Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default My cars power.

Ok, so i got a stock '01 AUII XR6 VCT, and i got it on the track for the first time. now im very confused at its power, and im not sure if its right or not.

On the quarter mile, it was beaten by a V6 '97 holden VS by about a quarter of a cars length.

However i beat a V4 '06 Mitsubishi lancer by about half a cars length. The same holden also beat the lancer by half a cars length.

I then used a little gadget a friend has which records your quarter mile, apparantely the car has 94KW, dont know if it meant actual or rear wheel, i did the quarter mile in 16.34 seconds with a reaction time of 0.962 and i reached 145km/h, it also records alot of other things like graphs and such about your quarter mile which i can post if anyone wants to see.

Does it look like my car has considerably less power then it should? because im a little confused at the figures, if so i would really consider trading it in before i put much more money into it.

bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

That little device would be a G-Tech or similar
Take it to a dyno for a power reading
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Dyno is the only true way to get an accurate idea of what your car is putting out, and I say idea because every dyno is different and different operators have different ways of strapping cars down when theyre on there, and this can affect readings.

Now I will also say we are not going to turn this thread into a debate about dynos - take note everyone.

94kw sounds low to me so I would have that looked at but it really is only a number. VS Commodores are quick for what they are and if it was a modified one this may explain it. What time did your car run?
Old 30-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

around 16 seconds on the quarter mile. The VS i believe was stock, but in a very good condition, my car has 147000 km's and it had around 70000.
Old 30-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

If you have an auto you will find youve got around 118 to 130rwkws.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

16 sounds about right for the quater.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

My mates VS with small amount of work (but 400,000k's), Used to keep up with my XH XR6 before i modified it.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Don't be to saddened by the 16.34 sec quarter, that sounds about right for a stock as a rock VCT. Just remember you've got a lot of pork to take care of, about 150kg more than the VS, and that VS sounds like it was mint.
Mate of mine had a VS, and with not much more than a tune, CAI and exhaust he was doing 15.9's. I'm probably going to be burned at the steak for this, but the Ecotec's are quicker than people give them credit for. My brother's stock VT wagon will whoop the crap out of my AU, even though mine is probably the same weight, has more power and a bucketload more torque.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only reason the ecotecs are quicker is because they have a very short first gear. if the falcon first was as short as the commo one, you would leave him for dead, because of the extra power and torque...slap some shorter diff gears in there and then show him what for
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, i was a little worried, im sure the g-tech isnt as nearly as accurate as a dyno. Also with the weight difference, i did have a friend in the car along with a bunch of other junk so i guess that could of made a difference.

Also apparently my car was blowing some smoke out the exhaust during my runs, is this a bad sign?

I was planning on spending 2 grand on some nice wheels, XHP Dirty Dogs in 19's. But i think i might hold that off and make my car faster with it. Ive got headers and a 2.5" sports exhaust on the way.
So i have 2-3 grand to spend.
im going to find a cheap Hi flow catalytic converter
i want a G&D CAI + filter
and a flash tuner
Where else would my money be best spent?
Old 31-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Put a cam in and if you have money left do some head work that should get it going nicely. Or if you want to spend a bit more turbo charge.

Instant torque just add turbo....
Old 31-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Throw some 3.9 gears under the bum.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

My cop spec Forte stock could deal with VS commodores quite easily. However, you say your mates is modified so thats a bit different. Just do what everyone else does: exhaust, CAI, tune, diff gears and you'll have enough grunt to take alot of cars on the roads.
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
| Silhouette | 5 Speed Manual | Pacemaker Twin 2.5" System | Pacemaker 2.5" 200 cell cats | Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers | Yella Terra airbox | Herrod Oil Breathers | MGW Short Shifter | 19" Bonspeed Clutch billet wheels | Spoiler Deleted |
st33l3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would luv a turbo, too bad im on my P's

Is changing the gears worth as much as it costs to do?
Old 31-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Definitely worth it, it would shave a few tenths easy. :That VS
Old 31-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #16
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

A high-stall torque converter is another option. They help make up for the tall first gear.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

3 grand stall converter, 3.9 gears, a tranny cooler, and the exhaust. Thats about 2 grand.
You already have the exhaust coming, get a cat, $250, a K&N pod, $110, mod the front of the box, and buy some fittings to get the pod to fit in the box, $10, XR8 intake, $40, and a KPM flash tuner, $500. $2910, and you should crack an EASY mid 14 if you drive it well. That will take down a lot of cars on the road.
Old 31-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
the only reason the ecotecs are quicker is because they have a very short first gear. if the falcon first was as short as the commo one, you would leave him for dead, because of the extra power and torque...slap some shorter diff gears in there and then show him what for
Beat me to it.
Old 31-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #19
GSH
AU2 XR8

The 3.8 holden 6s are a quick car....My mates stock as a rock VX keeps up with my XR8 untill around 60-70 then i just leave him behind....The 3.8s accelerate extremely well though...

Your AU XR6 VCT i would say should be doing high 15s........I think with a exhaust...CAI extractors and a flash tune you could be hitting a 15.0 maybe a 14.9..........I could be completely wrong but thats a rough estimate

I would be listening to The Monty.....his the man on AU 6s....His car is a beast!

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The commies go so well down low because their stall convertor is much smaller diameter and hence their top end power is not so impressive. It is like a high stall and definately higher than stock au sixes. This is the main reason why they get off the line well.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #21
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
3 grand stall converter, 3.9 gears, a tranny cooler, and the exhaust. Thats about 2 grand.
You already have the exhaust coming, get a cat, $250, a K&N pod, $110, mod the front of the box, and buy some fittings to get the pod to fit in the box, $10, XR8 intake, $40, and a KPM flash tuner, $500. $2910, and you should crack an EASY mid 14 if you drive it well. That will take down a lot of cars on the road.
do any of our site sponsors sell the stall converter, diff gears, tranny cooler? i have no clue on what prices these should be, and im sure ill be getting the best deals here.
Old 31-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your diff gears are going to cost a fair bit more than some of the other cars, as yours is a vct it will have irs which is a pita to change gears...whole rear end has to come out...apparently.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #23
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are 3.89 diff gears the same as 3.9? as there is one on ebay for $250, that a good price?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMMODORE-FOR...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #24
The Monty
Just slidin'

They are the same yes, but Im unsure if they will fit in the diff considering its IRS, but deffinately the same.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #25
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im going to pretty much use your suggestions as a shopping list, so if anyone can say whether or not those diff gears will work, its definetely one of the first things i want to do after the exhaust, then ill put the trans cooler in.

If i understand correct the 3 grand stall converter, stalls the car until 3000rpms, to give you a good take off? will this be suitable for daily driving aswell?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #26
The Monty
Just slidin'

It will slip if you take off softly, for instance, if you take off from the lights gently, it will just take off like normal, like you havent done anything, if you stomp on it, it should "go" at 3 grand, like dumping your clutch at 3 grand, right in the good torque range, and fry your tyres, but unlike dumping a clutch at 3 grand, it doesnt clunk or smash into gear, it does it nicely. You must have a tranny cooler though, and the bigger the better.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #27
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

A few points regarding getting a high-stall torque converter of around 3100 rpm:
- You need an auto trans oil cooler or you'll burn the oil a lot faster.
- The car will feel sluggish at sub-2000 rpm / light throttle compared to before. This requires you to give it a little more throttle than before.
- There is a very minimal negative impact on fuel economy. I lost maybe 20 k's per tank.
- Stalling the car on the brakes up to 3,000 rpm will cause the AU computer to think there's a problem and put it into limp-home mode. I think you can get a Flash or Edit to get around this. I find the best way to launch is to stall up to around 1800 on the brakes and then release and go full throttle at the same time.
- Putting your foot down from a standstill will indeed light up the tyres and make a lot of noise.
- A VCT screaming into a nice exhaust under load at 3100 rpm sounds like a warp drive from inside the car.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #28
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Boys
My old stock AUII VCT xr6 ute did 15.5 sec ,3 consistant times I think thats all you would get out of them STOCK.
As every one else has said
I would go for extractors , a 2.5" system,xr6t intake pipe,K&N panel filter to start.Then a cam and a flash tuner

Having said all that I fitted hurricane headers, new cat this week to my gas SR AUII wagon it has a full 2.5" system and to be honest it did nothing that I could feel its just noisier ,Im a bit disappointed to be honest.

Might give it a service that should help
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #29
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dam, the ebayer tells me the gears will fit, but the dam thing has sold, any online stores anyone knows of that sells them?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #30
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news, i went for a few more runs, my average was 15.23 seconds, with 114.7 rwkw, im very happy with these results, maybe my car wasnt at its best last time?
My catback has arrived, im just waiting on the headers to arrive and im waiting on prices to join the catalytic converter group buy.
Ill soon have a trans cooler on the way, im really excited about it since it looks like a simple but rewarding diy job.