Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Exclamation Help!! EL Fairmont not starting =(

hello,
my EL fairmont has started acting up recently. The problem is that sometimes when i try to start the car, there is a "click" sound from under the bonnet (starter motor?), followed by silence. The car will then refuse to start on subsequent attempts. The click is accompanied by the normal whine of the fuel pump. Also, the battery voltage reads a healthy 13.5 to 14 while this happens (new battery installed in attempt to fix the problem). When i do get the car to start (it will start sometimes for no apparent reason), it will be pretty rough on first go.. but all seems okay on second or third go. I am pretty sure that the inhibitor switch is okay.. since tapping/rattling the gear selected while in park or neutral does not help. Are these the signs of a dying starter motor?(note: the when the car does start, it starts a little rough on first go, but starts like a champ on second or third go). Or could it be sumthing more complex?.. The car is an EL Fairmont 4 litre 6, with 207000 on the clock. Any one have any ideas or have any experience with this problem? any suggestions would be appreciated.

malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Sounds like starter motor mate
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

thanx for the reply =) u reckon its the starter? hmmz.. how come when it does manage to start sumtimez.. it seems all good. anywayz.. any idea of how much a new starter motor's worth.. or whether its worth repairing/rebuilding the current 1.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
FG8PSI

Hi

I had a ED with the same prob, ended up being the smartlock moulde also know as the B.E.M which is under the dash on the drivers side, mite need to get one a plug it in and see what happens. I used to hit it and the car would start but then it was totally stuff and i had to get a new one.

if its not that it could be the start motor is on its way out.

hope this helps

Nick
Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
malazn mafia
Boss 335

have heard of the BEM module being an issue... however since there is a click coming from the starter motor or engine bay, i would assume that if smartlock/BEM mdoule were playing up.. the car would be imobilised and hence no power to the starter
Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
niko
likes falcon's

the armacha in the starter sounds like it may be a tad fried.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

hmmz... thanx for the reply. I think u'd be on the rite track with an armature on the starter motor, coz if the starter motor had a blown armature.. it wont move when it sits in a certain position.. hence the intermittent clicking problemz
Old 08-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
malazn mafia
Boss 335

btw.. can starter mtr armature be fixed or need to get a new starter?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
niko
likes falcon's

just whack in another
Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

how much would i be lookin at for a new one?(short of funds from replacing other components: water pump, serpentine, thermostat, brake pads, battery :(.. )... and is it easy to replace?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
jjj

If it makes a click from the engine bay, it is not the BEM module or the gear box switch. They both kill ignition voltage.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #12
malazn mafia
Boss 335

thanx =)
Old 09-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #13
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Im not familiar with the starter setup in these cars

does it have a seperate started solenoid? When you hear the click, does it happen when the key goes from acc to on? My car does this and its normal. Could also be a dodgy switch

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:32 AM   #14
malazn mafia
Boss 335

the click happens when changing from acc(position 2) to on(position 3)... but there is no crank. strangely the car seems to 'recover' (crank normally) after being left for a while or after multiple attempts (not good as battery appears to be draining from repeated attempts). Once car has 'recovered' car starts first go every time. Sometimes, the starter motor will ceases again for no reason >.< and i will be left with a click (solenoid?) on startup. Maybe starter jammed? btw.. where would the 'dodgy switch' you referred to be located? do u mean the starter relay? thanx for the feedbak
Old 09-03-2006, 01:41 AM   #15
malazn mafia
Boss 335

um... dumb question, but is it possible to start an EL fairmont manually if the starter refuses to work (car is an auto)? e.g. push start.. I have heard that u can only push start a manual car. wondering if anything can be done to get the engine started without the starter motor in an emergency
Old 09-03-2006, 01:46 AM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No you cant start an auto without a starter motor.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #17
havoc19
Banned

hmmm i got the same probs on my ed everynow and then seems the smartlock anti theft ИИИИ on my futura has played up and if u hit the black box after failed start attempts it starts no problems could be that y not just take it to an auto electrian for a free check?
havoc19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
malazn mafia
Boss 335

*update... i exchanged the starter relay with another one and the car seems to crank every time now. However once in the parking lot of shopping centre.. car struggled to crank and the clock reset to 12AM! howeever on changing car to neutral car came bak to life but with great difficulty (bad alternator?).. anywayz car has started up nicely past the last 2 days.. will probly get sum1 to chek the alternator. thanx all for advice
Old 12-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #19
old_mate
Smash the Boost

how new is the battery?

What kind of voltage are you getting across the battery terminals while cranking?

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #20
malazn mafia
Boss 335

*update... got the alternator rebuilt. Now starts no worries =). thanx all for advice
Old 20-03-2006, 02:51 AM   #21
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

bloody electrical problems... nothing worse.

Glad to see it all worked out.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post