Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 
Unhappy Wiring driving light

I just need some help wiring up my driving lights. Now they are driving lights so they can only legally be on with high beams as i am trying to do.

The way i have tried to wire them is by tapping into the high beam relay wire(Green/red) and wiring this to a switch. The way this works, is that the on/off switch for the lights does not receive power until the high beams are on. This wire then runs to pin 86 on the relay so that the lights turn on.

The problem is that the green/red wire doesn't deliver voltage as it should or as I expect. With the high beam relay out, the voltage(potential difference) on a multimeter reads 0v with the high beam switched off, and .4v with the high beam switched on.
But put the high beam relay in, and the multimeter reads 12v with high beams switched off, and .4v with high beams switched on.

Is it I’m just using the wrong wire, or am I wiring it wrong all together.

Also i read in another post to use the green/orange high beam wire to trigger the relay. i Don't wont to do this as that wire is only in the engine compartment and it is a high voltage/high amp wire.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:42 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Try this thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...7&page=3&pp=20

Or here's a summary:

Relay wiring
Pin30 to battery positive
Pin87 to lights
Pin 85 to earth
Pin86 to switch
Other side of switch to high beam circuit

I may have mixed pin 85 & 86 up, but the others are right.

Using a relay means the lights are actually powered on their own circuit, direct from the battery (you can use an in-line fuse if you want to, between the battery and the relay), and the high beam connection from the switch back to the relay basically flips the trigger inside the relay to get the power from the battery. You cannot draw power until the headlights are at least in the highbeam position.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Thats what i've done, but it's tapping into the highbeam circuit thats the problem. When i tap into the green/red wire, it delivers voltage in a way that the lights are on with low beams, but turn off when you switch to highbeams.

Also i'm using a 4 pin relay. Should this be right or do i need a 5 pin
Old 10-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
superroo

Ok, now this is starting to do my head in.

Went and retested the system. It turns out that with the + side of the switched connected to the highbeam green/red wire, my driving light switch now turns the highbeams on and off, not the other way round.

Something is going to die soon.

Cheers
Old 10-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
NEG
Diabolus

why make it so complicated?
Just hook a wire from the high beam wire to the driving lights, and an earth wire from the driving lights to the body somewhere.
simple and effective.
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
superroo

Because by law you have to be able to turn them off, and by your way your now drawing not only the head lights, but the driving lights through a fuse that can only handle the headlights.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
NEG
Diabolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Because by law you have to be able to turn them off, and by your way your now drawing not only the head lights, but the driving lights through a fuse that can only handle the headlights.
Ok good point, well it worked for me :P

good luck
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
superroo

Success

Finally found the right wire. Looked at a couple of wiring diagrams and decided to attempt to use the headlight dash light(Blue light that comes on with highbeams). Turns out it's colour it green/orange. So when people said use green/orange their right, just theirs two types of that wire in the car. A thick one that runs off the highbeam relay, and a smaller one that runs inside the cabin under the dash, to the dash unit.

Cheers