Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Sa45

Default Why do cammed ls motors sound and go better?

Hi guys,
Just out of interest the title pretty much sums it all up i have always wondered why the LS motor sounds tougher once a cam gets dropped in and goes harder than the Boss motors?
Sa45 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Why do cammed ls motors sound and go better?

kw vs kw they do not go better, performance they may go better due to the car being lighter

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The troll is strong with this one !!!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa45 View Post
Hi guys,
Just out of interest the title pretty much sums it all up i have always wondered why the LS motor sounds tougher once a cam gets dropped in and goes harder than the Boss motors?
I don't think it does

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate of a mate just picked up a VF SS... it has a cam(afm delete crap too?)/air intake/full exhaust/tune = 295rwkw and would have cost a fair chunk of cash.

Easily achievable with the right mods on a FPV/FG boss motor...
Old 18-04-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Not sure about the performance but I do like the sound of the LS motor in the E series HSVs. Very low bass sound a real full sound.
Old 18-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa45 View Post
Hi guys,
Well! Sa45. I have had few runs up against these so called tough cammed LS motors. And guess what? There not that tough or that quick. The only thing that LS makes is lots of noise. That's it.

As the saying goes " HSV! I just ate one!"
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #8
Havoc
Banned

because you touch yourself at night?
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #9
HULK_I6T
Banned

They do sound tough when cammed, I've owned a cammed LS in the past.. I've also owned a cammed Boss.

A few reasons why LS respond better than the boss when cammed

1. No replacement for displacement 5.7, 6.0, 6.3 are all bigger than 5.4

2. They have more compression

3. They love to rev where boss motors don't

4. They are usually fitted to lighter cars than boss motors (100-200kg difference usually)

5. The ls1 motors are heavily detuned in stock form where boss motors are closer to their maximum capacity out of the factory.

6. The boss itself is a heavy motor, LS motors are lighter, made of alluminium

So yes the LS responds better to cams than boss but a cammed boss is still a very nice motor.. I'd prefer to boost a boss than cam it. (Especially the lower comp versions)

Your question is about cams but the answer is opposite if boosting motors.. When boosting a boss motor there are big gains, not so much in LS cars (compression)

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 18-04-2015 at 10:25 PM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #10
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know about sound but they definitely go better than the slug 5.4s.
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #11
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Cammed and tuned ls motors are like bellybuttons...
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 11:15 PM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

when playing with my Boss 290 years ago, we were seeing 280-290 rwkw from an unopened motor, head and cam package tuned LS1's we were seeing 260's on the same dyno

Old 18-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #13
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
They do sound tough when cammed, I've owned a cammed LS in the past.. I've also owned a cammed Boss.

A few reasons why LS respond better than the boss when cammed

1. No replacement for displacement 5.7, 6.0, 6.3 are all bigger than 5.4

2. They have more compression

3. They love to rev where boss motors don't

4. They are usually fitted to lighter cars than boss motors (100-200kg difference usually)

5. The ls1 motors are heavily detuned in stock form where boss motors are closer to their maximum capacity out of the factory.

6. The boss itself is a heavy motor, LS motors are lighter, made of alluminium

So yes the LS responds better to cams than boss but a cammed boss is still a very nice motor.. I'd prefer to boost a boss than cam it. (Especially the lower comp versions)

Your question is about cams but the answer is opposite if boosting motors.. When boosting a boss motor there are big gains, not so much in LS cars (compression)
1. the replacement is boost

2. Apart from the 260, they don't have more comp, depending on which models your comparing.

3. Boss motors love to rev, are you sure you owned one?

4. LS are cheap and easy to mod, not really 'de-tuned' as that would indicate a 'tune only' can release lots of HP, which it can't.

Probably the biggest down side to a Boss is they are harder to work on and more expensive (4 cams) to mod. Not as easy for Joe blow to slap a cam and valve springs in then send it off for a tune..
4 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2015, 12:10 AM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Because the 4 valve head breaths better in the first place!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2015, 02:06 AM   #15
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parfrey View Post
1. the replacement is boost

2. Apart from the 260, they don't have more comp, depending on which models your comparing.

3. Boss motors love to rev, are you sure you owned one?

4. LS are cheap and easy to mod, not really 'de-tuned' as that would indicate a 'tune only' can release lots of HP, which it can't.

Probably the biggest down side to a Boss is they are harder to work on and more expensive (4 cams) to mod. Not as easy for Joe blow to slap a cam and valve springs in then send it off for a tune..
Yep. Ls motors are a dollar a dozen, every chump has one cus they're cheap and easy to work on. This makes parts easier to get also for your average modder!

This is shown or magnified in the USA!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #16
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
when playing with my Boss 290 years ago, we were seeing 280-290 rwkw from an unopened motor, head and cam package tuned LS1's we were seeing 260's on the same dyno
What sort of cams were the LS's using, in comparison to whats available for 5.4's?

I reckon you'd be able to get much bigger cams for the LS motors, if could put up with the bad manners.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #17
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

In a previous life I had a head cam (fair bit of overlap) LS1 mafless tune OTR 3" single and 287rwkw from 227rwkw. Head cam part was 5.5k drive in drive out. OMG the sound of the thing. Later of course I had a call from the new owner asking if I had the stock exhaust to try and quieten it and get the yellow off he'd collected. But the sound OMG. I have a video I saved of ur last day I had it and I miss that sound sooooo

With 3.91's in the manual it was tons of fun. About on the civilized limit of what could be gotten out of the 5.7 at the time with a cam. I do miss it a tad, the Miami is a magnificent stick but it just wish sometimes it was a bit less civilised with more V8 darkness/mood, more America less Euro (not like you car about that when you give it a shove). It's just that damn sweet and dare I say sophisticated. Anyone got a link to a example of a cammed version of either I don't think I've heard a cammed 5.4 or 5.0?
Old 19-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #18
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree sound and performance it's definitely ls >>>> boss motors
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #19
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes the bos powered Falcons are generally a few hundred KG heavier as well as taller geared especially a BTR version. The Boss motors often show more grunt on the dyno however. I rule
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
I do miss it a tad, the Miami is a magnificent stick but it just wish sometimes it was a bit less civilised with more V8 darkness/mood, more America less Euro (not like you car about that when you give it a shove). It's just that damn sweet and dare I say sophisticated.
I agree with this 100% and while you mention a Miami I think the same can be said for a Boss. It is actually one of the things I hated about my FG 5.4 - coming from a cammed Windsor, the Boss in comparison was almost clinical, sterile, no character etc.
Old 19-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #21
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’ve always thought the majority of LS motors sound ordinary though very occasionally and I do mean very occasionally you hear a half decent one.

This is my cammed and ported heads LS2 with a quiet Walkingshaw catback exhaust and factory HSV headers and cats backed with a manual gearbox.
A good tuner has no problem in tuning it to give good driving manners.

Even though this car has a quiet exhaust to help keep it less noticeable, in my opinion the LS cammed motors even when fitted with a 100cpi Cats, 4 into 1’s and 3 inch exhaust are still ordinary. Maybe I'm just too old and showing my age as I believe you can't beat the sound of a old school cammed Cleveland 351/302 or Holden 308/253 and to me nothing else rates.

Now this old school 304 wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding but it sounds good getting around.

By the way these videos were taken on the same day with the same cheap camera.

One day I'll get around to doing one of the Cleveland, it sounds even better.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #22
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’ve always thought the majority of LS motors sound ordinary though very occasionally and I do mean very occasionally you hear a half decent one.

This is my cammed and ported heads LS2 with a quiet Walkingshaw catback exhaust and factory HSV headers and cats backed with a manual gearbox.
A good tuner has no problem in tuning it to give good driving manners.

Even though this car has a quiet exhaust to help keep it less noticeable, in my opinion the LS cammed motors even when fitted with a 100cpi Cats, 4 into 1’s and 3 inch exhaust are still ordinary. Maybe I'm just too old and showing my age as I believe you can't beat the sound of a old school cammed Cleveland 351/302 or Holden 308/253 and to me nothing else rates.

Now this old school 304 wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding but it sounds good getting around.

I used to have a VY SS with otr, tune and full di fillipo 2 and a half with the mufflers deleted for hotdogs + di fillipo extractors

Sounded horn
Old 19-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #23
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

I think this sounds awesome.

http://youtu.be/bQdhcU26tZ4
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #24
Sa45

Dont get me wrong i to think the boss motors sound hot as once cam work gets done... Its just last night i was driving behind a cammed ss ve ute and Imo they just sound more evil riffle like back fire during gear changes sounded awesome
Sa45 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #25
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a bad tune can make a small cam sound like a big one

Old 19-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #26
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
I think this sounds awesome.

http://youtu.be/bQdhcU26tZ4
Eww what did they do to that Monaro
Old 19-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #27
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
I used to have a VY SS with otr, tune and full di fillipo 2 and a half with the mufflers deleted for hotdogs + di fillipo extractors

Sounded horn
This is my old VE with Di Filippo 4 into1’s, 100 cpi cats, Hurricane mufflers and 3 inch system.

It’s was tuned with OTRCAI but not cammed, it crackled on over run everytime I backed off and people would turn and look, it was loud but crap.

Which brings me to your comment and your system and why yours may sound good.

It’s not just the cam that makes a car sound great, it’s the exhaust brand, materials used, pipe diameter, the cats and different muffler types then throw that out the window as we all hear things differently and have different tastes in what sounds good.

I grew up listening to the hotdog exhausts of the 60’s and 70’s V8’s and they are still the pinnacle for me. I struggle with the newer sound.

I agree that clip CTP-RPD posted does sound great but you don’t hear many LS motors on the street that remotely sound the same and I bet if you searched YouTube you could find an equally awesome sounding Ford.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #28
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
This is my old VE with Di Filippo 4 into1’s, 100 cpi cats, Hurricane mufflers and 3 inch system.

It’s was tuned with OTRCAI but not cammed, it crackled on over run everytime I backed off and people would turn and look, it was loud but crap.

Which brings me to your comment and your system and why yours may sound good.

It’s not just the cam that makes a car sound great, it’s the exhaust brand, materials used, pipe diameter, the cats and different muffler types then throw that out the window as we all hear things differently and have different tastes in what sounds good.

I grew up listening to the hotdog exhausts of the 60’s and 70’s V8’s and they are still the pinnacle for me. I struggle with the newer sound.

I agree that clip CTP-RPD posted does sound great but you don’t hear many LS motors on the street that remotely sound the same and I bet if you searched YouTube you could find an equally awesome sounding Ford.
Yeah had a mate with a VZ SS series 1 (ls1) and he got the 3 inch di fillipo and when we compared them we both agreed that my 2.5 di fillipo with hotdogs sounded much better.

I wondered what his 3 inch would be like if he deleted the mufflers for hot dogs. My XB is mild with a 2 inch and craps on them all lol
Old 19-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #29
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Eww what did they do to that Monaro

Turned it into an EVIL GOAT.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #30
zilo
BANNED

I prefer a sweet perfectly pitched turbo sound in every way compared to a rough shakey cam.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: