Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-03-2005, 12:19 AM   #1
Sundeep
Banned

Cool Need some opinions/advice from turbo peoples (long)

Eh peoples :

I been doing some research on getting an intercooler put in and some piping made up for my turbo kit this week. I didn't really want to put a post up for fear of being called a 'gunna' but I wanted to know what people think.

Annnnyyyway, it all started on Monday when I went down to AFAS RallySport in Croydon and asked them for a quote just for giggles. They have their 450RWKW BA XR6T ute on the cover of Brute Ute's magazine this month. Anyways, the guys there are very professional and seem to know a lot about what they're talking about. They spent about half an hour going over the engine bay checking it all out for space and where to run the piping etc. I don't have a cooler atm so they said that they'd put their old XR6 turbo one in as well. They said that for a 3" exhaust, all the cooler piping installed and a XR6 turbo intercooler it would be roughly $2000-$2200. They also said that they'd run the piping under the guards so that the rad support wouldn't need to be hacked, they said that hacking the rad. support is a big no no.

I was pretty happy with that price as I was left with the feeling that they are pretty competent people who definitely know what would be best, and that when the time comes I should get the work done by them. They also said I was more than welcome to go back whenever I wanted to upgrade anything.

I got on the net afterwards and asked Dan some questions .He said to shop around, and that the XR6 cooler might not be the best cooler to go with as they are usually the first thing ditched when modifying a BA T.

Aight so I been shopping around now. I went down to Exhaust Fix in Croydon and he says he'll do the piping with all silicon connectors, do a full 3" exhaust and mate it to the dump pipe for $1100-$1200. Gilly reckons he can get a cooler like Dan's for $230, so if I get that, get it cut down like Dan's and put that in the price will come up to about $1600. That's a saving of about $2200 on AFAS's quote. I'll probably also need to hack the rad. support if I get a cooler like Dan's, so there's another thing.

Anyways, I just wanted to know what people think I should do, go with cost, or quality and professionals. The $600 saving could buy a lot for me. For one, I need to get new oil seals in the turbo which will cost a futher $500. I'll only do that if it blows major smoke though. I can also get a UniChip for cheap as well, so that's another thing I can buy, but does anyone know if they're good for turbo applications?

If everything goes well, my car should be boosted by the end of April.

Oh and I'll most likely be getting my wheels on Monday or Friday this coming week, so don't stress lol.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 03:13 AM   #2
BuuBox

$2200 sounds a little too much to me, especially since it's only an XR6 turbo intercooler. Depends on how much power you want, I guess. The other option sounds good, but is the 'reckon' a 'definately'? You don't want to be stuffed around, and then have to spend a fortune on another intercooler.

Good luck! Sounds like a nice project.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

what fuel system are u going to be running sunny?
I realise its straight LPG atm, so all a unichip would be doing for u would be ignition timing (if its cheap it would still be worth it but don't forget the install & tune price)
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be going back to petrol at the moment I think.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

Take a good look in the engine bay yourself, and see if you can think of a way to get the piping through without hacking shit up. Then when you've thought of something that might work take your idea to a workshop. That's my opinion anyway

Oh and... once it's in, swing it down my way one night
Old 04-03-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned
Take a good look in the engine bay yourself, and see if you can think of a way to get the piping through without hacking shit up. Then when you've thought of something that might work take your idea to a workshop. That's my opinion anyway

Oh and... once it's in, swing it down my way one night

Something will need to be cut, there is no way around it.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Go with the Exhaust Fix guys. I dont see teh AFAS mob as justified for $220 when theyre giving you a XRT cooler, and i agree with Dan i cant see any way to run it with absolutely NO cutting.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
Damo
Banned

What about Rank Rotary.. ? time factor?

they might give you another sticker!
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have spares
Old 04-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #10
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If ya want Sunny we can still go to RR in the morning. I want to rebook my retune anyway.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #11
EA2BA
PM me if you want

You could awlays make a custom radiator and route near/under that instead of cutting ?

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
Sundeep
Banned

Custom radiator would be more $$$ Jason, but thanks for the idea.

Ned there isn't anyway to get around it without cutting from what I've seen. I know one of the AIT kits took their piping under the radiator support, looked weird as and was only good for a small cooler.

John I'm going back to petrol and using standard fuel system bar possibly a Unichip for now. Hopefully I won't need to stuff around with fuelling too much at first. I know Dan's injectors maxed out at 3PSI, but there's a guy on FM running a Walbro pump or something that seems to be doing alright although he has a Wolf 3D now. I also have a rising rate regulator to chuck on.

From memory Rank wanted $2000 to do Doug's car and could tell him how long he would have to wait so I got over that. Their work's pretty good but I can't afford it lol! They're also too far from home.

I think at this stage I'm going to go with Exhaust Fix for sure, it's just that I have to tell him how I want the pipes run and where. So I have to figure all that out, and also get the cooler and get it cut down.

And AFAS want $600 for the BA Turbo cooler, $600 for making the piping and $800-$1000 for a exhaust. They showed me the exhaust for their XR6T that they made and it was all tucked up nice and neat under the body, looked pretty pro. They also said it was only 89dB at idle.

Sundeep
Old 04-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #13
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine looks pro now! I have nearly legal clearance!!
Mick Malta has that AIT cooler setup, think dougs old cooler except Black and more obvious.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #14
EFFalcon
Last warning

hahah, i have pics of mickmalta's car if u want to see his cooler hanging out :P
why not look at how Rmyers is done... it tucks away nicely, but still had to cut stuff :P
welded piping to chassis rails anyone!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #15
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats the compromise you have to make. lol. I like Rmyers setup way more than mine. It likely flows way better than my dodgy silicon right angle bends under the headlights but it does the job
Old 04-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #16
Sundeep
Banned

Would I have to alter the bar like Steve if I got a cooler like that? I'm not a fan of doing that Swift have done, but I can handle chopping the bottom slat of a EA bar. Can you guys post pics of what it looks like all mounted up? Also Steve, do you have the dimensions of the cooler? Are you still selling it?

Sundeep
Old 04-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #17
EASPRINT
FPV GT-P 335!

My setup..Cooler $400.00, Piping 3" Mandrel under gaurds $600.00 and 3" mandrel exhaust $400.00. That an estimate quote for ya sunny.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
RotaryPower3

You definatly have to cut shit! ;)

Here's some pics of my setup when it was getting made, and no cutting of the bumper was needed...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~disc...ed_build_pics/

I've got ABS too which could've made things a little different...

Last edited by RotaryPower3; 04-03-2005 at 08:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #19
Yagz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryPower3
You definatly have to cut shit! ;)

Here's some pics of my setup when it was getting made, and no cutting of the bumper was needed...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~disco11/ed%20build%20pics/egg/ed_build_pics/

I've got ABS too which could've made things a little different...

That's an awesome setup mate.. Who did that?

Got anymore information on your car? Power output, setup details, more pictures, etc?

Thanks,
Yagz
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 12:41 AM   #20
Sundeep
Banned

RotaryPower3, where did you get the cooler from and how much was it? Could you please PM me with the details.

Also what Yagz asked ;)

Sundeep
Old 05-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #21
Sundeep
Banned

And Dave, don't you have the same cooler as Dan and Doug? You had to get that bar to make it all fit huh? Do you have any pics of the front end with the bar off?

Sundeep
Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #22
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

RotaryPower3: Were you the one that welded 2 RX7 intercooler cores together?
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #23
EASPRINT
FPV GT-P 335!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Dave, don't you have the same cooler as Dan and Doug? You had to get that bar to make it all fit huh? Do you have any pics of the front end with the bar off?

Sundeep
Yeah, same sort of cooler....but i've noticed alot of various brands. I got some cheaper one's at work, but the welding is a bit dodgy.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:35 AM   #24
RotaryPower3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
That's an awesome setup mate.. Who did that?
Got anymore information on your car? Power output, setup details, more pictures, etc?
No power figures yet, as it's still a work in progress (while I drive it everyday). And with my super budget fuel enrichment, it's running stupidly rich ATM. ;)

I'm running the factory computer, with a rising rate reg as the only mod, apart from the extra injectors. Which are just a couple of cold start injectors (no pulsing, just on or off) staged by 2 boost switches. I was going to spend some time getting the injectors sorted but now I'm just going to put in some normal pulsed injectors and run them off the Jaycar digital pulse adjuster.
The turbo is just a TO4, .6cover, v-trim wheel. It had a 1.15 exhaust housing, but it was a little big so I swapped it for a 1.0. It's mounted on a J pipe made of steam pipe bends and attatched to the standard manifold with a flange welded to it. Then off into a 3inch mandrel exhaust system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
RotaryPower3, where did you get the cooler from and how much was it? Could you please PM me with the details.
The cooler is madeup out of 2 s4 RX7 coolers. That and the turbo were off my RX3 (turbo was too small for the rota).
All the metal work was done by Trikfab. You can email Darren at "trikfab(at)dart.net.au" or PM me for a number
Old 06-03-2005, 02:38 AM   #25
RotaryPower3

Injectors, just before throttle body...