Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-10-2008, 04:21 AM   #1
Juzman

Default What type of spark plugs did the AUII get?

just wondering if anyone knows as it will determine what type of service I get for my car at 100,000ks

The guy at the center said Ford started putting iridium plugs in around the AUII vintage but wasn't sure... he said if they were iridium that I wouldn't need to get them replaced until 150,000ks... but if they weren't they'd need replacing this service at 100,000...

any help? Car is late 2000 futura.

Cheers
Juzman

Last edited by Juzman; 30-10-2008 at 04:27 AM.
Juzman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

they we're spose to be the iridium but when i checked mine just before i did the service they for the wrong plugs, so i put the NGK Iridiums in it, much better now and they do last longer, doesn't mean you shouldn't check them from time to time though.
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Some people were unaware there were Iridium fitted to the AUII on. Some repairers replaced them for std plugs during their servicing too early. If the car is running well they will be fine. The dealer will check to be sure that they are.

They are considerably dearer, at about $18 ea compered to about $4 ea, but, as stated, last 150K.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

150k from a set of plugs, please tell me no one actually believes that.

No plug lasts 150k, even with Iridiums I would not leave them in for any more than 30-40k max. 15-20k for normal plugs.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
The Mighty Red

I have done 100,000k's with my Bosch plugs and they are still firing perfectly
Old 30-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Russell speaks a large amount of truth, No plug lasts 150k unless you like driving on extremely, extremely shagged plugs and you're only doing highway running and you only use petrol and yada yada yada.

I replace mine every 30k, and mine are standardies. NGK BPR6EY's, cos they're 0.8mm and a grade cooler for the LPG.

Go to the NGK website, it'll tell ya.
Old 30-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Juzman

thanks for the replies, how can you tell if your plugs are near the end of their life though? I mean my car seems to be running fine, starts fine...

what are the tell tale signs of worn out plugs?
Old 30-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman
thanks for the replies, how can you tell if your plugs are near the end of their life though? I mean my car seems to be running fine, starts fine...

what are the tell tale signs of worn out plugs?
Increased fuel economy, less power, rougher running. The best way to see the difference is when you put newies in.

Kind of like shock absorbers, they deteriorate over time and you don't notice how bad they were until you see how good the new ones are.
Old 30-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
Juzman

I see...

I guess I'll go for the Kmart full service ($199 - cheapest I've found so far) then and ask for iridium replacements

thanks for your help
Old 30-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

urgh, I wouldnt trust K-mart with my car.. The times that my parents put theirs into k-mart, the car came back worse than it was before. And a mate gets his done at K-mart, and I end up doing a few things for him afterwards.

It seems that a lot of the K-mart mechanics dont really care about the quality.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I see...

I guess I'll go for the Kmart full service ($199 - cheapest I've found so far) then and ask for iridium replacements

thanks for your help
Noooooo, not K-mart. Or Ford lol.

Find a decent local mechanic, where abouts you at?
Old 30-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

forget K-mart. You do a better job doing it yourself.

Iridiums are good, but not a necessity. Depends if you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket. Otherwise NGK stocko's FTW

Ive seen NGK normal plugs last 40,000km on a subaru before. I wouldnt let it go that far personally but they do last a while longer than you'd expect.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

At $3.25 each, just get normal plugs and change em every 30-40k.
Simplest way.
And iridium plugs aren't worth it, 4-5 times the price for only twice as long, if that.
Normal plugs changed regularly. And make sure they're NGKs, ok?
Old 30-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
At $3.25 each, just get normal plugs and change em every 30-40k.
Simplest way.
And iridium plugs aren't worth it, 4-5 times the price for only twice as long, if that.
Normal plugs changed regularly. And make sure they're NGKs, ok?
Agreed, I even do this with my 347. Iridiums just aren't worth the extra cost as there are no real benefits.
Old 30-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #15
Juzman

lol ok Kmart is a no go... I guess you get what you pay for...

I live in Toowong Brisbane, I live very close to Westpoint service center (next to the Regatta) but not sure I trust them...don't know why, just get a "dodgy vibe" from the place

...my local mechanic I used to use has moved to Belbowrie...

I'd never use ford in a million years.. they wanted $550 for a full service! Outrageous...

Anyone recommend a good one in the central west of Brissie?

Midas are almost as cheap as Kmart...
Old 30-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Agreed, I even do this with my 347. Iridiums just aren't worth the extra cost as there are no real benefits.
I agree with that, you put me on to standard NGK's and that fixed a ping problem I was having, also the gap size with the NGK iridiums was wrong which doesnt help matters.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
lol ok Kmart is a no go... I guess you get what you pay for...

I live in Toowong Brisbane, I live very close to Westpoint service center (next to the Regatta) but not sure I trust them...don't know why, just get a "dodgy vibe" from the place

...my local mechanic I used to use has moved to Belbowrie...

I'd never use ford in a million years.. they wanted $550 for a full service! Outrageous...

Anyone recommend a good one in the central west of Brissie?

Midas are almost as cheap as Kmart...

Plug wise I swear by the Bosch Superplus with Yttrium good plug esp for value for $.

Prolly Shane and the crew at Ultratune Wacol they seem to know their stuff.

If your after a "decent" Ford dealer see Stan at Denmac Ford Darra this guy is damn good.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #18
sly
Sly like a G6

Splitfires FTW!
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just on the topic of iridiums, you can apparently get them from toyota i think, for about $5 each, or used to be able to...there was a thread on here some time ago with the info in it. if you can get the part number, or do a cross reference for the ngk to denso ones, you may be ok. as i said, i'm not sure what they're worth now though...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #20
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
150k from a set of plugs, please tell me no one actually believes that.

No plug lasts 150k, even with Iridiums I would not leave them in for any more than 30-40k max. 15-20k for normal plugs.
I replaced mine at 105k, were fine. I had a set I kept when closing my business, and if the boxes weren't getting a bit shoddy, I would have left the old ones in! They were in excellent order.

PS, NGK warrant their Iridium Plugs for 150k against fault!
Old 31-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #21
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Look, I have run some tests, back to backing Iridiums against Std NGK Plugs. The dollar factor over the life of the plugs are the sameish, but you have the added expense of the extra replacements. The Iridiums were designsed for, in particular, FWD V6 cars where, like the Magna, you have to remove the intake Manifold to replace the rear 3 plugs. Many cars are like this, Maximas, Hondas, Vans, where ever it is a pita to get to the Plugs!

At the end of the day, its either or. If you are fitting them your self, use std plugs, as over the life of an Iridium, you would get new plugs 5 or 6 times, while the Iridium would be slowly wearing out.

BTW, anyone who really thinks of using anything but the NGK product, is kidding! NGK make the best Plugs in the world, bar none! NGK FTW!
Old 31-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

agree with you there MNM96. NGK are definitely the best brand for fords.

Also I used Iridiums on my Subaru, mainly due to the difficulty in replacing the spark plugs with limited access to the area. My mechanic was always cursing me when I asked him to replace them. After getting the iridiums fitted, it was just a matter of checking 1 plug every 30,000 or so. Never had a problem with them, but like you said, they are perfect for cars which have difficulty changing plugs.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
I replaced mine at 105k, were fine. I had a set I kept when closing my business, and if the boxes weren't getting a bit shoddy, I would have left the old ones in! They were in excellent order.

PS, NGK warrant their Iridium Plugs for 150k against fault!
Wish I knew that before, my TR55IX ones were screwed after 35k :

I agree with you about the NGK plugs being the best, nothing comes close in mine.
Old 31-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #24
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

My thoughts are that a lot depends on your own experiences with each brand. Personally I wouldn't let NGK go into any car of mine, the ones I have used have been dodgy (ie cracked cores, rough engine performance) for me Bosch all the way!
Old 31-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #25
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHenry
My thoughts are that a lot depends on your own experiences with each brand. Personally I wouldn't let NGK go into any car of mine, the ones I have used have been dodgy (ie cracked cores, rough engine performance) for me Bosch all the way!
I had a Business and received a plaque for supplying and fitting 10000 Spark Plugs. I reckon I had no more than 10 failures in that time. Each time, I replaced a set, and returned them for warranty, and always received replacement, a well as payment for time lost.

The times I have encountered Bosch Plugs, I have had people come and see me with dramas. I can't comment what there Wtty was like, as I didn't have any dealings.
Old 31-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #26
Mr Hardware

^haha nothing like the voice of experience speaking. NGK for life.
Old 31-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

NGK have a very weak brittle ceramic insulator.It is very bad.I dont know how many millions of times I have removed and reinstalled plugs but I can say that once the insulator cracks it goes to buggery.
For their reputation they arent the plug they are supposed to be as far as I am concerned.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #28
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

My advice is that if you have ngk ..make sure you have a vacuum cleaner to suck the highly probable ceramic breakage from going into your engine.If NGK dont like my comments then we can meet and I can show them the flaw in teir product.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #29
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
NGK have a very weak brittle ceramic insulator.It is very bad.I dont know how many millions of times I have removed and reinstalled plugs but I can say that once the insulator cracks it goes to buggery.

For this very reason I will never have them near my car again.
Old 31-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I can honestly say that all the times I have used NGK plugs I have NEVER broken one, not even getting it into cyl 5 on the AU past the Herrod Headers.

Anyone who has ever done this will tell you it is a damn hard job trying to get it in there properly.