Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 
Default AU IRS LSD's what had them?

After seeing an add for a AU IRS diff centre out of a fairmont ghia VCT Series 1, which AFAIK they didn't have LSD. I thought i'd ask the question did they or didn't they, and also what IRS cars did have LSD's?

Old 05-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

XR6 VCT
XR8
Fairmont Ghia (both VCT I6 and V8)
Fairlane (both)
LTD (both)

The XR6 HP got live axle, as did every Forte, Futura, Fairmont, every Ute and every Wagon (all from series 1 through 3).

Fairmont may have had an IRS option, but I don't think so.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ive also seen an AU 'S' pack and ESP with IRS
Old 05-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
XR6 VCT
XR8
Fairmont Ghia (both VCT I6 and V8)
Fairlane (both)
LTD (both)

The XR6 HP got live axle, as did every Forte, Futura, Fairmont, every Ute and every Wagon (all from series 1 through 3).

Fairmont may have had an IRS option, but I don't think so.
Fairmont Ghia Series 2 and 3 6 cylinder cars had the IRS set up with no LSD, although I believe it was an optional extra.

Not sure about the V8's though...
Old 05-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
'Cept for cop cars.
I remember once we did a diff on one of the cabs, and we bought an LSD from the wreckers out of an ex cop car. Worked well! We knew it was an LSD cos it had a huge tag saying so...
Old 05-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
sly
Sly like a G6

Yeah, but LSD's were optional on live axles as well as IRS.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Well mine fairmont ghia v8 S1 doesn't, our fairlane ghia v8 S2 doesn't and neither does my mates fairmont ghia S1 vct.

Another mates fairmont (non ghia) v8 S1 has LSD but that was live axle.

I'm more talking about the LSD factor.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
MADED-6
MADED.6

do you want to put an lsd centre in ur car?
if so i have an ed lsd centre in mine and it drives perfect.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the guts is the same live axle vs IRS...
just the housing is different
Old 05-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No live axle is different in the cones and spiders, the spider doesn't have a spline onto the axle, it has a spline which goes into the cone, the cone is totally different and has a groove in it for circlip.

MADED-6 - be careful with yours if you haven't changed cones, you can put the non lsd unit in but it doesn't have the circlip grooves, instead the circlip forces into between the cones/spider which could cause problems.

More what i'm looking at is though, if i buy a 3.45 centre out of an AU with IRS than what did have lsd so i know which ones to look for.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was speaking to a diff person previously on here and he said they are the same.
and several other people actually who also said they are the same

so may need to do further investigation
Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #12
MADED-6
MADED.6

yeah ive had no problems just the lsd is stuffed as it was second hand when i put it in.
would a ba centre fit into our carriers?
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BA ute probably
BA sedan.. no. . as its a DANA diff not a Borgy
Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

/edit: ignore me
Old 07-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines a S1 Fairmont Ghia with IRS and lsd. It may have been an extra on mine
though cause it has all the Tickford options that were avail at the time. If you
can see the whole diff assembly before you buy if it has lsd it will have a tag stating it.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

high performance does NOT mean lsd on the tag either lol
Old 08-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
TCK-098

Mine defianately dont have lsd : got everything else and ive priced up a new one 1500 why pay that for a car thats only worth 8000 and the wreckers want 750 for clapped out item much better off buying a written off car at the auction and making profit off parts and having the centre that many of us would want.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TCK-098 i got quoted $660 fitted for a new factory spec LSD center retaining the same gears more if you want different ratio gears obviously or $1500 for an aftermarket tougher unit(probably along the lines of a KAAZ diff)
Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #19
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the other option is a 4wd systems lokka. i know it's not an lsd, but better imo. these disengage when cornering, so you aren't chewing out tyres all the time and they engage once under power, so there's no friction pads to wear out and cause slip. they are about $500 from 4wd systems, but not sure how much for installation. may be something else to keep in mind if you use the car at the drags or similar...just my 2c
http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Ive also seen an AU 'S' pack and ESP with IRS

ESP? In an AU? That didn't come out until BF, and even then they called it DSC. Are you sure it wasn't just traction control.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #21
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
Mines a S1 Fairmont Ghia with IRS and lsd. It may have been an extra on mine
though cause it has all the Tickford options that were avail at the time. If you
can see the whole diff assembly before you buy if it has lsd it will have a tag stating it.
Seeing as yours is a VCT John, the IRS and LSD would have come standard.

Ahhhh! So many acronyms!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #22
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually mine has DSC, and if you don't believe me come for a drive and i'll prove it to you :

A mate of mine has a Kaaz diff centre, nasty piece of equipment, clunks and bangs and sorts of things, not nice at all, when i first saw it, it was on the hoyst and i could have sworn it was just a blown up diff centre.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #23
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think people have to realise 90% of the time performance driveline parts means industrial operation... its gonna clunk...bang and make a bit of noise... but at least you know at the end of the day its gonna hold in there and not break after 2 mins of punishment(eg detroit lockers and 4wd system lokkas and by the sound of it these kaaz diffs.. hell even a worked transmission isnt smooth it bangs into gear)
Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #24
LOWAU

Ford LSD diffs are crap, If you drive your car hard you will be rebuilding them after a year or two.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #25
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Hey guys just joined the forum. I bought a green au fairlane ghia V8 bog stock four weeks ago and there is no lsd but has very hard gear changes maybe a tricked up gearbox? So even the V8s dont have lsd as standard.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #26
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welcome to the forum and the LWB club green guzzler (I also have a oxford green AU Fairlane (mines only a 6 damn you)

id say get your trans serviced ASAP.. as hard changes can be a bit low on fluid so it ups the line pressure to compensate
i think mechanical shift kits shift hard on the way up AND down and shift responsivly to pedal input
Old 10-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #27
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to disagree on the ford's LSD's are crap, especially considering they are the same as renown vl turbo diff, and i have put some thru some utter punishment and never had a problem.

Kaaz diff centres are a copy of detroit lockers, except owned by an american company and made in china, IMO from what i have seen of them, you'd be more likely to break an axle with it, then a spool would, cause of the sudden jerk and clunk of it, it takes approx 1/3 of a turn of the tailshaft before it locks onto the wheels from free spinning, my experience with anything that has play before grabbing is that it increases breakages enourmously.

Look at it this way, if your on roller skates and i hit you with my car thats doing 20km/h, your gonna get hurt. But if your leaning on the front of my car with the roller skates on and i accelerate to 20km/h its a different story.

the 4wd lokka seems to be of a much better non clunking design from what i have seen its very similar to a true track centre which has no wearing components, doesn't cause clunking around corners etc.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #28
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is some clunk in the lokka but theres heaps more "teeth" by the sound of it

and its always locked UNLESS turning which is when it unlocks and does its little click click click like a ratchet or the wheel of fortune.. then it locks back in and your away
the E series guys havnt had ANY issues with them AND they fit fine in the AU IRS as they have the required parts machined in (what ever they are)

and i know a certain white twin turbo NC fairlane that has a ford LSD that was rebuilt and its ran fine for YEARS with a good caining and its got loads of torque
Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #29
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nope i take back what i said, just had a look at website and the locker is nothing like a true trac.

I think the likes of these sound great.

http://www.torsen.com/products/T-1.htm
Old 10-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU
Ford LSD diffs are crap, If you drive your car hard you will be rebuilding them after a year or two.
Really? I didn't know that, hang on that's because you are wrong.

I've had my XR8 for 2 years now and all but 3 months of that it has had the 347 in it. I drive it hard, it has been on a skid pan and has done numerous 1/4 passes. The diff has only ever been touched to change the oil and it is silent, still works as an LSD too.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post