Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
BABOSS

Default Head gasket

What is a reasonable price to pay for a replacement on an EF, just the labour side of things, not the actual gasket itself. $500?

I did mine today on the West Gate FU)*(^&O*$#)_$#_%_#*(#(%(*#_%R*_# Damn it!

BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
efgiar
rofl copter

lol do it yaself :P not THAT hard, u kno the ambulance joint underneath the westgate have u? well if ya have, WAVE TO ME NEXT TIME!

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
BABOSS

I don't have the tools or knowledge for it TDC etc.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

To get it done properly, which includes a head service (crack/pressure test and shave if neccessary) will be closer to $800-900.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did it myself with a good 2nd hand machined head for and gaskets for $300. The only special tool ya need is a torque wrench, A service manual is a must!
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
To get it done properly, which includes a head service (crack/pressure test and shave if neccessary) will be closer to $800-900.
I'd expect closer to $1200.

I did it myself, it cost quite a bit in the end because I bought a fair few tools on the way and got the head recoed.

TDC is easy to find

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
BABOSS

I would do it myself but i would probably screw up the timing, and find something wrong with the head on close inspection (while it's taken apart) or drop the lash adjusters out of the rocker arms, then end up having it off the road for a while if i found it needed a lot more work than i thought.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

u always have to get the head shaved or back to true, u will just need to replace the gasket and do all the work again in a months time if dont get it done, but take the head to a cylinder head workshop, they will do it for about $60, not including crack, pressure test or x-ray

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
BABOSS

Maybe someone in this forum with MPEFI head gasket replacement experience and the right tools can help out for cash and beer?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
Madhatter
EF Fairmont Ghia

head reco is $220-$250 which includes pressure testing and new seals. You can purchase a VRS kit off ebay for around the $140 mark, plus new head bolts, so even if you said it was $250 all up including all fluids and everything. It shouldnt take more than 7 or 8 hrs labour to do the job, so if you said $60 an hour thats still under $500 in labour. With the head being reconditioned it shouldnt cost much more than a grand.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #11
John_LS1

Flasher, so you were the bastard who blocked up all the traffic!!! :P
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Do it yourself mate buy the hasket and some sealant its one of the easiest jobs to do!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 12:48 AM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Mate, seriously, If you have the slightest unease about it then get someone in the know to do it. Contrary to what some of these guys say, its NOT that easy for someone who may not know his stuff.

Its a very involved and difficult job. You need to really know your stuff to be successful, I know the guys here who say its easy really know their stuff! But I wouldn't touch an EF head gasket job by myself!!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 01:31 AM   #14
Madhatter
EF Fairmont Ghia

id rather do an EF headgasket than finish putting this 2.5L R2 engine into an earlier econovan :o
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #15
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

cost me $894 to get the head gasket replaced in my EL, hope that helps.

also, a guy i know is an Ultratune mechanic and he said they charge about $1500 for the same job, but replace the whole cooling system as well and give you a warranty.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 07:07 AM   #16
BABOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
Flasher, so you were the bastard who blocked up all the traffic!!! :P
Lol, yeah how bad is that stupid traffic!! Damn roadworks.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:12 AM   #17
BABOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Mate, seriously, If you have the slightest unease about it then get someone in the know to do it. Contrary to what some of these guys say, its NOT that easy for someone who may not know his stuff.

Its a very involved and difficult job. You need to really know your stuff to be successful, I know the guys here who say its easy really know their stuff! But I wouldn't touch an EF head gasket job by myself!!
Mate i would have to agree with you, i replaced a head gasket on a mate's XF (carby) and it was a piece of ****, an EF MPFI is much more involved. I guess i will start with gettin the quotes now. : Stupid car.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #18
BABOSS

I spoke to a few mechanics yesterday and they reckon that head gaskets are a common thing to go in EF's and only last 1-5 years. Is this true? I've had mine for 5 years and it's the first one i've done.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #19
vanessa0305

How do you know if you have blown your head gasket?
vanessa0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #20
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

The factory head gasket on an EF is due to be replace every 100,000-150,000 kms. This is the truth that I have personally received from a Ford mechanic. He advised me that the initial problem was in the casting of the block and head, apparently cylinder 1 & 2 and 5 & 6 do not have as much coolant flow around the engine block compared to the rest of the engine, hence 99% of the time they let go around cyl 1,2 or 5,6. I believe AU had this issue rectified.

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #21
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #22
NZ
~~~

Quote:

Gawd remember your gasket job...
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #23
BABOSS

Dammit i'm gonna give it a go, i'll send the head off to get recoed but i will take it apart myself and maybe consider getin it put back together professionally. I'm starting it now. The quotes i got were FORD $1700, and another place $1300, i don't have that kind of money and she's un-drivable ATM and off the road :(
Old 04-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #24
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

it realy is a very easy job to do
just when you undo the 17mm bolt that holds your cam gear on get a cable tie and put 1 or 2 around the sprocket and chain that way it can not move at all ..

Clean the block with a razor blade and then so sand paper(wet&dry) 600 -800
blow out the bolt holes and the pistons
get a GOOD light and make sure that you cleaned to block good THEN CLEAN IT AGAIN just to make sure . just 1 little bit of old gasket will make it blow again in no time .
get the head back from who did it clean the old metal fileings out of it make sure its good and put it back on the way you pulled it off ..

When i do a head gasket job I ALLSO replace the thermostat and remove the radiator and get it pulled apart and cleaned / pressure tested .. Just to make sure
drain the oil / filter AFTER you have cleaned it so if any old gasket fell in the holes you will drain it out leave the bottom radiator hose off when back together and a heater hose off as well ( heater tap is good ) get your hose and flush through the motor and through the heater core to remove all your old crap and then you are back to the start with clean water / new oil & filter and new head gasket ..

Very easy job to do
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #25
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:

I disagree. I didn't have any prior experience when I replaced a head gasket on an EF and it all went without a hitch. I even manually lifted the fricken' cylinder head on by myself, what a b!tch that was!! I just asked lots of questions here to get me in the right direction and followed the tutorial on www.deleted link. It's more time-consuming than difficult.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #26
NEG
Diabolus

Id strongly recomend getting a good repair manual like gregorys, u can pick one up from supercheap for $40 money well spent. u will need to make up a tool to release the timing chain tensioner, its pretty much just a 3mm alen key with a tube about 5 mm shorter than the allen key over it, be carful not to break the timing chain guides aswell as they are only plastic and easy to break when lifting the head off, and a lot more work if u need to replace one. you may also find that one or 2 of the head bolts have snapped off and my have to be drilled out. when putting the head back on put a generous amout of gasket goop along the the rubber seal between the timing cover and head cause it likes to leak. good luck
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #27
Damo
Banned

If you can pull the head off yourself, then you should be able to put it back on. Just be careful to take note of what you're doing and what goes where etc. It's all just nuts and bolts! :
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #28
BABOSS

What tool do you use to remove the intake manifold? I tried an allen key but it's too damn tight and i almost snapped the damn allen key! The reason i am undoing these bolts is because it's in the way of the other intake bolts.

So far i have, drained oil and water, taken off air system, pipes cables etc. shut off LPG tank taken off rocker cover, undone half of the intake,marked the timing chain in 1 place. undone the cam gear bolt and tied it together with the chain.
I need to get them stupid intake bolts off. It would be a help to had a digi camera too so you know what i'm talkin about but doh.

Cheers.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #29
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

isnt there a milky kinda colour there when you have done a head gasket!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #30
BABOSS

Yeah, that milky stuff was on the top of my rocker cover, the thing that gave it away was a combination of theese things yesterday:

Whilst on the freeway @ 100kmph a misfire followed by very bad rough idling and stalling an auto at every set of traffic lights.

The coolant level was constantly dropping, and when i filled it up i noticed oily looking water.

When i took off the oil filler cap there were traces of water evident, this was also evident on the oil dipstick.