Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Insurance question

When you use the online quote that insurance companies provide, it asks when you obtained a drivers license, does this mean learners permit if you are <18? Because when I put down 17 years old and 2007 for license, it still accepts it and actually gives me a lower quote, by about $1000.

Help is much appreciated, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
v8 hurricane

No, learners doesnt count. It gives you a lower quote because it takes it that you have been driving an extra year. If you put down that you have had your license a year before you got it and you have a crash, the insurance company will reject your claim and you won't be covered and you will have loads of trouble trying to get another policy
2010-2014 2008 Ford Falcon FG XT Lightning Strike
2017 2017 Ford Mustang GT Black
v8 hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 hurricane
No, learners doesnt count. It gives you a lower quote because it takes it that you have been driving an extra year. If you put down that you have had your license a year before you got it and you have a crash, the insurance company will reject your claim and you won't be covered and you will have loads of trouble trying to get another policy

:S oh okay, crap insurance is going to cost me heaps for comprehensive, might have to go 3rd party or get it under Dad's name.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 27-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

You'll still get a pritty high premium under a parents name, but you'll still make a saving. Another thing you'll have to remember is that those online quote aren't all that accurate. When I was organising insurance for my car I did the online quote for 3 companys and when I rang them up and gave the exact same info, the quotes were on average about $400 more. Just something to think about.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
You'll still get a pritty high premium under a parents name, but you'll still make a saving. Another thing you'll have to remember is that those online quote aren't all that accurate. When I was organising insurance for my car I did the online quote for 3 companys and when I rang them up and gave the exact same info, the quotes were on average about $400 more. Just something to think about.
Ah righto, that pushes one of the cars I was looking at into about $4100 a year under my name. I looked at justcar, Dad has a rating 1 under AAMI, even if
I can cut that $4100 down to <$2000 with me on the list I'd be happy.
Quote:

Old 27-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Be careful with putting it under your dad's name, as this can backfire on you if they find out it's your car, also just out of curiosity, what sort of car are you looking at? the reason I ask is, that if the car is worth under the $10,000 mark then full comprehensive might not be worth it, there is no point in paying too close to what the vehicle is worth in insurance every year.
Old 27-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Be careful with putting it under your dad's name, as this can backfire on you if they find out it's your car, also just out of curiosity, what sort of car are you looking at? the reason I ask is, that if the car is worth under the $10,000 mark then full comprehensive might not be worth it, there is no point in paying too close to what the vehicle is worth in insurance every year.
I've lined up 4 cars:

2000 Volkswagen Bora - $10,900 - $2376 Full Comp (Not too bad actually)
1999 Lexus IS200 Sports Luxury - $14,250 - $2735 Full Comp
2003 Ford Falcon BA XT $13,000 - $2383 Full Comp
2009 Ford Fiesta CL $15,570 - $2549 Full Comp

I swear it was giving me big figures before. I've put birthday down as "1/1/1991" and License obtained as "1/1/2009" to give me the price of an 18 year old P plater hopefully. Its listed as rating 6, is that the usual for a P plater?
Quote:

Old 27-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
I've lined up 4 cars:

2000 Volkswagen Bora - $10,900 - $2376 Full Comp (Not too bad actually)
1999 Lexus IS200 Sports Luxury - $14,250 - $2735 Full Comp
2003 Ford Falcon BA XT $13,000 - $2383 Full Comp
2009 Ford Fiesta CL $15,570 - $2549 Full Comp

I swear it was giving me big figures before. I've put birthday down as "1/1/1991" and License obtained as "1/1/2009" to give me the price of an 18 year old P plater hopefully. Its listed as rating 6, is that the usual for a P plater?
Yeah that's a good way of going about it, also some interesting car choices there, Out of curiosity, did you get some quotes on BA XR6s, they should be close to the same, and a much better package than an XT, definitely worth paying an extra 2-3K for.

And yes, rating 6 is normal for your first year of your license.
Old 27-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah that's a good way of going about it, also some interesting car choices there, Out of curiosity, did you get some quotes on BA XR6s, they should be close to the same, and a much better package than an XT, definitely worth paying an extra 2-3K for.

And yes, rating 6 is normal for your first year of your license.
I'll check them now right now:

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 - $17,000 - $2842 Full Comp.

I was expecting the Lexus to be higher than the XR6.
Quote:

Old 27-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

XR Falcons are always high for a P plate driver, my apprentice wanted an XR6 ute but bought an XT due to the insurance savings.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Here's some examples of some BA XR6s that are around the same price as that XT you 'lined up' I don't know what state your in, but remember, you can usually knock another grand of these prices:
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6741596.aspx
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6789774.aspx
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6773951.aspx
just to name a few, and all of these kick an XT's butt any day of the week.
Old 27-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
XR Falcons are always high for a P plate driver, my apprentice wanted an XR6 ute but bought an XT due to the insurance savings.
Its funny how because something is a "Sports" model the price seems to go up, especially in the Falcon's case because there isn't too much in the way of performance over an XT.

Also, another insurance related question, if I take out an insurance policy while I'm on my Ls, turn 18 and get my Ps in the same year, do I have to pay twice in one year or would they just update it and I pay for it next year when the bill comes?

Quote:
Here's some examples of some BA XR6s that are around the same price as that XT you 'lined up' I don't know what state your in, but remember, you can usually knock another grand of these prices:
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6741596.aspx
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6789774.aspx
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6773951.aspx
just to name a few, and all of these kick an XT's butt any day of the week.
I'm in Victoria, but the problem is they are all 4sp autos, I'm after manual only cars. Thanks anyways :
Quote:

Old 27-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Its funny how because something is a "Sports" model the price seems to go up, especially in the Falcon's case because there isn't too much in the way of performance over an XT.
Exactly, that's why he bought a Pursuit kit off ebay and is having it painted soon, also got a set of xr6 wheels with tyres for $500, it should look quite good and still be cheap to insure.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Exactly, that's why he bought a Pursuit kit off ebay and is having it painted soon, also got a set of xr6 wheels with tyres for $500, it should look quite good and still be cheap to insure.
Funnily enough that's what I was discussing with some friends if I was to buy the Falcon too. I could probably get an aftermarket FPV kit and a used LSD from a wrecker for the same price as the XR6.
Quote:

Old 27-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Oh god, you think you have it rough. I have a 6 month licence suspension coming up and during that time I am selling the XR6 (Gets me into tooo much troubl. ) and looking at buying a BF XR8 Ute that would be lowered, exhaust, CAI, tune and already it's going to be the 3K bracket.

I am just thinking about registering it in my fathers name too, and then doing the insurance in his name and be a cool $700-$800 dollars and some say listed as an additional driver, but unless the policy excludes 'under 25's' then anyone can drive it as long as they have a licence and if they crash they pay the age excess plus the standard excess.

I don't see anything wrong in that. Loan only for 3 years, I'll be living at home still in that time, or looking to move out close to it anyway, and turn 25 at the end of it, so can't really tell that it's actually me paying for the car, not even though that should matter.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd want to do things legit, knowing my luck they'd catch me out. If I can't get it under Dad's name and have me listed as a primary driver also without having it go up to the same price, I'll just do it under my name.
Quote:

Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #17
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

All I will say is do it legit and RING AROUND I've been through all that but rating one now (still under 25) but every year it gets better and I'd be looking at a CHEAP but reliable car that I didn't need finance for, for the first year or two to get some experience and rating THEN get your lexus or XR or whatever when its actually viable to own it a year or two years down the track.

But thats my opinion.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention the reason for getting a cheap car you don't need finance on is so you can get 3rd party F&T only not comprehensive. Because all finance requires comprehensive
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #18
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
All I will say is do it legit and RING AROUND I've been through all that but rating one now (still under 25) but every year it gets better and I'd be looking at a CHEAP but reliable car that I didn't need finance for, for the first year or two to get some experience and rating THEN get your lexus or XR or whatever when its actually viable to own it a year or two years down the track.

But thats my opinion.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention the reason for getting a cheap car you don't need finance on is so you can get 3rd party F&T only not comprehensive. Because all finance requires comprehensive
The way I'm going with my current job assuming I can keep it up and get more work I shouldn't ever have to take out loans on a car. I'm all for spending my own money, though, a house is a different story. Though, that might change in the future, but I think I'm doing pretty well for myself at the moment. When I buy my first car, I'm going to start instantly saving up for my next one when I turn 22. 22 onwards will be saving for house deposit.

Quote:
Also, another insurance related question, if I take out an insurance policy while I'm on my Ls, turn 18 and get my Ps in the same year, do I have to pay twice in one year or would they just update it and I pay for it next year when the bill comes?
Also, can anyone help me out with that question? Thanks.
Quote:

Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
Gaz
Got Ghia?

you will pay for a year's cover. If you cancel your insurance before the end of that year you get a part refund on what you haven't used.

Ring them and ask what they will go - they will either leave the insurance the same amount or may drop it if you inform them you have your license and send you some cash back - however I've never seen anyone quote on insurance for someone that doesn't have their full license?!?
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you'll be paying through the nose for insurance if you want to drive a half decent car as soon as you get your license.

cheapest way to go about it is to buy a cheap car, put 3rd party property insurance only, drive it for 6 years, don't crash/lose points for speeding or lose your license, then go for a decent car and full comprehensive.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post