Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
XR6Stu

Default Turnng an XR6 into an XR8

Open opinion question... if I put an 8 into my XR6, does that technically make it an XR8? Or am I just a wannabe?

Reason is... I own my car... I have got my car cosmetically to a place I am very happy with... but it is lacking 2 cylinders. SO rather than go out, and start over, Id rather spend a little bit of money and put an V8 into it. Opinions VERY welcome!

XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Personally I reckon it'd always be an XR6 with a V8 dropped in it, but your average punter wouldnt pick it. Change the engine and some badges and thats enough to fool most people.
Old 16-08-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

If the maths of sale of xr6 + purchase of XR8 + mods to get new car up to scratch > purchase of XR8 engine (FTG had one under $2K recently?) + install costs (need cross member, ECU, etc) then it sounds reasonable. If the base car is a ute or a VCT, then the suspension setup is the same. Victorian modded car regs would be met since it's a standard engine available to the range, provided all the stock gear is in place.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
feebs
BrwnBstd

Dont be the LEAST bit worried about being a wannabe... there is a company in perth that install a 308 in holden geminis!

What an awesome project.. your only concern would be whether it sends you broke...

Oh and if the engine doesn't go in.. let me know.. I'll see if it will go in my XT!!
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another option would be to turbo the 6 you'll get more go than the 8
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Putting a series 3 220kw XR8 motor into an XR6 VCT, with matching gearbox & ECU, will make it an XR8. The only difference between an XR6 VCT and XR8 is the motor, gearbox and ECU - everything else is the same between an XR6 VCT and an XR8. If yours is an XR6 HP, then if you throw a V8 in it, it will be a V8 XR6, not an XR8.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Putting a series 3 220kw XR8 motor into an XR6 VCT, with matching gearbox & ECU, will make it an XR8. The only difference between an XR6 VCT and XR8 is the motor, gearbox and ECU - everything else is the same between an XR6 VCT and an XR8. If yours is an XR6 HP, then if you throw a V8 in it, it will be a V8 XR6, not an XR8.
That's it, no IRS no XR8.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
That's it, no IRS no XR8.
mine's an XR8 and it doesnt have IRS :
Old 17-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I reckon that if the VIN say's it's an XR6, it's an XR6 no matter what engine is in it.

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Fine then, No IRS no XR8 unless it's a ute.
Old 17-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I reckon that if the VIN say's it's an XR6, it's an XR6 no matter what engine is in it.

Daniel
I agree with this, and resale would reflect this too - that's IF the buyer were to notice, which most wouldn't.

Guess you need to balance up what the changeover cost would be to simply get out of yours and into an XR8, vs what the parts and labour are going to cost you.

Depending on what mods you've already got, most stuff is fairly simple to swap over.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Then it's not a "real" XR8. It's an XR8 ute. Real XR8s are sedans, and they have IRS standard. They also have the 200kw motor from the start of series 2, and the 220 for series 3 (and part series 2). The utes were the forgotten XR8 in the line-up, and given that they didn't get the best drivetrain, they should stay forgotten. They are really just an XR6 with a V8 then!

(This post is meant to be humourous and should in no way be taken seriously, unless you really want to take it seriously, but then I'd say "Here's a box of tissues, get over it")
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Then it's not a "real" XR8. It's an XR8 ute. Real XR8s are sedans, and they have IRS standard. They also have the 200kw motor from the start of series 2, and the 220 for series 3 (and part series 2). The utes were the forgotten XR8 in the line-up, and given that they didn't get the best drivetrain, they should stay forgotten. They are really just an XR6 with a V8 then!

(This post is meant to be humourous and should in no way be taken seriously, unless you really want to take it seriously, but then I'd say "Here's a box of tissues, get over it")
Well said JC, Cop that Austin
Old 17-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if thats your goal to wack in an XR8 motor then do it. I am in a similar boat to you.

My car is a Futura deep down, but has 99% XR spec or better parts. the only thing missing is the round head lights, and XR brake booster (i have the booster waiting to go in).
Old 17-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
EFFalcon
Last warning

if ur going to do it, do it right.
don't put a stock 5.0 in.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
BAGTP454
Banned

my opinion buy the car it's cheap for AU XR8. I am surprising EF and EL with bodykit Xr8 is same price if maybe some little bit more deer tahn AU xr8.

AU xr6 and Xr8 price is same. so sell your buy one.

-mohamed
BAGTP454 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
if ur going to do it, do it right.
don't put a stock 5.0 in.
I like your logic! Can you please come over and explain this to my wife? She just doesn't seem to understand why I'd HAVE to mod the V8 if I whack it in the AU?!
Old 17-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I like your logic! Can you please come over and explain this to my wife? She just doesn't seem to understand why I'd HAVE to mod the V8 if I whack it in the AU?!
Easy solution, It needs it and it's cheaper to do it now.
Old 17-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Well said JC, Cop that Austin
oh snap :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puety

Daniel
Yeah thats what i was thinking
Old 17-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

Bah, yours was on gas, even Bucky could have beaten you. What would you know.

I'll take my imposter XR8 elsewhere then :

:hihi:
Old 17-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #21
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

I understand the sentimental value of your AU, ever though about dropping a Boss 260/290 in it?
obviously, depending on your budget, anything can be done.
Now that is what i would call DAMN COOL!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #22
XR6Stu

Thanks for the input guys, it is a VCT with IRS, so everything is the same as XR8 as far as Im aware. I spent a heap of money on it last year when I crashed, pulled all the dents out and resprayed it at work (im a panel beater), spent money putting a leather interior into it, suspension, and a stereo. Its nothing outrageous, but its real tidy, and I love it. SO yeah. Im not real keen to let go of it, but just sussing out options and opinions at the moment. I'll try to take some pics over the weekend and post them up. Keep the opinions coming!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #23
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you still have all original interior/stereo bits, You'll find it a fair bit cheaper to swap it back to stock, and trade it for in for an xr8
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #24
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for a BOSS 260 motor! That would be the ultimate AU imo! I have been dreaming of that for ages. As EFFalcon mentioned, not point going half ar5ed, go the whole hog!

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #25
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
Thanks for the input guys, it is a VCT with IRS, so everything is the same as XR8 as far as Im aware. I spent a heap of money on it last year when I crashed, pulled all the dents out and resprayed it at work (im a panel beater), spent money putting a leather interior into it, suspension, and a stereo. Its nothing outrageous, but its real tidy, and I love it. SO yeah. Im not real keen to let go of it, but just sussing out options and opinions at the moment. I'll try to take some pics over the weekend and post them up. Keep the opinions coming!
It takes a while to build a rapport with a vehicle. You're happy with yours, so why not go the 8 option. JC was right, it'd be in effect an XR8 with that mod anyway.

All the best with your decision.

Go for it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #26
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can't believe no one has sugested this yet,but why not mod the six thats alredy in there .by the time you purchase a xr8 donk and do the swap ,that money spent on your current engine would easily perform as well,if not outperform the v8 you'd be putting in it.
i honestly couldn't see much change out of $5000 by the time you get it in there providing you do the labour yourself.
but its your moola and your car
Old 17-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #27
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
i can't believe no one has sugested this yet,but why not mod the six thats alredy in there .by the time you purchase a xr8 donk and do the swap ,that money spent on your current engine would easily perform as well,if not outperform the v8 you'd be putting in it.
i honestly couldn't see much change out of $5000 by the time you get it in there providing you do the labour yourself.
I kinda agree with this, but that's just my opinion.

Hell, for less than 2k, you could even buy that really good, genuine, fully legit Toyota/CRS/Powerdyne/Vortech/STA self lubricating supercharger kit in the FS forums that's fully setup for an AU, oops I mean holden 6, or was that 8. Puts out 210rwkw too with the standard ECU & injectors...
Oh, and I forgot to mention, it's brand new too, never been used. But it has been installed and run on the dyno!

Last edited by private9; 17-08-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 17-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #28
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

If your happy with the car you have now and are prepared for all the little things that need doing then i say go for it.

When you go to sell it you will have to tell the new purchaser that it is an xr6 anyhow as even if they dont notice it when they buy it, when they go too register it into their name and they tell them its a xr8 they will say it was first registered as an xr6 not an xr8 and then they will be sus on the whole sale. Be honest and you will be fine.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #29
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
i actually sugested a turbo early in the thread
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #30
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just turbo it. Its cheaper and you'd get a pretty good outcome.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post