Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

Default window tinting legalities - NSW & VIC

ok i ran a search and came up empty handed. i gettin my windows done on the EF wagon in a few weeks and they (tint-a-car) are gunna do the darkest legal tint for victoria, think it's called Midnight Express. will this still be legal in NSW and how do i prove its legal? will tint-a-car give me some sort of documentation? also are they telling me the truth that this is the darkest legal tint coz he pointed out a car to me and it didnt look very dark..
thanks to any insight.

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

This should help... Vic only.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...621/0/VSI2.pdf
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
ok i ran a search and came up empty handed. i gettin my windows done on the EF wagon in a few weeks and they (tint-a-car) are gunna do the darkest legal tint for victoria, think it's called Midnight Express. will this still be legal in NSW and how do i prove its legal? will tint-a-car give me some sort of documentation? also are they telling me the truth that this is the darkest legal tint coz he pointed out a car to me and it didnt look very dark..
thanks to any insight.
If the company is big enough I would think they would know just what is legal for most Oz states.

To test the tint, after its done, pull up alongside some Coffin Cheaters or Hells Angels and give them the finger. If you live, it's dark enough.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Darkest in Vic is 20% for rear side windows and rear window. front is a little brighter...

Some one told me with utes and wagons you can have the rears as dark as you want. Don't know if that's true.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDaaron
Darkest in Vic is 20% for rear side windows and rear window. front is a little brighter....

N.Q.R. there
In VICTORIA the darkest you can tint your car is 35% on your front doors (L.H.F. & R.H.F.)
and only the top 10% of the windscreen.
IF you have both side mirrors then you can by the letter of the law PAINT every window from the "B" piller back..... Just look at a frozen food van. they still have to meet the same laws as everyone else.

When they tint your car on the back qtr window they put a sticker under the tint that tells you what darkness it is.. that is not a law it is just something that a lot of placers do.. Wether or not the place you go to dose it or not ??? just ask them to do it anyway.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spoke to some tint professer guy at my local shopping center and they said they'd be able to do 5% on the back of my ute and 20% on the front sides.

I want to hide my sound system as much as possible but it'd be cop bait that dark I'm guessing.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
irsa76
Snoopping

NSW is 35% on side and rear windows on PASSENGER vehicles and front side windows of commercial vehicles. If the commercial vehicle has side mirrors on both sides then you don't require windows aft of the driver.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

35% is too light. thats what i currently have. my folks have 20% on their cars.

my old ED had 2 layers of 35% on it. that was DARK. i loved it.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the tint is legal for the state your car is rego'ed in then its legal in every other state!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
trick_xd

Some of you might have seen my cars .. and yes my windows are black.
on my white EA i have 5% all round and 2 layers on the back window.. This is not a good idea as at night time it is hard to see what on the side of the road.
My EL has 5% on the back doors and rear window and 20% on the front doors .. it is a heap better and still good.. I went dark as when I travel the kids could sleep in the back and not get burnt.

just about all tint up to 28% ( 3%-28% ) is a black colour .. after that there is diffrent shades from grey to blue and just about everything inbetween.. so if you are going to mix your tint make sure it is the same colour so it dose not look crap.

+1 Vote for
front windows 20% and rear windows 5%
Old 01-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
hanky
TF Corty

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
+1 Vote for
front windows 20% and rear windows 5%
I also had this done on the wife's forrester and very happy with it. 35% is not enough, especially with young kids. Plus I haven't heard of anyone being done for their tints yet, the police generally don't enforce this law. Also check your rego papers to see what your wagon is registered as, not sure in Vic, but the forrester is classed as PVS(panel van side windows) so tint can be as dark as you want on all the glass apart from front doors and windscreen.

Last edited by hanky; 01-01-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
hanky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDaaron
I spoke to some tint professer guy at my local shopping center and they said they'd be able to do 5% on the back of my ute and 20% on the front sides.

I want to hide my sound system as much as possible but it'd be cop bait that dark I'm guessing.
That's Tintprofessor for you!

35% IS DARKEST LEGAL TINT.
Except rear of wagons that can have 20% and some that are used for storage can go to 5%.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #13
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

so legaly i can only get 35% tint. anyone got a pic of thier cars with the 35% please?

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
Old 02-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #14
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
so legaly i can only get 35% tint. anyone got a pic of thier cars with the 35% please?
Mine with 35% sides and 5% over 35% rear. The darker your interior, the better the effect.

In accordance with the Vicroads gazette link here http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...621/0/VSI2.pdf, you can go to 35% for the front doors, and anything below for the rear doors and rear screen. As long as you have 2 (left and right) useable rear vision mirrors. My front screen has a band of 5% across the top as well. All legal.

Last edited by ORSM T; 02-01-2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
trick_xd

ORSM T you are right as well ... that is what I was saying.. and you are right as well ..The darker your interior, the better the effect.. (your car looks good)

When you get a road worthy YES all the rules are the same for victoria BUT it is the way the mechanic interprets them rules that make it diffrent from one place to the next.. I know here in town that if you took your car there they would knock you back for your tint... BUT if you was to come to me then I would pass it.. The way I understand the law is if you have 2 outside mirrors then you can tint your cars windows from "B" piller back as dark as you want.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #16
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Heres 15% all round.....

Not all places will do illegal tint but some will do it for cash and without warranty. I've also never heard of anyone being pulled up by the cops for it..... not to say it doesnt happen though.
I generally find if I keep my nose clean and dont hang around with the hoon element then the cops leave me alone.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Heres 15% all round.....

Not all places will do illegal tint but some will do it for cash and without warranty. I've also never heard of anyone being pulled up by the cops for it..... not to say it doesnt happen though.
I generally find if I keep my nose clean and dont hang around with the hoon element then the cops leave me alone.
Looks great. But it's not just a legal issue. It can be an insurance one too. If an assesser deems it too dark and a possible contribution to an accident, he may cancel/reject a claim. That may be expensive....
Old 02-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Yep correct, but mine is not insured so doesnt matter...... so yeah take that into account too.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #19
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Yep correct, but mine is not insured so doesnt matter...... so yeah take that into account too.
Hmmmm, one would hope you have third party at least?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #20
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Well yes of course. The reason thats the case is the cheapest premium I could get for the Turbo TX5 was $1000+ to insure it for around $1500.... so yeah I wasnt gonna pay it.

Anyways enough about me......
Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #21
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Midnight Express is legal in NSW as well....or so I am led to believe. The following pic is of wifeys 'Elle' wearing midnight express (was done through Sol-ace up here)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #22
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Looks good, what % is that? Also was it done at Sol-Ace at Cardiff?
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

I will have to drag out the brochure(if I can remember where the hell it is - was 4"wide by 10" tall? black with purple/red?) was definitely midnight express though - it is darkest legal so would be 35%. I had it done at North Gosford. It looks super black in most light, yet if you look at the passenger window will see that it is still pretty good for viewing out of. There are better performing tints out there, metallics & the like, but it is the darkest looking of the lot.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #24
trick_xd

your car looks good . . . . and yes I have not hurd of anybody getting fined from dark window tint...... But I have seen people knocked back for a road worthy.. Even I have knocked people back for dark tint.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #25
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

haha, i took the car back to the dealer today for a service, they havent seen it since i bought it, and the salesman that i bought the car off was lookin at it and told me to watch out coz of how dark my tint was. he didnt want to beleive me when i tried to tell me thats how i bought the car!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #26
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
Looks great. But it's not just a legal issue. It can be an insurance one too. If an assesser deems it too dark and a possible contribution to an accident, he may cancel/reject a claim. That may be expensive....
another thing to think about with illegal dark tint is that if you have a crash and someone gets injured or killed, police take one look at your car and see the dark tint,..... obviously not legal = unroadwothy car = no rego = no third party insurance could cost you millions of $$$ .
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #27
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems alot of people don't realise how much sh!t you can get into with illegal modifications to a car....all is good if nothing happens.....But if you have a major accident even if it's not your fault blame will be shifted squarely at you for having something as dumb a 5% window tint.....

Sounds impossible? If someone is injured Greenslip solicitors will find any and every excuse to not get their insurer to pay you'll be left holding the bag.....a friend of mine is currently paying off a $600,000.00 (over $100k in just legals)compo claim and spent 2 years in and out of court for a similar accident....luckily he is fairly wealthy but it has certainly changed his outlook.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #28
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
I will have to drag out the brochure(if I can remember where the hell it is - was 4"wide by 10" tall? black with purple/red?)
does the purple/red stand out in the tint alot? i just want it to look black as the photo appears

Old 03-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #29
opium
XR Experiment

Not the best pic but its 35% on all four front and 15% on the back three.
Not a bad job I think..and all for $320. The darkest legal tint I can get for my car in N.S.W.
opium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #30
BlackLS

If your ever pulled up in a roadside RBT or defect crackdown, its best to have all the windows down if you have illegal tint
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post