Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
slayer351

Default Alternator belt keeps breaking!!!

Hey guys, Looking for a bit of advice, Every 3000kms or so i seem to b e breaking the alternator belt, hence meaning no water pump and getting the engine very hot very quickly. Car is a EB Series 2 I6.

What could be causing this? I know that the power steering pump leaks a little onto the belt making it slip a little when you first start in the mornings, Could this be the cause of it? I am kitting the pump tommorow to fix the leak but am worried that there could be a more sinister reason behind it.

Cheers.

slayer351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

sounds like your water pump is farked.. mine was doing the same thing.. the water pump impeller? either packs it in and doesnt want to spin therefore causing it to burn the belt and eventually break it.. thats my best guess
must be a common problem with green EB's!!
Old 20-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
slayer351

Now that you mention it i have had alot of dramas with the cooling over the last 3 weeks. I have changed everything from the radiator to the hoses and even the thermostat housing and thermostat. So there is a chance that it could be doing it.

I just assumed that it was the oil leaking on to the belt and never gave the water pump a second thought.

Thanks for the idea EBIIXR6
Old 20-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

harmonic balencer?

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
slayer351

The belt seems to be running true enough on the pulleys so i wouldn't think it is the harmonic balancer? But while i have it all apart tomorrow i will defiantly check it too.

Cheers.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
ELV8FUTURA
302 V8

the oil contamination from the power steering pump would greatly reduce the life of any belt but only lasting 3000 cliks could be more like what EBIIXR6 is saying and also check the alignment of the alternator because the pivot bolt may be skewif and causing the belt to rub abnormally and with the oil ---- SNAP.
ELV8FUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #7
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

yeh no probs, as i said mine acted as your is and i couldnt figure it out... does your belt squeal in the morning? the water pump job is a bastard btw!
Old 20-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
slayer351

Yer it the morning its the worst when everything is cold. And now that i am thinking more about it it would be when the thermostat is closed so the pump is trying to work harder.

Yer and thanks for the encouragement about doing it too. HAHA now i really am not looking forward to it.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer351
Yer it the morning its the worst when everything is cold. And now that i am thinking more about it it would be when the thermostat is closed so the pump is trying to work harder.

Yer and thanks for the encouragement about doing it too. HAHA now i really am not looking forward to it.

exactly right... i had mine break twice and once was 20 min from home i had to leave my car at a servo overnight and throw a new belt on it the next day
pleased to help, have fun taking the radiater out the fan off the .... .. ...
Old 20-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
slayer351

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBIIXR6
pleased to help, have fun taking the radiater out the fan off the .... .. ...
Thanks again mate. Will let you know how i go with it tomorrow night.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
975PIU

water pump is an easy replacement if you have the right tools and know what you are doing.
975PIU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 03:02 AM   #12
ebfalcon13.5
grey bumperz

just took my water pump out today was pretty easy 3 bolts and pulled the **** right out
Old 22-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
slayer351

Ok well that job is done. Wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. I ended up doing the following, Reconditioned the power steering pump, New water pump, And got rid of the Clutch fan and replaced it with a 16" thermo fan and thermo switch.

So far so good there is no fan belt probs and the pump doesnt leak any more (touchwood).

I must say that i can notice a little more bottom end pull with the old girl now that there is no clutch fan on her.

Thanks to the guys who offered advice for me.