Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-02-2006, 04:41 AM   #1
5L
[ 5L ]

Default what motor stock au or xr6 el

hey i got 2 options to go with for a motor for the eb, first is a stock au motor with computer for $900 no acc, second is el xr6 motor for $1600 with computer and no accessories. is there any other options i asked ftg auto bout it and they said ef motor complete no computer $1100 wot is a good price for a motor i would prefer a xr motor with manuel ecu. and will my eb accessories fit on the au and el motors.

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

both those prices seem too high for me. I paid $600 for a AU motor with 132k on it from Deer Park Wreckers...and the champs delivered it to me in the Eastern Suburbs. Why do you want the computer etc? Just keep all your EB stuff.

You can get XR motors from places like DPW for $600ish too. Just ring around. The EL motor would be an easier swap, it'd bolt straight in without any body modifications. The AU motor will require you to either grind the sump or cut the crossmember and move it foward an inch. Also the lower bellhousing bolts won't line up which is not really an issue...just do the other ones extra tight :P

Were you gonna run the serpentine belt setup or just retro-fit the V-belts? Doing the latter is cheaper but you have to grind A LOT of stuff to get it to all fit. Otherwise your gonna have to buy thermos and a thermo-switch to run them, an alternator, power steering pump etc to suit the serpentine conversion.

As for which motor to go for, IMO there is jack ИИИИ difference in performance between bottom ends....a 4.0 EL motor bottom end is just as good as a 4.0 AU bottom end when your ONLY talking power output. The power is all in the head/cam etc. The AU motor will probably be a bit better on fuel and will rev a bit more freely however whether you think it's worth the extra effort of making it fit for those two small things is up to you.

I'd probably stick with the EL motor as it's less effort to fit, it will make the same power as the AU motor when all is said and done, and you have a larger and cheaper range of cams available for it (Wade doesn't make cams for the AU).
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
5L
[ 5L ]

yeah i was gonna use the serpentine belt, and i was gonna get a ecu so that it can run the bbm and thermos with no stuffing around with those jaycar kits. plus im in adelaide to and id rather get something from here as least i can check it out before i buy it, ohwell ill shop round and see what prices there is. otherwise i reckon a trip to vic in dads hilux sounds like a go.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 25-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

The price may be good or not depending on how many kms each motor has. I bought a complete, very low km AU series III motor from Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage which wasn't the cheapest, but let's just say I can have a lot of faith in it. Very happy aside from the fact it's never been started...
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

i just picked up a EL XR6 engine for $950 for my ED
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
falcondave69
Liquajet Powered BA XR6

i put AU motor in my EA and there much smoother than the EL motors and quieter. they also have better rods, teflon coated pistons,ridged bottom end better head gaskets,head bolts and a few extra things. Im from adelaide and found out from a mechanic on SOUTH RD who always services taxis and he told me that he lost count of all the EF/EL heads he's done and said to me he has'nt done bugger all AU's cos there heaps better. I run the EA multipoint ECU and single belt and use a switch from jaycar to run the fans and the bar at the front of the crossmember needs to be cut off. Ív'e had this setup in my car now for 2 and a half years now with no probs. and with your dizzy you need custom leads made up to suit so you order NUMBER 1,2,3 leads to suit EA/ED and NUMBER 4,5,6 leads to suit EL.
falcondave69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
falcondave69
Liquajet Powered BA XR6

P,S i also use a switch from jaycar to control the BBM
falcondave69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
5L
[ 5L ]

thanks for the help, i suppose i would only mod the cam and head in the xr motor in the end anyway, so a stock motor would be better off to work from. i look into prices.

www.ignitionimages.com