Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

Default Warning to all those with dash screens

Hey all,

sunday night heading out to dinner and got pulled over at one of those massive drug & grog testing trucks on springy rd. which i have no problem with at all.
all clear from the 1st cop and then a couple of others are having a quick look over the car which is fine also. (im sitting on g-grid 2 so thick rubber they barely needed to look)

then another cop tells me to move to the side and has a looky inside the car.

he misses the fact theres no doorhandles inside
he misses the fact the steering wheel has no padding
he misses the fact theres no shifter....its a flat head screw driver.
he misses the fact wiring is all over the place
he misses the fact im using racing seats with no engineers cert.

and then he says.....btw you arent allowed those screens in the dash.
i asked why (just interested i wasnt rude about it)
and he said you just arent allowed them so ill let you go but next time ill be more serious.
so i said its got a motion sensor so it wont display video when driving (cough bullshit cough) and he said ohh ok..enjoy you night.

ive looked over vic roads and they dont mention anything nor do they mention SAT NAVS which have coloured and moving screens. so i just dont know anymore.

my advice to all is fold the screen up or turn off when you get pulled over.

thought id let you guys know.
brad

Blue Power Airbox, Sunroof, Typhoon Wheels, Brembos, Prem Sound, Momo Chunky Wheel, Genuine FPV Gauge Holder, Whiteline Swaybars, Lowered, Tinted Windows, 60lb Injectors, Plazmaman Cooler, Hot Side & Under Battery Pipes, 4" Dump & Cat, Process West Surge Tank & Bosch 044, Turbo Inline Oil Filter
BRADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSPENCER85
Hey all,

sunday night heading out to dinner and got pulled over at one of those massive drug & grog testing trucks on springy rd. which i have no problem with at all.
all clear from the 1st cop and then a couple of others are having a quick look over the car which is fine also. (im sitting on g-grid 2 so thick rubber they barely needed to look)

then another cop tells me to move to the side and has a looky inside the car.

and then he says.....btw you arent allowed those screens in the dash.
i asked why (just interested i wasnt rude about it)
and he said you just arent allowed them so ill let you go but next time ill be more serious.
so i said its got a motion sensor so it wont display video when driving (cough bullshit cough) and he said ohh ok..enjoy you night.

ive looked over vic roads and they dont mention anything nor do they mention SAT NAVS which have coloured and moving screens. so i just dont know anymore.

my advice to all is fold the screen up or turn off when you get pulled over.

thought id let you guys know.
brad
my advice would be to fix your interior!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Tiga_EL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
my advice would be to fix your interior!
LMAO Exactly what i was thinking
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

You can have em. They're not allowed to be on while the car is in motion though.

My bet is that:
- He was just a duty cop and doesn't know his **** from his elbow
- He had a long night and couldn't be stuffed pointing out all the illegal stuff
- You got lucky.

Ones in the back seat are allowed to be on while driving, but front seat ones are a no-no.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

thanks shuresm58, i had a feeling thats what he was getting at.
the annoying part is i use my screen to show the next 8 tracks that are coming up....so theres almost no motion and almost no colour (stock light blue blackground).
hence why i dont want to move it or remove it.
anyways just thought i would let all know they are getting real picky now.

brad

Blue Power Airbox, Sunroof, Typhoon Wheels, Brembos, Prem Sound, Momo Chunky Wheel, Genuine FPV Gauge Holder, Whiteline Swaybars, Lowered, Tinted Windows, 60lb Injectors, Plazmaman Cooler, Hot Side & Under Battery Pipes, 4" Dump & Cat, Process West Surge Tank & Bosch 044, Turbo Inline Oil Filter
Old 03-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
EFFalcon
Last warning

Screens are meant to be hooked upto Handbrake switch and thus turned off while moving.
unless its GPS.
i'd recommend fitting a switch so u can flick it off if a cop is around.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

Does anyone here know what the go with CarPC's is?

I am building one for the wagon, and plan to mould a touch screen into the dash as the control unit

Would that need to be somehow hooked to the handbrake to be legal?

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

yeah its a fully electric screen....so from now on ill press the off button hence retracting screen and turning it off. i just wish i didnt have to turn it off.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

carputers are the same.....any type of screen other than gps it seems is a no no

Old 03-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Quote:
anyways just thought i would let all know they are getting real picky now.
Indeed.

Quick (serious) question: why a screw driver instead of a shifer? I thought screw drivers were for unlocking XF bootlids only?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

Quote:
carputers are the same.....any type of screen other than gps it seems is a no no
:(

ill have to wire a switch to the screen it seems so i can turn it off when needed...

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Indeed.

Quick (serious) question: why a screw driver instead of a shifer? I thought screw drivers were for unlocking XF bootlids only?

Hahaha there good for more than just screws and bootlids.

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

basicly....i had a b&m megashifter and ive been playing with angles / mounting points and shaft lengths. however the most i could get was PRND3 2nd sometimes. basicly id had the shits with it so ripped it out sunday morning.
i only had time to put the stock shifter plate & shaft on before i had to go out for dinner.
so what i did was used the flathead as the pin as i couldnt find the shift pin (still looking)
becuase in the fords its a push down the allow shifter to move thru gears hence screw driver being the easiest way to push the pin down n allow changes.

brad

Old 03-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Ahh, don't worry you're not the only one who can't find all the gears ;)

I'm guilty too
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Police who have just graduated are usually the suckers that have to do the Drug/Booze Bus Duty's ..............

You can't have a dash screen which is playing video or tv or the like whilst your car is on the move.....

You can have a dash screen that works as a Head Unit......

But as you said to be on the safe side I would turn it off in police presence.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #16
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

yeah they have to go off while drive, but thats only for motion picture, if you got music playing like an mp3 or cd, they stay on, but not as a movie...so how would you go about that if a cop said the screen has to be off:S?
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
yeah its a fully electric screen....so from now on ill press the off button hence retracting screen and turning it off. i just wish i didnt have to turn it off.
yeah, i understand, it must be such a hassle to push a button once in a blue moon!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #18
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And what's the next post going to read?,

i was running late for Dinner so i jammed in a screw driver and was pulled up by a copper who was a hard a$$, winge winge.

He done me for illegal seats, wiring, steerinng wheel, etc and now because on unfair coppers i can't drive my crappy sheite on the road.

The bright side is i can watch my DVD screen while it sits in the drive way and i fix it up.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #19
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

mrcrackers - ha ha

its not a pain as in omg its so hard to turn off....its the point of it all, if its not motion i cant see why it should be "illegal" or "wrong". moving pictures or movies i can understand because it would take your eyes off the road because of flashing and so on....but a still image showing the names of tracks coming up is what i didnt (want to) understand.

brad

Old 03-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #20
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
And what's the next post going to read?,

i was running late for Dinner so i jammed in a screw driver and was pulled up by a copper who was a hard a$$, winge winge.

He done me for illegal seats, wiring, steerinng wheel, etc and now because on unfair coppers i can't drive my crappy sheite on the road.

The bright side is i can watch my DVD screen while it sits in the drive way and i fix it up.
Dam you beat me to it.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #21
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

hmm maybe some people should read the top of the thread......a warning....
the post originally started as a advice thread from something i experienced however some people are turning it into a personal attack. hell why even have the website if no ones gonna read and or listen to advice.

brad

Old 03-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
hmm maybe some people should read the top of the thread......a warning....
the post originally started as a advice thread from something i experienced however some people are turning it into a personal attack. hell why even have the website if no ones gonna read and or listen to advice.

brad
it wasn't the 'warning' aspect of it, it was just amusing to me how you said it was a hassle to turn off a screen, on the odd chance you are pulled over. I thought it was common knowledge/sense that screens weren't allowed. They are fine if you're not moving, but must be turned off when driving, as john said, wired to the handbrake. I was also told by another cop that they can operate while moving, as long as the screen is not visible to the driver.. eg hard angled to the passenger side etc. It's nothing to do with what you have on it at the time (you said you use it for track lists), it's the fact is has the potential to play video.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #23
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate don't take it to heart , it's a forum. You were very lucky to get a good copper, who did you a few favours, as i see it he could have slammed you big time but did not.

All i suppose is being said is you may not be so lucky next time and in addition we all drive on the roads and knowing people are out there with a screw driver as a shifter is nothing to be proud of, in an emergancy or at any time that could have turned ugly and then people get hurt.

It's bad enough now out there on the roads without adding to it. and in a way the peple here are just saying for your self and others spend half a day and tidy it up so it's safe to drive, for you , your passengers and other road users.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #24
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

mr crackers - you hit the nail on the head

"i thought it was common knowledge"

this is the problem. it does clearly state what the rules are hence my comment...i looked over vic roads n cant find anything

Old 03-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #25
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from Part 18 of Australian Road Rules ( http://rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulatio...nloads/p18.pdf ):

"299 Television receivers and visual display units in motor
vehicles
(1) A driver must not drive a motor vehicle that has a television
receiver or visual display unit in or on the vehicle operating
while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, if
any part of the image on the screen:
(a) is visible to the driver from the normal driving position; or
(b) is likely to distract another driver.
Offence provision.
Note Motor vehicle and park are defined in the dictionary, and vehicle is
defined in rule 15.
(2) This rule does not apply to the driver if:
(a) the driver is driving a bus and the visual display unit is, or
displays, a destination sign or other bus sign; or
(b) the visual display unit is, or is part of, a driver’s aid; or
(c) the driver or vehicle is exempt from this rule under
another law of this jurisdiction.
Examples of driver’s aids
1 Closed-circuit television security cameras.
2 Dispatch systems.
3 Navigational or intelligent highway and vehicle system equipment.
4 Rearview screens.
5 Ticket-issuing machines.
6 Vehicle monitoring devices.
Note Bus is defined in the dictionary."

I can't find anything on fitting of these units or the requirement for a switch. It seems the rule only applies if there is an image on the screen => It's on. You can't even turn it on at the traffic lights if you can see the screen when driving.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #26
EFFalcon
Last warning

vehicle monitoring devices... so a laptop of the passenger seat is completely legal! :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #27
frd_crzer
:D:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
vehicle monitoring devices... so a laptop of the passenger seat is completely legal! :P
as far i i know john it is. none of my mates have been told off for doing that
Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #28
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
I suppose running Megatune on a 15" screen is A-ok.

"its ok officer, im just monitoring my spark advance table, see 18 of Australian Road Rules"

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #29
heydonms
Starter Motor

I think you would be able to argue that showing song titles would be acceptable as long as it wasnt moving pictures.

My boss's BA XR6 has a video screen showing the radio frequency, volume etc. Basically information relating to the stereo system. I don't see how song titles are any different.
heydonms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #30
frd_crzer
:D:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydonms
I think you would be able to argue that showing song titles would be acceptable as long as it wasnt moving pictures.

My boss's BA XR6 has a video screen showing the radio frequency, volume etc. Basically information relating to the stereo system. I don't see how song titles are any different.
that was built into the head unit we are talking aftermarket stuff. i know u can get CD players with screens n that but some cars have dvd screens in the front they dont work unless your hand break is up