (which means even people who did not care did not vote for him).

The other problem is the public sector "culture". Many people cannot function in a situation where a job must be done wrongly or in a very inefficent way because that it how the manager has told you to do it. Many people actually personally care about their quality of service, take ownership of problems and grief caused to customers and try to solve them. This also does not go well with public sector "culture".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #26
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets have a look at the other side of the coin, if the cameras are not there for revenue then as the government suggests they must be for safety - however with an increase in the road toll they obviously failed and must be removed and those accountable for their introduction should be punished accordingly for wasting tax payers money.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #27
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The problem is they do it for the POWER not the MONEY.

Also in the party system we are stuck with, it is not the "best and brightest" who gets the gig it is the "most connected" and "done their time".

I personally know of complete morons who were failures at school, could not hold a job anywhere in the private sector who joined the party then were "placed" in jobs with QNGOS, gradually promoted into management and earn huge amounts doing almost nothing.
I prefer them to do almost nothing - best to seem incompentent rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt. Imagine how good Australia would be if people like Bligh, Brumby, Wong and Garrett did nothing? (Bligh too many things to list, Brumby Myki, speed cameras and various road safety campaigns, Wong ETS, Garrett Insulation - just as examples)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
Terraplainin'

I’m reluctant to enter this thread, as there will be the violent “If you don’t break the law, nothing can happen” vs. the “Why on earth did we get rid of prima facie limits on open roads? Oh, that’s right, state government revenue” debate. Like the theory of anthropological global warming, each side is passionately convinced of their own virtue, and the other side are the Antichrist. I’ll leave you to guess which side I’m on (a tip; don’t pick option a).

However, I have to make the point that if you, personally, want to change the laws of the state in which you live then join the political party of your choice and advocate a change of policy. There is no way any amount of forum bleating, newspaper letter writing or wishing it were otherwise will make one iota of difference.

I don’t have a great deal of optimism that becoming politically active will have much of an effect either, but I am certain that it’s the best of all possible options if you personally want to make a measureable impact on the debate. Then, once enough people have influenced party policy to make some difference, ensure that you, and those that will listen to you, vote the right way.

Last edited by Terraplainin'; 29-04-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: sp, d'oh
Terraplainin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #29
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraplainin'
I’m reluctant to enter this thread, as there will be the violent “If you don’t break the law, nothing can happen” vs. the “Why on earth did we get rid of prima facie limits on open roads? Oh, that’s right, state government revenue” debate. Like the theory of anthropological global warming, each side is passionately convinced of their own virtue, and the other side are the Antichrist. I’ll leave you to guess which side I’m on (a tip; don’t pick option a).

However, I have to make the point that if you, personally, want to change the laws of the state in which you live then join the political party of your choice and advocate a change of policy. There is no way any amount of forum bleating, newspaper letter writing or wishing it were otherwise will make one iota of difference.

I don’t have a great deal of optimism that becoming politically active will have much of an effect either, but I am certain that it’s the best of all possible options if you personally want to make a measureable impact on the debate. Then, once enough people have influenced party policy to make some difference, ensure that you, and those that will listen to you, vote the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Getting a licence should be a privilege, not a right..
It more or less is now anyway. To all intents and purposes any one has the right to apply for one, but obtaining & keeping are a privilege.

I think the operative word you are looking for may be "maintain" Obtaining & maintaining a drivers license should be more rigorous & comprehensive, I have always got on my soap box & advocated that. If more & more people were able to drive more competently and with more consideration and courtesy...there's a good chance there would be less need for 5,636,947 speed cameras, +/- 1% tollerances and riduculously low and pointless speed limits.

Having said that; it would matter not that there were less revenue as a by-product as the Gummint of the day would merely focus it's attention on other ways of reaping such plunder...and [we] would all be complaining about that too.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #30
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:

Exactly! don't speed or run red lights and it will cost you nothing.
Income tax increases will cost EVERYONE