Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Closed Thread

Old 16-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Default A touchy subject!!! (Non-Engineered Turbo)

Hello all,

Well after a decent search resulted in no luck i have decided to post a new thread regarding a question i have for you turbo-converted people..

Let me say first up only post if you feel confident disclosing info on the internet..

My questions are..

Who here has a turbo on a non-turbo car but isn't engineered/legal.. What sort of police/other trouble have you had regarding the legalities of your setup..

Also, say for example, i was to fit a turbo to my ED futura.. i go driving and get pulled over for an RBT.. Police look under bonnet and see the turbo.. Wat would come after this?? Defect, impound, fine??.. I am just contemplating my turbo setup and yer..

I am mainly interested in peoples experiences in VIC and NSW..

I understand this is a touchy subject for some but feel free to PM me if you don't wish to disclose info on a public forum..

Cheers,
Nik

Old 16-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
bentles
Banned

hey mate im not 100% on this but if you get done for having a turbo which is not engineered, you have X much time to get the car sorted and then brought in for emissions tests, and whatever else, and as far as i have read its no different to being too low or being too loud. just convert it back to stock before the test and pass with flying colours and then convert it back again afterwards. lots of time wasted doing this but other than a lot of wasted time i dont think there are any fines/demerit points attached to it.

i could be mistaken however.
Old 16-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

That is wat i suspected but i thought maybe with all the new hoon laws and stuff that it may have gotten nastier..

If that is the case would i have to pay for the emissions test or would a roadworthy suffice..

Please people i am trying to decide if i can the turbo or not.. I have had the hit sitting there for 6 months now and yer legalities are my main deterent.. Takes me about a day to remove the turbo, manifold and cooler piping and make back to stock..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 16-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
bentles
Banned

is the car you are planning on turboing a daily? if so and the legalities are a bit of a concern to you, and there is actually a lot of $ to be lost or car to be impounded then id say dont bother with it as you will be scared to take the car out. if its just a weekender nowadays then its a little easier to do as you dont have to worry if the car is on the road on monday to get you to work or school or whatever
Old 16-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Well the car is my daily but i do own another registered vehicle which can be used to get to work, etc..

My original plan was to do things all legal but $2500 for emissions and engineering just seems extreme to me.. and thats if i pass first time..

Although as a few have said for peace of mind there is no price..

Since i have had my full licence (~6 months) i haven't really been pulled over.. maybe 2 or 3 times.. So i have been feeling a little more confident with regard to turboing my car..

If the fines and the rest are extreme then i will prob get it all done legal but i would basically have to change my car back to stock.. remove rims, stereo, part of interior.. so that would be a hassle too but would only be till all the legal stuff was done..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 16-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
bentles
Banned

yeh if i ever turboed mine, it wouldnt be a $3k hack job, id get it done properly and engineered and even then it would be easier to buy a ba xr6t and mod that haha.
Old 17-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
EFFalcon
Last warning

6 months turbo'd, probably about 15,000km's under its belt, no Cop issues.
cops havnt looked twice even at RBT's.
maybe its just luck but so far so good.

if i get done, turbo comes off, stock stuff goes on.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 17-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
-jjM-
Banned

It would work out allot cheaper to not get engineered and EPA tested/passed.

As far as I see it its all revenue raising in one way.

When I'm boosted and ever get defected for it it will be as john said "turbo comes off, stock stuff goes on"

If you are one of them people that don't like to get there hands dirty and don't have the mechanical mind for it I suggest you get it all done (so called) legit, so if the enevatable ever does happen you don't have to pay your mechanic the cashola to reverse everything. (Which I don't think he will be to keen on anyways)

But yes we do 'not' encourage illegal activities on this forum.
Old 17-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty much you'll be stuck for words, and you'll get done, you just have to pray your car isnt eye candy enough for a bonnet lift, i know mine is, duno how many times they were praying for a big V8 under mine, so they could get me for power to wieght (somehow they beilive theres no replacement for displacement here in werribee)
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Old 17-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

With a paintjob like yours, plates, stereo and big wheels, it's a wonder you haven't gotten pulled over already. Just put the turbo stuff on and make it as stealth as you can, and don't even think twice about it.

That's my two cents.

I'm Kent Brockman.
Old 17-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would never bother 'properly' engineering an e-series in Vic, even after you do get the emmisions and engineers certificate there are so many technicalities they can get you on if they felt like being a hardarse its not worth it. So even after you get it all done it doesn;t neccasirly give you immunity.

Basically if you get defected or EPA'd all the turbo gear will have to come off - pass RWC/EPA - then refit it all.

Cops dont seem to bother with e-series much so i can't se eit happening to often, i would definantly just put it on and hope for the best, then if you get caught it just means a weekend of stuffing around putting stuff back to stock.
Old 17-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

I had a turbo EB,

Never ever got pulled over, never evan looked at me once, if i ever had the problem of cop i would have to change it back to stock ish and get the epa test out of the way then back the turbo went on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
Cops dont seem to bother with e-series much so i can't se eit happening to often, i would definantly just put it on and hope for the best, then if you get caught it just means a weekend of stuffing around putting stuff back to stock.
thats the plan i took as well.

i made my car very stock looking as well.

OUTSIDE

UNDER THE BONNET

Just Do It.... have some fun.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
Old 17-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
cominthru
Doof Doof Operator!

well i'm in wa so there would be some differences i'd guess...but i had a turbo put on and it hasnt been engineered, emissions tested or anything and i been driving it around for a good few months...although i do plan on getting the certs for it because i figured that if i got stickered it'd be swapping everything back...screw that i'm lazy as...haha which is why i havent actually gone to get the certificates yet hehe just get it on there i say! so funny seeing some of the guys in imports faces when ya scream off from the lights...not that i've done that though...
Old 17-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #14
TUFED6
Banned

Just put it back to standard if you get done.

If getting it engineered was guaranteed protection against a canary it would be worth it, but its not so why bother.

Just keep a low profile and you'll be fine.
Old 17-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

If you get a Canary Slapped on (ei; dumped to hard, tyres n all, n i'd say the same with tubro not eng.) if its a major not a minor you'll get a fine, and as ned said, if you get it turboed, with a beautiful looking car like yours, cops will be on you like flys ona sh$IT, in my opinion its not worth the troulbe n being para all the time about the Roadworthy n risking gettin fines n all that stuff, unles you do it properly....
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Old 17-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #16
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

up here in nsw its not to bad... some places are worse than others but overall its not like u have to keep a look out.
Was with a mate once when a RTA setup (defecting) got hold of him. He was in his r31 skyline gts silhoette which he turbocharged..
The rta guys were real nice and gave him a certain amount of time to get it engineered. This was close to christmas last year and on "car night" ...
This was a once off and a case of wrong place bad time.
Cheers
Old 17-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #17
plext
Forum Director

I find it rather amusing to see people suggesting that an illegal modification is the best way to go.

No wait.......It's not funny at all, it's dangerous and stupid. Not a single of the go for it crew has mentioned the possibility of being involved in a shunt to find you have absolutely no insurance, nor the even larger spectre of being involved in a pedestrian accident whilst at the wheel of an unengineered car which has this kind of modifications. Forget fines, manslaughter charges usually have a bit more impact than that.

It is reckless and stupid to not engineer your vehicle, it endangers you and others while also making life harder for legitimate modifiers who do things properly, by giving the legislators yet another shock horror story to justify a further set of restrictions.

The bolt it on and who cares group are a selfish, immature, irresponsible pack of cretins whom are a blight on the lives of real car enthusiasts.

Do it properly or don't do it at all.
Old 17-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext
The bolt it on and who cares group are a selfish, immature, irresponsible pack of cretins whom are a blight on the lives of real car enthusiasts.

Bit Harsh.
Dont you think?
You have never met me!
Is Laminge's TS50 Engineered? mmmmmmmmmmm?

I like to think of myself as a nice young good looking guy with lots a head of myself.

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/

Last edited by snypereb; 17-05-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 17-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #19
Steady ED
Banned

Technically the people who are installing cams in their 4Ls need to have vehicles EPA approved as well.
As do people with BAs who get flash tunes.
And people who fit different carburettors from factory.
How many cars are actually legal on this forum?
I'll hazard a guess that it wouldn't be a majority.
Old 17-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #20
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
Bit Harsh.
Dont you think?
You have never met me!
Is Laminge's TS50 Engineered? mmmmmmmmmmm?

I like to think of myself as a nice young good looking guy with lots a head of myself.
The truth is often harsh - so is a manslaughter charge.
It isn't relevant whether the TS50 is engineered or not - in case it's escaped your attention it is a trailer queen these days, not an everyday road car.

Advocating illegal and stupid behaviour is not something we will endorse on this forum and the mere thought of performing substantial uneapproved modifications on a road car fits both categories.

Minor modifications may well put a lot of cars outside the EPA guidelines although a lot of the late model mods are type approved by the supplier but an air box or exhaust is a long way removed from a 50% horsepower increase.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 17-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #21
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The truth is often harsh - so is a manslaughter charge.
It isn't relevant whether the TS50 is engineered or not - in case it's escaped your attention it is a trailer queen these days, not an everyday road car.

Advocating illegal and stupid behaviour is not something we will endorse on this forum and the mere thought of performing substantial uneapproved modifications on a road car fits both categories.

Russ

My Turbo EB is not a daily car its a weekend car. Im fully insured with shannon's for the turbo. And all modifications that are involved on the car.

Quote:
are a selfish, immature, irresponsible pack of cretins whom are a blight on the lives of real car enthusiasts.
This I find rather rude!

Last edited by snypereb; 17-05-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 17-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #22
EFFalcon
Last warning

BA Turbo + Flash tune + injectors + cooler + pod filter = 300rwkw, requires emmisions and engineering, no one has a go at them.
Sorry Russell but i'm on the other side.
i'm somewhat bias as my car fits the above catagory but really its no different to 1/2 the BA XR6T's on this forum.
Old 17-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #23
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

Quote:
I find it rather amusing to see people suggesting that an illegal modification is the best way to go.

No wait.......It's not funny at all, it's dangerous and stupid. Not a single of the go for it crew has mentioned the possibility of being involved in a shunt to find you have absolutely no insurance, nor the even larger spectre of being involved in a pedestrian accident whilst at the wheel of an unengineered car which has this kind of modifications. Forget fines, manslaughter charges usually have a bit more impact than that.

It is reckless and stupid to not engineer your vehicle, it endangers you and others while also making life harder for legitimate modifiers who do things properly, by giving the legislators yet another shock horror story to justify a further set of restrictions.

Now thats not a very tolerant view, especially coming from a Forum Director.

Cant you just send your car to NSW/QLD where its easier to get it engineered, and then reg it in VIC?
Old 17-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #24
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUZXR8
Now thats not a very tolert view, especially coming from a Forum Director.

Cant you just send your car to NSW/QLD where its easier to get it engineered, and then reg it in VIC?
Easier said then done mate.

Old 17-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #25
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Now thats not a very tolert view, especially coming from a Forum Director.

Nope, vic cars need VASS approval from a registered VASS engineer as per vicroads website.
no easy way around it.
turbo ur car + about $2500 for emmisions and engineers.
Old 17-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #26
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Your complaining about legalitys in Vic???? Hahahahahaha..ever heard of SA's Regency? Talk about the need for KY Jelly.
I'm with EFFalcon and Snyber on this. BUT if your going to do it, keep all ya stock gear.
Or the other option is to get in engineered...

Mr Super Skid-Man
Old 17-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #27
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeah it is a tough topic, and I can see both paints of view.

Firstly, just because you are insured are you positive that if you have a prang you will be covered? Having a non engineered turbo would classify your car as unRWC I would have thought; and hence you insurance will be void.

Perhaps you insurance covers theft, I dont know the exact details but you would want to be sure.

On the other hand, just because you bolt a turbo on your car is not really any more dangerous than it was before. And most people upgrade alot of other components. Kits that we have seen on these forums can vary ALOT, so its a big call to say that a non - engineered setup is dangerous.

At the end of the day its the individuals mentality that controls what happens. Whether its legally right or wrong is their call; there are lots of laws that everyone does not obey.

But for the sake of keeping things legit, id be staying with N/A for a daily. A toy car is a different kettle of fish; but the same rules still apply.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #28
plext
Forum Director

Quote:
Now thats not a very tolerant view, especially coming from a Forum Director.
It's an intolerant view no matter whom it belongs to.

Would you care to explain why I should be more tolerant of fly by night engineering which typically adds 50% output to the driveline of a vehicle not designed for it? When not one person who is qualified to understand the stresses involved has said it is safe? When the driver is typically largely inexperienced? When people I love use the same roads?

I'm all ears.
Old 17-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #29
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Quote:
It's an intolerant view no matter whom it belongs to.

Would you care to explain why I should be more tolerant of fly by night engineering which typically adds 50% output to the driveline of a vehicle not designed for it? When not one person who is qualified to understand the stresses involved has said it is safe? When the driver is typically largely inexperienced? When people I love use the same roads?

I'm all ears.

Your talking like your the only one who has loved ones on the road, we all do!
As far as I can see you are regarding us as hoons? Being turbo/ modified etc, does not mean in any way shape or form that we are going to burning around the streets speeding and breaking the law.

Im my opinion if your going to modify your car, and the stress's involved in the driveline are the owners problem. I have a turbo'd car and recently found that my diff was not up to the task and giving in after a recent drag night. So What! I fixed it. It didnt harm anyone! Life goes on!

What classifies as an experienced driver 10 years 20 years? There is no qualifcation. It comes with driving experience in all types of driving. How are you to know what driving experience people on here have? And what gives you the right just cause someone doesnt have a engineers certificate to call them a cretin?

If you have done modifications to your car have you got an engineers for them?

Old 17-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #30
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Oh get real, name one person on here who's had their car engineered for bolts on. How about lowered springs? Or am I the only person who doesn't drive a bog stock BF N/A XR6?

I'll be gone while I go get my exhaust engineered so I don't cop a manslaughter charge. Because you know, the exhaust did it all. Had nothing to do with the way the car was being driven.
Closed Thread