Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
robbyj
Rob

Default Shift Kit Help

I know there is probably a heap of threads about shift kits but i want someone to explain exactly what I'm asking as i don't fully understand them

Im thinking of getting one for my Series 1,
To firm up the shifts ..

I'm guessing this helps it go through the gears better and 'firmer' making performance slightly better? makes the car slightly quicker?

So I'm going to need a tranny cooler or so iv read.. ?

When driving with the shift kit on.. do you 'HAVE' drive using the gears aka 1st.. 2nd.. 3rd.. D

Or just simply drive with it in D.

Cost wise what am i looking at for the kit and a tranny cooler?
and can anyone recommend a kit/cooler?

Thanks in advanced =D

robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

mate i have all that for sale that u neeed ill pm u about it later
Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
robbyj
Rob

Ok cheers bud.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
I know there is probably a heap of threads about shift kits but i want someone to explain exactly what I'm asking as i don't fully understand them

Im thinking of getting one for my Series 1,
To firm up the shifts ..

I'm guessing this helps it go through the gears better and 'firmer' making performance slightly better? makes the car slightly quicker?

Nope, doesnt really make it any quicker, makes the car chirp the tyres at each gear change. Thats about all it does.

So I'm going to need a tranny cooler or so iv read.. ?

No, wont need a trans cooler for a shift kit.

When driving with the shift kit on.. do you 'HAVE' drive using the gears aka 1st.. 2nd.. 3rd.. D

Or just simply drive with it in D.

Drive it in D

Cost wise what am i looking at for the kit and a tranny cooler?
and can anyone recommend a kit/cooler?

You can make you own shift kit for about $10 for an on/off type, about $40 for a fully adjustable set up. Diagrams are up on fordmods and I may have put them here aswell. To buy them, they are $110~ from the shiftkits.com.au guy, about $60 for others on ebay, or make your own (easy as) for cost price getting a few things from Jaycar. Bought vs home made do exactly the same thing. Trans coolers are I think about $150 from supercheap/bursons.

Thanks in advanced =D
There you go
Diagram:

Last edited by Jack91; 08-07-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added shift kit link
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
robbyj
Rob

Thanks heaps mate.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest, theyre pretty useless. Damage can and has happened before (engine mounts, uni joints because of the smash of the gear change). Also been well documented that they dont help at all on 1/4 times. But I guess for less than $50 might as well give it a try.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
robbyj
Rob

Yea i'm not really sure about it now. Would be nice to have the more sportier feel.. driving an auto somehow lacks that.. haha

But don't wanna wreck the car.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I just bought the Adjustable Shift Kit from www.shiftkits.com.au - total cost $130 delivered from WA to Melbs. - I couldn't be stuffed making one

The reason why i bought it is I when the Auto changes gears down the 1/4 mile at WOT the RPMS flare up about 500 before the change - the Flare is so the change is smooth in the std tranny

It's like if you have a manual and you change gears, when you are changing gears the RPM flares up as the clutch goes in, then when you select the next gear you ride the clutch somewhat so the change is smooth - this is not at WOT and you take your foot of the gas between changes

From what I have read the with the ShiftKit it will be like dumping the clutch when changing gears with WOT/full throttle.

The 1/4 mile time in my Sig is the Fastest my car has gone

I am going with same setup with the only change the Shift Kit and see what results i get

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 08-07-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

i have one of them sift kits form shiftkits.com.au and it works well my white car had the same mods and soulink and he has a S2 and my s1 stuck with him as soon as i put the shift kit in mine leped infront of him thay make that 0.00001th of the dif

The only thing i dident like was when it was set to hard shift it feelt like the tail sharft was Comeing thought the floor but it dident do any damage to the car at all
Old 08-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

oh and when your raceing and u got a heap of work done it helps look after the tranny because theres less of a risk of slipping because the changeing isent slow
Old 08-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
robbyj
Rob

mm still undecided. Id only have it on if i was giving it a bash or some ****a in his VN pulls up beside me at the lights (happens a lot in my town lol)

The shift kit had nothing to do with your S1 when the diff broke poelwyk?
If your selling your shift kit PM me the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
I am going with same setup with the only change the Shift Kit and see what results i get
Be interesting if it makes a difference.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
robbyj
Rob

There are mixed feelings and opinions on them from what iv read. So long as its not damaging i think ill go for it..

Is there any evidence that it is/is not damaging?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Blueoval has all your answers
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
yes I have installed one on my car.

How hard was it to fit?
Not that hard if you know wiring/electrical stuff

How long does it take to fit?
Allow an hour depending on the unit you bought and the fitting location of the switch/dial.

Was it worth fitting?
I would yes. I have noticed the car shifts firmer and in a traffic light duels the revs dont drop as much. It feels very instant and precise between gear changes. Will get second gear 'chirps' if pushed hard.

What unit should I get?
Depends on what your after. You can go a switchable unit, e.g. on & off type. That way if you want lazy shifts you can turn the unit off anytime. You can got the 2 stage switchable which allows you to switch between 2 shift settings. 1 being firm, 2 being firmer, and off also. OR like me, you could go with the adjustable/switchable unit which you can vary your shifts via a dial depending on your mood. Plus it can be turned off.

Does it do any damage to your trans/driveline?
In a nutshell, it could if your current driveline is already showing signs of wear, or you use the unit while in peak hour traffic. I recommend using it only when you need to, not all the time. This will save the constant 'jolting' you will experience when in use. Dont be alarmed, it will be fine to use, in small doses. i.e. traffic lights duels and hard/spirited driving. Its a case if buy at your own risk.

What signs of wear are you talking about?
Trans slip, diff clunk, trans going into limp home mode if incorrectly fitted. Uni joints already making noises.

What else do you recommend with the shift kit?
I would strongly recommend a heavy duty trans cooler fitted if you havent got one already. The biggest enemy to transmissions is heat.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
robbyj
Rob

Ok thanks mate. Looks like you have been doing some research too =p
Old 08-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Documented damage? Well I know for fact that BenJ (member on here) snapped an engine mount from using one, uni joints and diff are vulnerable but I cant clearly remember any specific cases. Trans cooler isn't required when fitting a shift kit. Not even in the slightest. Shift kits will actually REDUCE the amount of heat in the 'box. However an external trans cooler is always a good idea but I say again its NOT COMPULSORY just because you are fitting a shift kit.
Honestly though, the amount of people who say there are no gains in real life vs those who say there are gains, must be 10 to 1. If it really was that easy to knock off a few tenths dont you think everyone would be doing it? All this is good for is showing off by chirping 2nd and 3rd. Thats it.

Should add too that Ive had one on an eb I6 fairmont and a ef I6 gli, and my AU XR6 had a sort of "built in" version (ford called it adaptive shift, and it kicked in when you least expected it)
Old 08-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
robbyj
Rob

Righto, plus the factor its more... 'exciting' to drive.

So having the kit wont produce more heat for the trans correct?
Edit: When driving with it on
Old 08-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct you will actually be getting less heat.
Its not more exciting mate, its just silly.
Trust me. Theyre total crap.
But if you must try it, build your own and save yourself some money.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
robbyj
Rob

Righto, do you have a link to a how to? .. i found an example for an EL.. dunno if its same thing for an AU
Old 08-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry I take that back they are good for powerful cars as the other guy said so the gearbox just doesnt slip. So there, it has 2 uses. Showing off and helping to preserve high power cars.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #20
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
Righto, do you have a link to a how to? .. i found an example for an EL.. dunno if its same thing for an AU
EL is different. Go to the link I posted in my first post. I made diagrams for all ford I6's. That one will suit an AU (and an EF) I took the liberty of even putting jaycar part numbers on there. Basically, the lines are wires. Different colour:different wire. ECU is the ECU, numbers are the numbers on the ECU connector. You need a soldering iron, heatshrink, pliers and a bit of patience. If you are electronically sound you will do it in 20 minutes.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #21
robbyj
Rob

Ah sorry didn't see the link. Thanks for all your help mate.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deleted
Old 08-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
robbyj
Rob

na iv got it, looking at it now. all good
Old 08-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #24
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yeah you'll also need a drill and a sharp drill bit to drill out the rivet holding an earth wire to the car body from the ECU. As you need to take the ECU out once you put it back in just get a self tapper or another rivet to put the earth back on the car. I think the car wont start without it on.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
robbyj
Rob

Ok thanks mate.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #26
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Documented damage? Well I know for fact that BenJ (member on here) snapped an engine mount from using one, uni joints and diff are vulnerable but I cant clearly remember any specific cases. )
But was Benj's engine mounts new or had they been in the car for 20 years?
My engine mounts are new so i will be very surprised if they break - and yeah if you have a part on your car thats about to give up the ghost - uni joints and diff and you use a shift kit then yeah they "may" break BUT then again they may just break from normal use

Quote:
Trans cooler isn't required when fitting a shift kit. Not even in the slightest. Shift kits will actually REDUCE the amount of heat in the 'box. However an external trans cooler is always a good idea but I say again its NOT COMPULSORY just because you are fitting a shift kit. )
Correct

Quote:
Honestly though, the amount of people who say there are no gains in real life vs those who say there are gains, must be 10 to 1. If it really was that easy to knock off a few tenths dont you think everyone would be doing it? All this is good for is showing off by chirping 2nd and 3rd. Thats it. )
10 to 1 said the same thing about the SS Big Mouth but it worked on my car and I have dyno readings to proove it - in the case of the shiftkit i have never seen anyone put up tests on the 1/4 mile one run with and one run without so there is no conculsive if it does or doesnt work - but i will soon find out

I have only heard about how the tyres chirp when changing gears and about how hard it shifts

If it works on my Auto and i dont get the flaring when changing gears then it will work down the 1/4 - if i get .1 or .2 better then its an improvement

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #27
xr8ute
Back on the road

Had a bad experience Davo XR? Frankly I wouldn't drive my XR8 hard without one, for the reasons mentioned by sorted.

I've done about 60-70 1/4 mile passes, and 80,000kms since fitting my fully adjustable shift kit. No broken bits at all.

I wouldn't recommend anything but the fully adjustable kit though. If it feels like it is thumping on gear changes then turn it down a bit....chirping tyres does not make you faster!!

If your driving your car hard, you need a decent trans cooler anyway, shitfkit or not. And change your tranny fluid every 50,000km.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Had a bad experience Davo XR? Frankly I wouldn't drive my XR8 hard without one, for the reasons mentioned by sorted.

I've done about 60-70 1/4 mile passes, and 80,000kms since fitting my fully adjustable shift kit. No broken bits at all.

I wouldn't recommend anything but the fully adjustable kit though. If it feels like it is thumping on gear changes then turn it down a bit....chirping tyres does not make you faster!!

If your driving your car hard, you need a decent trans cooler anyway, shitfkit or not. And change your tranny fluid every 50,000km.
No bad experience they do have a couple of uses but making cars faster in any noticeable way isnt one of them. Its just hinking about it all the people with auto xr6t's and such chasing better 1/4 times, how come if there are such gains there then how come they havent done it afterall its only $100 for a bought one? Sorry but you get what you pay for IMO.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #29
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
No bad experience they do have a couple of uses but making cars faster in any noticeable way isnt one of them. Its just hinking about it all the people with auto xr6t's and such chasing better 1/4 times, how come if there are such gains there then how come they havent done it afterall its only $100 for a bought one? Sorry but you get what you pay for IMO.
You can add me to the list of people who dont believe they make a difference in 1/4 mile time.

I still beleive firming up the shifts is absolutley necessary for the longevity of your auto gearbox if you are going to indulge in any "performance" driving. It doesn't really matter if you acheive that via a shift kit or a Flash/J3 Chip tune.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

'Shift kit' sounds very much like the 'Power/Economy' button on my barge!